Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New Trail - Pacheco Canyon to Winsor Connection

There is a great new trail that connects Pacheco Canyon Rd to Griego Hill Trail (HorseShoe Trail) and then continues to the Winsor.

On Pacheco Canyon Rd. parking lot after the "Santa Fe National Forest" sign on right of road going up, there is a steepish looking trail on the east (left if you park head-in) part of the trail...marked with a bright pink ribbon. Trail starts there, and is really smooth and rideable in both directions.

Trail crosses several ridges for a few miles, only a couple of hike-a-bike sections, and joins the Horseshoe Trail (which leads to Griego Hill Rd if you go right), but if you go left the trail goes through a canyon and wash for a few more miles, then there is one 5 minute or so hike to the top of the final ridge, then downhill for a couple of miles and joins the Winsor just below the Chamisa.

If you start at the Winsor (going downhill on the Winsor after 2nd or 3rd creek crossing on the right) it's a 25 minute hike-a-bike to the top of the first ridge, but then a long sweet descent....but it's easy to miss the turn-off for the connection to Pacheco Canyon Rd.

mtbr member
    Thanks! Gonna check that one out!

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by SantaFeMtb View Post
    On Pacheco Canyon Rd. parking lot after the "Santa Fe National Forest" sign on right of road going up, there is a steepish looking trail on the east (left if you park head-in) part of the trail...marked with a bright pink ribbon. Trail starts there, and is really smooth and rideable in both directions.
    Wait, what?

If you park "head in" on Pacheco Canyon Road, Windsor and Big Tesuque Creek canyon is to your right / south. Any trail connecting to Winsor would have to leave from the right side of the road. And PCR runs west to east, so saying that this connector is on the east side of the road makes no sense either.

Map?

mtbr member
    Jim, this is the parking spot after the very first cattle grate on the right. It's about a mile before the actual forest gate that closes in November, and before you see the stream. There is a big National Forest notice board right where the parking spot is, and if you park head-in you will see Rancho Encantado below, and the Winsor will be straight ahead/to your left.

I'll try to attach a photoshopped map.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Trail - Pacheco Canyon to Winsor Connection-screen-shot-2012-05-31-9.40.53-am.jpg  

I ride with tools

I'll try to attach a photoshopped map.....
    I must be stupid or something. If I'm riding up PCR towards Aspen Ranch, that trail you've marked is on the right side, not the left.

What am I missing here?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    I must be stupid or something. If I'm riding up PCR towards Aspen Ranch, that trail you've marked is on the right side, not the left.

What am I missing here?
    No no no. If you looking up the trail upside down while flying in an airplane it will be on your left.

mtbr member
    Wait, what?

If you park "head in" on Pacheco Canyon Road, Windsor and Big Tesuque Creek canyon is to your right / south. Any trail connecting to Winsor would have to leave from the right side of the road. And PCR runs west to east, so saying that this connector is on the east side of the road makes no sense either.

Map?

What am I missing here?
    Sorry, the map I guess is sort of upside down, copied and pasted from Google Maps.
    So consider the bottom of the map (and your computer screen) as going uphill and you should get it.

crap magnet
    There is a big National Forest notice board right where the parking spot is.
    C'mon JimBeam. You know that sign - it's covered with potato peels.

And thanks for the heads-up, SantaFeMtb - I wasn't aware of any trail at that pullout. I've parked there many times and never noticed one so I guess it must be new.
    Last edited by cdaddy; 05-31-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Here is a link.
    Santa Fe, NM - Google Maps

The road goes south along that stretch. You can easily see the trail. So the trail isn't too hard to find to get to Winsor?
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

crap magnet
    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra View Post
    Here is a link.
    Santa Fe, NM - Google Maps

The road goes south along that stretch. You can easily see the trail. So the trail isn't too hard to find to get to Winsor?
    The trail is pretty easy to spot and since that Google photo probably wasn't snapped within the past month or two I'd guess it's been there awhile. Seems strange I've never heard of it.

Anything else you guys aren't telling me?
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    The trail has been there for decades, but it was only barely passable by foot until a couple of years ago, a bunch of guys in the area started cleaning it up, removing downed trees, etc. There are still a few stretches that need to be improved, but going from Pacheco to Winsor is probably 90% rideable now.

ALSO, about half a mile before the Pacheco parking lot (coming from Tesuque) there's a connector to Rio En Medio trail, marked by a cairn pile and a pink ribbon on the left (North) side of the road. It is partially on private property, owned by the Brothers up the road, but they allow mountain bikers, horses, hikers, I run into them all the time hiking and meditating. It's 100% rideable. The trail joins the REM about 1/3 mile below the falls. So a sweet loop is the Pacheco Rd. trail start (locals call this Arrowhead Trail) to Winsor, then up Winsor to the 102 again, left on the 102 and down the REM trail to the connector back to Pacheco Canyon Rd.

mtbr member
    Took a pic today of trailhead with my iPhone on my way up to Aspen Ranch.......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Trail - Pacheco Canyon to Winsor Connection-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Man that is too cool. Can't wait to ride it.

mnt bike laws of physics
    The trail has been there for decades, but it was only barely passable by foot until a couple of years ago, a bunch of guys in the area started cleaning it up, removing downed trees, etc. There are still a few stretches that need to be improved, but going from Pacheco to Winsor is probably 90% rideable now.

ALSO, about half a mile before the Pacheco parking lot (coming from Tesuque) there's a connector to Rio En Medio trail, marked by a cairn pile and a pink ribbon on the left (North) side of the road. It is partially on private property, owned by the Brothers up the road, but they allow mountain bikers, horses, hikers, I run into them all the time hiking and meditating. It's 100% rideable. The trail joins the REM about 1/3 mile below the falls. So a sweet loop is the Pacheco Rd. trail start (locals call this Arrowhead Trail) to Winsor, then up Winsor to the 102 again, left on the 102 and down the REM trail to the connector back to Pacheco Canyon Rd.
    Holy Shiit man, I'm riding that today...only I'll start at Chamisa so as to drive less.

The Arrowhead trail makes riding lower REM so much more appealing and accessible without having to shuttle.

Thanks a lot for posting.

mtbr member
    yogurt, post back about the ride. gps track?

rock that lefty!

mtbr member
    Well at 9:30 last night I hear a knock on the door and it's Yogi wanting a ride back to his car at Borrego TH! He tried to do Borrego-Winsor-old Borrego-Pacheco road near Aspen Ranch-lower REM-cut across to Pacheco-"new" Arrowhead trail - Winsor - back to car.

He didn't take a correct fork or something on Arrowhead and had to bail back to Tesuque via a drainage and then road to Santa Fe. It was getting dark.

Would be great to a map, even hand drawn on a google map, on the arrowhead to Winsor route.

I'm hoping to ride it Sunday morning and Yogi's intended route sounds great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra View Post

He didn't take a correct fork or something on Arrowhead and had to bail back to Tesuque via a drainage and then road to Santa Fe. It was getting dark.

Did he end up on Griego Hill Rd? If so, he missed a quick right hand turn on Horseshoe Trail in Tesuque, it's marked with some pink tape. I'll try and gps it the weekend.

mtbr member
    I rode and did a GPS of the the Arrowhead from Rio En Medio to the 102 to where it connects to the Horseshoe (Griego Hill) Trail in Tesuque today, if anyone wants a gpx file just pm me.....I'll try and do the rest of the trail to Winsor on gps this week....

mnt bike laws of physics
    Did he end up on Griego Hill Rd? If so, he missed a quick right hand turn on Horseshoe Trail in Tesuque, it's marked with some pink tape. I'll try and gps it the weekend.
    I didn't have enough daylight to complete the trial so i had to bail.

I found the trail head which T'd into what looked to be a well worn trail in a drainage. I turned left there and went up a mile or two - the trail continued on but there was a steep trail to the right which went onto the ridge to the south of the drainage. Since the sun was going down fast, i took the ridge trail but realized i couldn't make it out in time so i when i got to the ridge, i went down it to the west which eventually led to Bishops Lodge Rd.

Overall the "new" trail is a sweet addition to the SF network. Somebodies put some serious sweat into opening it up. I look forward to seeing it through next time.

SantaFeMtb, Is it better to just continue up the drainage or to ride the ridge to the south?

mtbr member
    yogi, he and I have been chatting and he'll probably have the whole GPS done tomorrow. I'll post up some google earth images after he sends me the file. Stoked to be able to do lower REM w/o a shuttle. Plan on riding it Sunday morn. Too bad there will be a lot of climbing or I'd be able to try my new platforms on REM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet View Post

SantaFeMtb, Is it better to just continue up the drainage or to ride the ridge to the south?

Continue up the drainage, the trail just gets better from there. Did you end up at San Ysidro church? I think you missed like the best parts of the trail. Anyhow I plan on riding the second half mananaville and I'll gps it.

mtbr member
    Ok, here it is thanks (and rep) to SantaFeMtb. The white line is the route from REM to Winsor. The elevation profile starts at REM. The high point is the ridge just north of Winsor. PM me for a combined GPS file of the two I got from SFMTB. I plan to do old Borrego-Aspen Ranch- lower REM and back to Winsor Sunday morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Trail - Pacheco Canyon to Winsor Connection-arrowhead-edit.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My wife and I live near Pacheco Canyon Rd., and did the original first mile of new work southward from existing trails years ago. We wanted to get to the top of a nearby 8,800' peak (on the left in SantaFeMtb's photo) that we subsequently named "Casper" and put a memorial up there. Early last year we decided to extend our trail south toward Winsor, only to find new ribbons and a tremendous amount of work recently done. Work has continued, but we've never met those responsible. Whoever you are, Thank You!
    Last edited by TesuqueHermit; 08-29-2012 at 03:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TesuqueHermit View Post
    My wife and I live near Pacheco Canyon Rd., and did the original first mile of new work southward from existing trails years ago. We wanted to get to the top of a nearby 8,800' peak (on the left in SantaFeMtb's photo) that we subsequently named "Casper" and put a memorial up there. Early last year we decided to extend our trail south toward Winsor, only to find new ribbons and a tremendous amount of work recently done. Work has continued, but we've never met those responsible. Whoever you are, Thank You!

Was that you that I saw that one day I was out riding it a couple months ago?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    No, not me. We were there yesterday for the first time in months, and marveled at all of the improvements. So I posted our thanks.

My wife has met a guy named "Thomas" (with a German accent) who also uses the local trails, and has set-up dozens of wonderfully-balanced, big cairns around here. Maybe you saw him.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast