Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    banned

New Travel Management Plan

Has anyone seen this. I have been spotting motos on Otero/Tunnel lately. Guess it's ok?

The dotted lines are "motorcycle Only" desigantions...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    You sure about that? I thought the Cedro area was to be the motorized area, and Tunnel, Otero and David Canyon were to stay Nonmotorized.

banned

B&w

..unless I am reading this wrong? I hope so.

Bandolero

Le Freak!

I do not believe Closure Order No.03-211 was rescinded.

http://gis.fs.fed.us/r3/cibola/trave...r_no03_211.pdf

See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

banned
    So whats the deal? If they get caught, it looks like they have an argument.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Hey Nota. Give us your words of wisdom on this. Do you know anythinng?

Bandolero

Ignorance of the Law Is a Perfectly Good Excuse

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    So whats the deal? If they get caught, it looks like they have an argument.
    Yep, but ignorance of the law is no defense.

I argue that I should not be subject to the laws of gravity and motion all the time.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by notaknob

I argue that I should not be subject to the laws of gravity and motion all the time.
    When your young, dumb, and full of ***, the laws of gravity and motion do not apply.

The good ole days...here is the next genre of Bandos

Bandolero

Read a bit more

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Has anyone seen this. I have been spotting motos on Otero/Tunnel lately. Guess it's ok?

The dotted lines are "motorcycle Only" desigantions...
    It appears that motorcycles ARE allowed on Tunnel, Otero and David Canyon. Based upon this closure notice, paragraph 7. I'm sure that most users of these trails do not know this. I sure didn't.

They are closed to ATVs. I think most motorcycle riders in the know just pass it up so as to avoid hiker/biker conflict. Now that this has been publicized, expect to see more.

RCC's on beer slugging duties for the foreseeable future.

banned

This could be very interesting.

If I didn't know better, I would say that he knew it all along

Bandolero Crew N.M.

Upset

It appears that motorcycles ARE allowed on Tunnel, Otero and David Canyon. Based upon this closure notice, paragraph 7. I'm sure that most users of these trails do not know this. I sure didn't.

They are closed to ATVs. I think most motorcycle riders in the know just pass it up so as to avoid hiker/biker conflict. Now that this has been publicized, expect to see more.

I ran into a moto today that was making a video of David, Otero andTunnel for the morotized gang. And the Ranger station is giving free maps thay showes this ares open to all two wheeled travel. Better keep your ears open out there now. From what this guy says, word is spreading fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah, it was bound to happen, I was just wondering when. I was up a Cedro last week and came across some people on 4-wheelers tearing down the barriers and removing the no 4-wheeler allowed signs. Both of which were put up by the forest service. It looked like they were also carrying chain saws (illegal cutting too) to widen the trail where it gets to narrow for them.

Other trails that were closed to motorized vehicles, like the one from the Juan Thomas parking area, are now being taken over by motorcycles and 4-wheelers. I saw the trail sign that had the X'ed out motorcycles/4-wheelers was literally broken off at the base. I'm less concerned about the motorcyles as the 4-wheelers. They really kill the single track - making them wide and wiping out the berms.

I'm contemplating stopping at the ranger station on the way out. My only concern is they may close it to all mechanized vehicles...

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    This change makes no sense. Throwing motorcycles on these trails loaded with hikers and bikes on ST.I guess now that they have torn up the Cedro area the Forest Service thought they need somewhere else to screw up the trails. I thought the FS knew what it was doing when they kept the motos in Cedro and hikers and bikes in Otero. Whoever decided to allow motos back in the Otero system made a bad call. I sure dont want Otero to look like the Cedro trails.

I <3 NM
    Reading about motos on Otero makes me wanna throw-up...

That trail is prime singletrack and now it will be destroyed.

I did a race up in Arkansas in April on a trail that was open to moto's and it was horrible. A deep rut in teh middle of what would be single track that was deep enough to keep you from making a full pedal stroke, all of the corners were washed out and full of loose dirt.. not to mention moto riders forcing mtb'ers off the trail.

This development is sickening... literally.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

tiggs

Horrible, absoultely horrible

It just goes to show where the interests of those in charge lie. This is a most disappointing turn of events for that area, but one that probably was destined to happen eventually.

7MGTE
    Well if you own a moto it would be cool, I am sure RCC will be having fun on his moto. I like motos so looking for used dirt bike this season to mix things up some with my training (and skill set).

I know what you all are saying (everyone) but I would have NO prob with it if Mtn. bikers could go on ANY trail the hikers can go on. Man we are in America right? We are in a free country right or is that just what we tell the rest of the world?

I am not sure what my take is on the ATVs however due to they make single track into double tracks.

Single Speed Junkie
    With Motos it can be a good thing all depends upon the rider. Seeing RCC a few weeks / months back out at Cedro on his was a NON issue with other bikers. We saw him a few times and never did we feel as if we were forced off any trails.

The ATV are just a wilderness wheelchair. Allowing the masses to get wayout into the middle of nowhere and jack it up for everyone else. WHY would one want to ride an ATV even at Cedro much less Otero? Last season we cam across an ATV rider and needed to pass. All he could do was tear up the trail attempting to get the thing down the trail.

No one disagrees that the trails are multi-use, but should be limited to single track capable vehicles only.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey guys,
    I'm possibly one of the motorcycle guys you have seen out in the Otero/Tunnel canyon area. So far I've ran into mostly negative reactions and comments from fellow MTB and hiking trail users. Had a somewhat heated exchange of words from an MTB'er on Friday with someone that I think is participating in this discussion. No matter what I said and what maps I tried showing him (the official travel management plan map I had just picked up from the ranger station) he was dead set on giving me a hard time and accusing me of being wrong threatening to call a ranger on me. I was fine with that as it would prove that I was correct but as far as I know he never did.

I think right now you'll mostly see motorcycle riders like myself. Those that are responsible, give the right of way to everyone they meet on the trail, are constantly scanning the trail ahead looking for people and keeping speeds way down. We need to share these trails and I know I'd hate to be the hiker or biker who just got dusted by a motorcyclist that appeared to be out of control and tearing things up. I'd just like to see a little respect in return. Riding single track on a motorcycle takes a skill set and user mentality that the bad apples of our sport are usually not interested in. Slow and technical vs. high speed desert blasting.

So anyway, just trying to find some more info on the trails in that area and hopefully squash any misconceptions that some people have about us, responsible motorized users. I do agree with the other poster that these trails are NOT for ATV users. The "wilderness wheelchair" comment is very fitting. I like my single track being exactly that, a single track! If you guys see a motorcyclist patiently waiting for someone to pass on a blue and yellow Husqvarna then that is probably me.

mtbr member
    Just came from the trails day event at Elena where we were told by the forest service that new signage would be going in next week (or so) along with patrols on motorcycles. Tickets to be issued by forest service personnel. Interestingly enough they mentioned that singletrack in the Cedro area would be closed due to being on private property. When questioned he couldn't name the trails. Anyone else heard about pending closures in Cedro area?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    As far as I know, that travel management map is official. If a trail will be closed then it won't be one that is on that map.

Quote Originally Posted by desert flower
    Just came from the trails day event at Elena where we were told by the forest service that new signage would be going in next week (or so) along with patrols on motorcycles. Tickets to be issued by forest service personnel. Interestingly enough they mentioned that singletrack in the Cedro area would be closed due to being on private property. When questioned he couldn't name the trails. Anyone else heard about pending closures in Cedro area?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dualsporter
    Hey guys,
    I'm possibly one of the motorcycle guys you have seen out in the Otero/Tunnel canyon area. .
    You surely deserve some credit for your willingness to establish a dialogue in this mtb forum. Unfortunately, it's pretty certain that once motos start migrating to tunnel/otero, they'll all follow, and then the fact that there's a relative handfull of considerate riders won't much matter relative to the impact of the rest.

Furthermore, regardless of how hard you try, I find it hard to imagine how a rig as heavy and powerful as a moto can navigate the steep, loose, rocky climbs characteristic of the area without having the impact on the terrain that motos usually have. It's kind of like saying you have a 1000 watt stereo, but never turn it up loud enough to disturb anybody. It all depends on what you call loud and being disturbed. In this case, it all depends upon what you call impacting fragile terrain.

I also can't imagine the FS having a clue as to the existing use pattern of this area, and still making it available to motos. Unlike cedro, tunnel/otero is way more popular with hikers, including families with little kids and little ol' ladies watching birds.

On the one hand, the only reason people aren't run down by motos in cedro is because only a damn fool would fail to get clear of the trail when they heard one coming. And on the other, I'm sure granny's going to be real impressed with your gallantry when you stop to give her the opportunity to squeeze past your rig on one of the tunnel canyon ledges.

Sorry, but try as you might, any noticeable presence of motos in tunnel/otero will ultimately have a significant negative impact on everyone else's use.

mtbr member
    Dualsporter, thanks for trying to keep the peace. Keep up your tread lightly practices and brush off the negative comments. It sucks that we have to share the trails at Otero, but it is what it is.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    You surely deserve some credit for your willingness to establish a dialogue in this mtb forum. Unfortunately, it's pretty certain that once motos start migrating to tunnel/otero, they'll all follow, and then the fact that there's a relative handfull of considerate riders won't much matter relative to the impact of the rest.

Furthermore, regardless of how hard you try, I find it hard to imagine how a rig as heavy and powerful as a moto can navigate the steep, loose, rocky climbs characteristic of the area without having the impact on the terrain that motos usually have. It's kind of like saying you have a 1000 watt stereo, but never turn it up loud enough to disturb anybody. It all depends on what you call loud and being disturbed. In this case, it all depends upon what you call impacting fragile terrain.

I also can't imagine the FS having a clue as to the existing use pattern of this area, and still making it available to motos. Unlike cedro, tunnel/otero is way more popular with hikers, including families with little kids and little ol' ladies watching birds.

On the one hand, the only reason people aren't run down by motos in cedro is because only a damn fool would fail to get clear of the trail when they heard one coming. And on the other, I'm sure granny's going to be real impressed with your gallantry when you stop to give her the opportunity to squeeze past your rig on one of the tunnel canyon ledges.

Sorry, but try as you might, any noticeable presence of motos in tunnel/otero will ultimately have a significant negative impact on everyone else's use.
    Thank You. I could not say it better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun
    Dualsporter, thanks for trying to keep the peace. Keep up your tread lightly practices and brush off the negative comments. It sucks that we have to share the trails at Otero, but it is what it is.

It is unfortunate that there are people even here that twist reality to justify their needs.

banned
    I just don't like to hear much of anything sometimes when I'm on my MTB, especially a moto. It always seems that I end up running into you guys (literally) in the most inopportune moments.

I love motorcycles and If I had one, I would probably want to ride out there too but coming from Cochiti a few weeks ago, I will never understand why you guys would go anywhere else.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast