Thread: New to Santa Fe

Riding dirt since 1970

New to Santa Fe

Hey Guys,
    The Wife and I are headed to Santa Fe for some riding, and I'm hoping some of you might suggest some rides for us. We are use to fairly technical terrain, and are experienced riders, but we're not in top condition. We run a small animal vet clinic, so riding gets sidelined as a matter of necessity pretty often. That said, I'd like to find some nice, relaxing rides that won't be too taxing for a couple of flat-landers from sea level. We love the beautiful vistas to be had from the mountains, and aren't too proud to shuttle if need be. Truth be told, I'll push if I have to (and have many times ), but I really want my Wife to just enjoy herself. Not trying to avoid all climbing, just long grinds. We were fortunate enough to hook up with some super nice folks from Albuquerque a few years back, and that was a memorable trip. I'll be on a Nomad C, and the Wife will be on a Blur LTC. Any and all help much appreciated .
    Med. Nomad C for sale

mtbr member
    FYI- both the Santa Fe NF and the Cibola NF are closed until we get measurable rain.

Riding dirt since 1970
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    FYI- both the Santa Fe NF and the Cibola NF are closed until we get measurable rain.
    That's good info to know. It's too late at this point for us to change plans (we're meeting family in Santa Fe), so we'll hope for rain and plan to ride if we can. We're still feeling effects of the last drought down here...hope the rain comes soon regardless of our trip.
    Med. Nomad C for sale

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    What is considered "measurable rain"? I thought it was based on enough rain to increase fuel moisture levels to a reasonable level.

mtbr member
    The fire folks have some specific requirements that I can't recite but let's just say several soaking rains.

Riding dirt since 1970
    Is the concern primarily fire danger, or people starting fires? I've bombed a lot of hills, but I don't think anything ever reached kindling temp I do see some rain in the forecast. Any ride suggestions, just in case? How about alternatives close by?
    Med. Nomad C for sale

mtbr member
    It's both-not wanting people in an area with high potential for catastrophic fire (no way to get out in time) as well as greater chance for human caused fire.

I hear there are a few places in SF still open but I don't know which. You can still ride the foothills in Alb (recommend early morning or night) and White Mesa (same recommendation). You can head north to Taos or in 2hours be at the CDT in CO.

Is the bike OK?
    The county of Los Alamos has a ton of trails that are open:
    Los Alamos County Trail Network

Also, Pajarito Ski Area (Pajarito Mountain), just above Los Alamos, is open free to XC bikers because it is not on Forest Service Land either.

Los Alamos is just 45 minutes from Santa Fe.

Riding dirt since 1970
    Great suggestions, Guys. White Mesa is a good ride. I'll look into those araes. Those fires have caused a lot of damage, I see. Found this fire map..clicking on the dots gives details. The 4 active fires they report in N. NM are split between human and lightning caused.
    Active Fire Mapping Program
    Sounds like we should be able to make some adjustments and keep it legal. I really want my Wife to enjoy this trip.
    Med. Nomad C for sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lifer View Post
    Great suggestions, Guys. White Mesa is a good ride. I'll look into those araes. Those fires have caused a lot of damage, I see. Found this fire map..clicking on the dots gives details. The 4 active fires they report in N. NM are split between human and lightning caused.
    Active Fire Mapping Program
    Sounds like we should be able to make some adjustments and keep it legal. I really want my Wife to enjoy this trip.

Don't rule out Los Alamos. Some of the best riding in NM is in that area. There is more single track in a concentrated area in the Los Alamos vicinity than anywhere else you will ride.

Riding dirt since 1970
    That's encouraging, DelNorte. Any personal favorites you'd like to share?
    Med. Nomad C for sale

mtbr member
    The altitude can get ya if you are not acclimated. A good friend of mine came up from Austin last year. We rode La Tierra and he did great. The next day we hit Dale Ball and he was gasping for air. Both of the above mentioned trails arr still open. We got some good rain last night too, so they will be less dusty for a few hours at least. Neither one is technical, but they can be fun....

mtbr member

Re: New to Santa Fe

When I lived there I kept running into the same fire situation. I rode the Barancas(sp?) alot. Out past the opera house 20 min north of SF.

5+ miles of super tech. We put in by some old glass blowing shop on the Southeast side, and the loop was super obvious and on a ridge line the whole way. There is a class V section next to a big cliff for a short stretch. Only saw one other set of tracks in two years.

Its short but made me a much better rider.

Good luck.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

Riding dirt since 1970
    Thanks for the info, Guys. I'm familiar with the altitude issues. That's my excuse to swallow my pride for shuttles...but I always make it up one way or the other.
    Med. Nomad C for sale

mtbr member
    Unfortunately there are no shuttle rides left open right now....

mtbr member

Re: New to Santa Fe

I had a good life in Santa Fe, but the forest closers were a big deal. Two out of the three years I lived there, the line in the sand was drawn just below aspens and the alpine (not to mention the Rio). This was before there were trails in town, so there weren't many options for riding close by.

I hate it for you locals. I hope they open it up soon and you guys can get back on the trail soon.

May the monsoons come soon.
    He/she who works the trails does so in their own image.

Speed just slows me down...

Riding dirt since 1970
    Another awesome trip to NM in the books. RCC, good to see you again-I'm already thinking about coming back up with that new Canfield build I'll have finished in a couple of weeks. Jim Beam was kind enough to give us a spectacular tour of Pueblo Canyon in Los Alamos-sorry we were so slow, Robert (BTW, your a beast on that 29er SS). Three days at Angel Fire left us with big grins. They have a great trail crew up there now. Far better than when I was there last in '05, and still improving. Nice not to have to go all the way to CO for some grade A DH .
    Med. Nomad C for sale

RCC
    Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by lifer View Post
    Another awesome trip to NM in the books. RCC, good to see you again-I'm already thinking about coming back up with that new Canfield build I'll have finished in a couple of weeks. Jim Beam was kind enough to give us a spectacular tour of Pueblo Canyon in Los Alamos-sorry we were so slow, Robert (BTW, your a beast on that 29er SS). Three days at Angel Fire left us with big grins. They have a great trail crew up there now. Far better than when I was there last in '05, and still improving. Nice not to have to go all the way to CO for some grade A DH .
    It was good to see you Pete,next time you'll make up here,give me some heads up and I'll ride you dude...good to hear you and the wife had a good time up here.take care.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    Bueno

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by RCC View Post
    next time you'll make up here,give me some heads up and I'll ride you dude..
    RCC
    Hmmmm.... care to re-phrase that Ramon?

RCC
    Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    Hmmmm.... care to re-phrase that Ramon?
    Good eye Robert..meant to say I'll ride w/you..the other way sounds dirty
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...