Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Nice Cochiti Loop

Did a nice loop out Cochiti this past weekend. It's the #2 loop of the NMES which I think is the best way to ride this loop. 38.7mi and 6k of climbing elevation - Starting next to Dixion apple farm climb up Cochiti Canyon through Media Dia Trail - climb a few FS roads to the Crosstown trail, Crosstown over and through Motown trail. Then a nice decent down Carl Shipman and back. The trails are in great shape - Only one big ass tree was down on Media Dia trail - Crosstown and Motown are clear thanks to moto guys - Carl Shipman is real loose but I think it's always been like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Vita brevis
    Very nice.

Bandolero
    Loop 1 and loop 2 are nice. I agree that loop 2 is nicer than loop 1. Dome road is really hot. Loop 2 you're in the trees and the stream cools you off for the climb. Then the baby head technical double track. Carl Shipman is the bonus.

mtbr member
    Good info, thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    great lizard pic!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by granpa
    great lizard pic!!!

He almost got smashed. I stopped on the trail and then I noticed him almost under my front tire.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by red5jedi; 05-22-2009 at 11:53 AM.

banned
    Nice pics, Rich!

Cochiti is great this time of year. I have yet to find the crosstown/motown trails.

High Alpine Adventure

Training are we???

Good to see Nate out... thought the boy was only a roadie and swimmer!!!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Nice pics, Rich!

Cochiti is great this time of year. I have yet to find the crosstown/motown trails.

Here's a map that will help you find them.

banned
    Thanks! That will come in handy. About 8 years ago we set out on a mission and turned right at the gate above Griffins cabin. Somehow ended up on Crosstown and my buddy got a flat. We had everything we needed to fix it except a couple of wrenches to remove his rear wheel. Believe it or not, he jogged all of the way from the Crosstown TH via Medio Dia to Dixons. That was a long day! I have never been able to repeat that route. It would probably take a psychiatrist due to the nature of the memory.

mtbr member
    Nice pics, Rich!

I've got GPS tracks for the northern trails, such as xtown/motown, Shipman, as well as some trails that don't have marker signs (dragonspine, north pass). I can send them to ya and you can put them on your GPS. Oh wait, you don't carry a GPS... Anyone else is welcome to them then.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned

Just give me a map and a compass...

Quote Originally Posted by Rotmilky
    I've got GPS tracks for the northern trails, such as xtown/motown, Shipman, as well as some trails that don't have marker signs (dragonspine, north pass). I can send them to ya and you can put them on your GPS. Oh wait, you don't carry a GPS... Anyone else is welcome to them then.
    Hows about you just show me the trails

mtbr member
    I want to be there for that one. I did those trails a couple of times in the past, but I don't think I could figure them out anymore. They are some really cool trails, though.
    The trails in these photos above look pretty darn sweet, as well. I'd love to check that out.
    What's happening tomorrow?

mtbr member
    I would like to get the GPS points for Dragonspine and North Pass. Just send them to rich@cyclingtrek.org. Are these trails in the same area?

Does anyone have GPS data for the trail around Battleship Rock?

Thanks.

mtbr member

thanks

Thanks for giving the moto guys credit for clearing. It is always appreciated. We have worked really hard so far this season to open up those trails. A few of us been up there 4 weekends in a row and have cleared well over 100 trees off the various trails and were still not done.

BTW there is lots more killer single track up there, you only got into some of the good stuff!!

Thanks again, Happy Trails!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodhog
    Thanks for giving the moto guys credit for clearing. It is always appreciated. We have worked really hard so far this season to open up those trails. A few of us been up there 4 weekends in a row and have cleared well over 100 trees off the various trails and were still not done.

BTW there is lots more killer single track up there, you only got into some of the good stuff!!

You moto guys do a great job keeping Cochiti rideable for everyone. If it wasn't for you those trails would quickly disappear.

Thanks to all of you.

mtbr member

You guys rock. Nice work on the water drainage on Motown - that must have taken a lot of time also. I owe you a beer or two.

banned

The trails are sweet, woodhog. Thanks for the hard work!

mtbr member
    You're always welcome this way...if you guys would start on the N end instead of way the heck down near Dixon's.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by red5jedi
    I would like to get the GPS points for Dragonspine and North Pass. Just send them to rich@cyclingtrek.org. Are these trails in the same area?

Does anyone have GPS data for the trail around Battleship Rock?

Thanks.
    I spent the weekend looking for my maps of Dragonspine and North Pass. Can't find them. My other computer that had most of my maps died last year. I finally got around to gimping together a franken-PC long enough to offload my old maps. Maybe I missed those two? Until I find them, the trails start at

Northpass: 35.826095,-106.476805 It's actually on the S side of the road, not the N like the map shows, but if I try to get a WP on the S side of the road, Google maps defaults to the road.

Dragonspine: 35.825386,-106.478832 This is a couple hundred yards up the road from Northpass, but the trail follows along the ridgline that parallels NM 4. You can also use this as a way into Medio Dia...you be passing right along the northernmost portions of the canyon. There's little trail this far N, but you'll find snippets here and there, plus you're following a canyon bottom, so it's easy to find.

If you have questions, shoot me a message.

banned

Meet you half way....

You're always welcome this way...if you guys would start on the N end instead of way the heck down near Dixon's.
    We could meet @ Carl Shipman sometime. Sportsman used to do crazy rides like that.

mtbr member
    We could meet @ Carl Shipman sometime. Sportsman used to do crazy rides like that.
    Yup, I'd be down for that...or up for....or whatever.

banned
    We could meet you at the CS dump at the bottom, continue up Alamos SB's, down Killer SB's to Medio Dia and completing the loop we did yesterday. You would get the Motown/CS descent in the beginning and we would have to suffer for the reward.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Cochiti 100

Don't forget the "ride" coming up in three days! Check the NMES site for details. Only two riders have completed all three loops over the last two years (during the event). Since we are starting a little earlier, the Dome climb will be cooler, and with the loop order change, the Bland climb will be later (and hopefully cooler). Maybe more will complete the event this year.

Weather may actually clear by Saturday, but what's the mountains without a threat of rain?

Thanks to the MOTO FOLKS for all the hard work.

See you, dark and early Saturday!

Cow

mtbr member
    We could meet you at the CS dump at the bottom, continue up Alamos SB's, down Killer SB's to Medio Dia and completing the loop we did yesterday. You would get the Motown/CS descent in the beginning and we would have to suffer for the reward.
    That would be good...since I've not done the Alamo or Killer SBs that I know of.

What's the CS dump?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast