Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

New Cedro Race Course

The almighty beings have posted the maps for this year's Pro/Cat1/Cat2 state championship race courses on their website.

http://mountaintopcycling.com/?page_id=375

Fair warning: There are some sweet trails, but there are 14 intersections in one 3.5mi stretch across the top of the new eastern loop. Won't be an issue on raceday, but to pre-ride, either take a gps and lots of water, or suck up to someone who's already figured it all out.

FYI, Cat2's are not getting a respite from the climb up Coyote, as it's scattered all over the new eastern loop. Can't live without the descent to Chamisoso? Say hello to the downside of the Tower and Mutant Pass.

We spent almost 3 hours in a hot sun Sat. working on that Super-D course, so get your asses and your 50-lb bikes out there and bed it in.

banned
    So they are using Boice's DH course?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    So they are using Boice's DH course?
    Sorry, B. I'm not familiar with the name you mentioned, but the Super-D map, and a text description is on the site if that'll help.

banned
    Was that trail "mostly" there when you went to do the work?

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    The almighty beings have posted the maps for this year's Pro/Cat1/Cat2 state championship race courses on their website.

http://mountaintopcycling.com/?page_id=375

Fair warning: There are some sweet trails, but there are 14 intersections in one 3.5mi stretch across the top of the new eastern loop. Won't be an issue on raceday, but to pre-ride, either take a gps and lots of water, or suck up to someone who's already figured it all out.

FYI, Cat2's are not getting a respite from the climb up Coyote, as it's scattered all over the new eastern loop. Can't live without the descent to Chamisoso? Say hello to the downside of the Tower and Mutant Pass.

We spent almost 3 hours in a hot sun Sat. working on that Super-D course, so get your asses and your 50-lb bikes out there and bed it in.
    Im probably confused but is there a gps yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash88
    Im probably confused but is there a gps yet?
    There is a map on the site that was generated via gps. If you mean, is there a gps file that I can download, etc, etc? That is rarely the case. What I meant was, if you want to use the map on the site to follow the course, it's best done in conjuction with a gps to inform you of when you've gone astray - if for no other reason than the large number of intersections in some reaches. That's how I did it anyway. I mean, I didn't have anything to do with designing the course, I just "deduced" it with bits and pieces prior to the revelation of the official map. But my gps looks exactly like theirs.

So, having said that, I'm going to lend a hand to the adventurous types. If you want to take a shot at the eastern loop and you're familiar with last year's course, it goes like this:

Follow last year's course to the Ranch House Ruins, but turn right down Lower Pine - don't ride up the Ruins. Proceed until you come to the right hand turn up Wildcat. This section is very Otero. On the way up, go left, then right at the next 2 intersections. The 3rd intersection should be a huge clearing - go left, uphill toward Shooting Marbles. Then it's a right turn up over the top. You'll start descending, go right, then left, then right, then right. Keep an eye out for a faint hairpin left (over your left shoulder) about .5mi up this s/t hill, and obviously turn left there and head back down. You should come to a fork - go straight/left. There is a faint right that you may not notice, but it doesn't matter because after that, I'm pretty sure it's right, right, right ... . At that point you're on the way to the Roller Coaster due south, and quite a bit of straightaway sailing. The next option you have is at the rather large fenceposts without fence. Don't go through 'em, go left. If you're still on track, you'll come all the way around to the SW corner of the loop before turning right at a huge intersection with a BearScat trail signpost nestled in the bushes in the center. After this right, bear right almost immediately, and you're on your way up to Mutant Pass. Ignore all the signposts that lead off the trail to other named trails. You're trail is Pinon something or other, like half the trails out there (groan). Stay the course. You should come into a meadow with a Meadow Repair sign on the left. Proceed up the hill, which gets progressively steeper on the way to Mutant Pass. Believe me, you will know when you reach the descent down the Mutant Pass switchbacks. Assuming you survive this descent, which leads into a rocky streambed (again, very Otero), you are home free. It leads to an intersection, where a left turn takes you back to Lone Pine via the lone pine cutover, which is how you got over in the first place via last year's course. This trail to the left is named Usario something or other on the signpost. When you get back to Lone Pine, turn left back uphill, then take the first right down into the meadow and up across the other side to the right turn onto Mighty Mule.

To ride the sport loop from Cedro CG. and back, minus the Tower Loop, should come out to about 19.5mi. So, I'm thinking the sport loop is going to flesh out to about 21mi., depending upon where the start the race.

Hope this wasn't a complete waste of time, and I apologize in advance if you get lost and die out there.

Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    There is a map on the site that was generated via gps. If you mean, is there a gps file that I can download, etc, etc? That is rarely the case. What I meant was, if you want to use the map on the site to follow the course, it's best done in conjuction with a gps to inform you of when you've gone astray - if for no other reason than the large number of intersections in some reaches. That's how I did it anyway. I mean, I didn't have anything to do with designing the course, I just "deduced" it with bits and pieces prior to the revelation of the official map. But my gps looks exactly like theirs.

So, having said that, I'm going to lend a hand to the adventurous types. If you want to take a shot at the eastern loop and you're familiar with last year's course, it goes like this:

Follow last year's course to the Ranch House Ruins, but turn right down Lower Pine - don't ride up the Ruins. Proceed until you come to the right hand turn up Wildcat. This section is very Otero. On the way up, go left, then right at the next 2 intersections. The 3rd intersection should be a huge clearing - go left, uphill toward Shooting Marbles. Then it's a right turn up over the top. You'll start descending, go right, then left, then right, then right. Keep an eye out for a faint hairpin left (over your left shoulder) about .5mi up this s/t hill, and obviously turn left there and head back down. You should come to a fork - go straight/left. There is a faint right that you may not notice, but it doesn't matter because after that, I'm pretty sure it's right, right, right ... . At that point you're on the way to the Roller Coaster due south, and quite a bit of straightaway sailing. The next option you have is at the rather large fenceposts without fence. Don't go through 'em, go left. If you're still on track, you'll come all the way around to the SW corner of the loop before turning right at a huge intersection with a BearScat trail signpost nestled in the bushes in the center. After this right, bear right almost immediately, and you're on your way up to Mutant Pass. Ignore all the signposts that lead off the trail to other named trails. You're trail is Pinon something or other, like half the trails out there (groan). Stay the course. You should come into a meadow with a Meadow Repair sign on the left. Proceed up the hill, which gets progressively steeper on the way to Mutant Pass. Believe me, you will know when you reach the descent down the Mutant Pass switchbacks. Assuming you survive this descent, which leads into a rocky streambed (again, very Otero), you are home free. It leads to an intersection, where a left turn takes you back to Lone Pine via the lone pine cutover, which is how you got over in the first place via last year's course. This trail to the left is named Usario something or other on the signpost. When you get back to Lone Pine, turn left back uphill, then take the first right down into the meadow and up across the other side to the right turn onto Mighty Mule.

To ride the sport loop from Cedro CG. and back, minus the Tower Loop, should come out to about 19.5mi. So, I'm thinking the sport loop is going to flesh out to about 21mi., depending upon where the start the race.

Hope this wasn't a complete waste of time, and I apologize in advance if you get lost and die out there.
    That will work just want to find my way.thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    there's gps files at the bottom of that page, fyi.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by abqtj
    there's gps files at the bottom of that page, fyi.
    I was so glad to finally see a map, I didn't scroll any further.

Nice that someone's paying attention.

Hey, wait up!
    Just for grits and shins, I overlaid the race routes and the FS map in Google Earth.
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

banned

*Bump*

Update per Jens:

We apologize for the short notice, but we had some issued with the redesigned XC course crossing private land and the Forest Service wouldn’t give us the race permit. So, we will revert to the 2008 course, except that we took out some sections of road and added a bit more single track.

Sunday’s start times have also been revised:
    • Pro/Cat 1 Start - 9am (~24 miles)
    • Cat 2/SS ~9:25am (~20 miles)
    • Cat 3 ~9:30am (~7 miles)

Check our website for the latest maps: www.mountaintopcycling.com

Jens Nielsen
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 08-03-2009 at 08:21 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Guess they had to do what they had to do, but riding the revised "eastern loop" counter-clockwise is weird.

Down Wildcat?, Up Lone Pine? weird. Why not down 5 Hills and Up CST? equally weird.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    We just rode Cedro this morning and had so much fun (pre-100 degrees). Those trails are a blast I love the banked turns and the techy light sections. Rode and rode got pretty lost but the looming tower helps. Too bad the wilderness wheelchairs can't help themselves but still fun. Anyone want to show me Otero on Thursday evening? I am in the big city all week. Cooler full of homebrew in it. The new Dunkelweizen is damn good!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    We just rode Cedro this morning and had so much fun (pre-100 degrees).
    Were you in the other Subaru parked in the shade in the lower p-lot? I got there about 8:30 and the other car was gone was I got back.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    We camped up above and were out of there about 8:20, I, being a mountain guy, was about to melt.

mtbr member
    There are much better Otero guides around here besides me. I'd love to tag along though.

banned
    Bando's ride Thursday.

Give me a call, Greg.

mtbr member
    Daaaang I forgot. Band rehearsal Thursday.

Bandolero
    Bando's ride Thursday.

Give me a call, Greg.
    what time you guys riding?

banned
    Probably around 3:30-4pm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Bryan, your number fell into the abyss.

banned
    Check pm's. I will likely be on the SS. My fork is out of commission on the Turner.

mtbr member
    Check pm's. I will likely be on the SS. My fork is out of commission on the Turner.
    Karma... for pooping in Maka's back yard. Do it again and yer gonna be riding with Mary bars.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    Karma... for pooping in Maka's back yard. Do it again and yer gonna be riding with Mary bars.

7MGTE
    My fork is out of commission on the Turner.
    Should have picked up the Talas a few weeks ago

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast