mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Newbie trailhunting north of Los Alamos

Anyone know any great trails north of Los Alamos such as Espanola or Alcalde even all the way in Penasco just trail hunting and looking for new exciting places to improve all skills in mountain biking. Even new riding partners thanks!

banned
    I am not familiar with any riding in those areas. If you find something, be sure to post up!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Make the short trip up to Taos, tons of great stuff I can help with here.

Just up the road out of Pilar you can hit the west rim trail that goes all the way up to the gorge bridge, nothing all that exciting but great views.

Penasco has trails all around it. I have ridden many of them and they are mostly abandoned Forest Service Roads but very fun. You need this map:

Let me know if you need more help with the northern reaches of your range.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

U.S. Bombs

Great trails in Chama: continental divide ride out of Cumbres, La Manga just up the road, and the Sargeant Elk Refuge on northside of town, and a little further to the Conejos River around Platoro(mostly forest roads,but nice n wild), and continental divide trail up there too.

banned
    Agreed, but be ready to explore..and take some good maps. Hook up with a local named Turner Dave (if you can), and he'll show you the goods. It's about an hour north of Espanola.