3 15.00%
  • Crow’s Nest

2 10.00%
  • Eagles Nest

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hammer

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Name for Kerry's new trail poll

The discussion has been going on for a while. So, it is time to vote on your favorite name. I have purposely left out Kerry's Bone, daBone, and anything with Kerry in it. Kerry (tm) is trademarked and we would have to pay outrageous royalties if the name is used Happy voting!
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    Why did you leave out birdhouse, the most popular name from the other thread? Why did you leave out "da bone" ? Although I hate that name it was the second/ third most popular.

My vote for birdhouse ridge is a vote for birdHOUSE.

This is almost a dead issue. People at the tunnel parking lot call it bird house when talking about routes to go. If i was to tell a fellow biker i wanted to ride up eagles nest the responce would be "where is that?".

Strava has the trail labled as birdhouse. While that is in no way official it shows people know the trail as birdhouse already.

There is a big bird house at the top of the trail with a sign that says..... birdhouse.

New trails are coming. Let it comfort you that none of them will be named Birdhouse. .... that names taken.

mtbr member
    Since "Cow's Nest" is gone, what about "Unicorn's Nest", with all the unicorns roaming around and breeding up there, seems only natural....

Hammer
    Mr. Fuglio,

I used Birdhouse Ridge as it was suggested by Kerry in the previous thread on this subject, see below. Also, there are not any birdhouses on the trail that I know, but I do know talking with Kerry that there are birdhouses on the ridge above the trail. The birdhouse at the top of the trail added by a user was a stupid gesture and most likely frowned upon by the NFS. i.e. marking the entrance of a trail. It was like someone writing the name they like on your new born child before you tell everyone what you are naming your child.

I personally worked over a 100 hours on this trail and I consider the daBone name in no way represents the trail. I would also think that Kerry would not consider it an acceptable name. I included Turn -n- Burn even though Kerry doesn't like it, but I personally did not vote for it because of that.

Post from Kerry:
    I don't really consider my vote having any more weight than the next person. But figure I'll offer my opinion. First, I'm not a big fan of "Turn and Burn" I understand the idea but I'm partial to names that aren't so flashy I guess. I do like the idea that the name would reflect the location and/or some aspect of the trail. Therefore I'll put my vote in for "Lookout" or maybe "Lookout Ridge" or "Birdhouse Ridge," I dunno....

Like I said in another thread, it'll be a while until we get the sign materials so there's some time to hash it out. Either way, I hope whatever name is decided upon, it's acceptable to everyone and especially folks who helped build it.
    Placitas Tim

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by CrapStick View Post
    Ridge?

The trail is not even located on the actual ridge where the birdhouses were seen (Thanks to KFAB).

My vote is for Birdhouse as well, simply because it has pretty much been adopted as the official name. Moreover, I don't really care what the name ends up being, but the debate which has ensued has been well worth the effort. LOL!

Can someone please explain the significance of Cow's Nest?
    Please read my 2nd post in this thread and the original thread on the subject.

Name for Kerry's new trail poll

Name Suggestions for Kerry's new trail

CrapStick I wonder how long you will be around this time, Very classy.
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I guess whoever places the order for the official signs will have the last word and will have to deal with all the whining.
    Until the signs are ordered, more names can be considered:
    Brown Sugar? Naw, it will firm up with more precip and riding.
    Is Tim's Bone more acceptable? No, he was still alive yesterday and hates the bone theme.
    Strolling Bones? Too hiker oriented and getting off-topic.
    Horse Cookies? They will come but Kerry won't like the name even though some lady on a huge horse was looking for him yesterday..
    Ryan's Hoe? His favorite trail tool. Naw, too personal and I think he's still kicking.
    My wife (who also worked the trail) thinks Birdhouse is "charming". But she also thinks CrapStick is charming (um, the guy, not his name), so there you go.
    Hey, how about "Lookout"?

banned
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bg2lk15 View Post
    My wife (who also worked the trail) thinks Birdhouse is "charming". But she also thinks CrapStick is charming (um, the guy, not his name), so there you go.
    Hey, how about "Lookout"?
    Your wife has good taste, Bob.

LookOut!

banned
    Dec 2012
    You folks know how much I hate to complicate things, but....

How about ATF?

It sorta incorporates ALOT of things.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Name for Kerry's new trail poll-nombrar-006.jpg  

I <3 NM

Bandit!

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

banned
    Dec 2012
    LOL...even better.

mtbr member
    Although it is just a name and the trail speaks for itself, it would be cool if the name reflected more about the area it is in. Birdhouse, Eagles Nest, etc are fairly generic for how the trail rides and says nothing about the location. Not even sure that we have Eagles around Otero.

I'll admit to having spent no time in the construction of the trail, but Cow's Nest was pretty funny
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

I <3 NM
    This section of trail is awesome and it needs a name that reflects just how great it is.

Birdhouse doesn't do it.

I <3 NM
    "The phoenix hope, can wing her way through the desert skies, and still defying fortune's spite; revive from ashes and rise.”

mtbr member
    The way a trail rides is subjective. Generic names are good...... for me i used to skate board and tony hawk is one of my faviort athleats..... birdhouse is the name of his skateboard company so thats why i like it

I <3 NM
    I submit my humble submission for consideration/discussion:

Phoenix (or Firebird)

The name maintains the 'bird' theme of Birdhouse, but also is a nod to the burn scar at the top and the eternal cyclic events of fire and regrowth; from a forest fire comes new life. It can also relate to mtb'ing - the climb up leaves the rider exhausted and spent, yet he knows he will be rejuvenated (or reborn, if you will) on his decent back down the trail. The Phoenix scarifices itself so a new one will be reborn from its ashes much like the trail volunteers sacrificed time and energy, so future cyclists can enjoy themselves and will carry on the tradition of building and maintaining trails.

I <3 NM
    Last edited by MTBNate; 12-10-2012 at 09:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post

Phoenix (or Firebird)

The name maintains the 'bird' theme of Birdhouse, but also is a nod to the burn scar at the top and the eternal cyclic events of fire and regrowth; from a forest fire comes new life. It can also relate to mtb'ing - the climb up leaves the rider exhausted and spent, yet he knows he will be rejuvenated (or reborn, if you will) on his decent back down the trail. The Phoenix scarifices itself so a new one will be reborn from its ashes much like the trail volunteers sacrificed time and energy, so future cyclists can enjoy themselves and will carry on the tradition of building and maintaining trails.
    Its got my vote! Fire bird is sweet. All i ask is yhat at lest two people dislike it so i van keep argueing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post

Phoenix (or Firebird)

Its got my vote! Fire bird is sweet. All i ask is yhat at lest two people dislike it so i van keep argueing

mtbr member
    How about "Look Out! Birdhouse! Over? Ridge" aka LOBO Ridge.

I voted for Birdhouse Ridge but we'll see the results!!

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    How about "Look Out! Birdhouse! Over? Ridge" aka LOBO Ridge.

I voted for Birdhouse Ridge but we'll see the results!!
    We can go with LOBO Ridge, as long as you will spring for signs that have "Look Out! Birdhouse! Over? Ridge" on the signs Might take 2 signs.
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Just to disagree with Fuglio, I say "Phoenix". With "Firebird", I don't like the connection to Pontiacs. To keep the bird theme everyone loves, more down to earth, and the way I feel when I climb it, "Singed Crow".

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Here_and_Gone View Post
    Well, lobos would certainly explain the empty cow's nest, and all demBones.

I'm sorta digging on Fire Bird at the moment....so many choices!
    Seriously Bryan, as much as you think the admins are out to get you, the reason they kick you off is just plan bad manners. Do you really think the rest of us like the stuff you do on the NM forum? It basically turns many of the the threads into pissing contests and is counterproductive to the Mtn Biking community. Setup an account that clearly shows you as the account holder and make positive and constructive posts. Then what you do say will be taken seriously and will good for our trails and community. Also loading the poll from all your many transient accounts is pissing all over the real people who voted. That is the exact reason why you are always getting kicked off. Please join us not piss on us. Thanks!
    Placitas Tim

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ABQ_Biker View Post
    Seriously ohfishy, as much as you think the admins are out to get you, the reason they kick you off is just plan bad manners. Do you really think the rest of us like the stuff you do on the NM forum? It basically turns many of the the threads into pissing contests and is counterproductive to the Mtn Biking community. Setup an account that clearly shows you as the account holder and make positive and constructive posts. Then what you do say will be taken seriously and will good for our trails and community. Also loading the poll from all your many transient accounts is pissing all over the real people who voted. That is the exact reason why you are always getting kicked off. Please join us not piss on us. Thanks!
    Cant agree with you more tim! You should have seen what he made me do for a chain ring bolt

Hammer

Here_and_Gone

I actually like Turn -n- Burn and said so in the thread. Birdhouse is OK, but yes I don't like daAnything, my one stab at rudeness. Yes, I meant Crows nest not Cows nest, but hey at least it was spelled right I like Firebird and some of the other names posted since the poll came out. So, I would be up for starting a new poll with these suggestions.

I challenge you to try and stay on as Here_and_gone. Although 50+ posts today is not a good start. Yes, I might be old fashion to think that we should be kind and considerate in these threads, but is that really a bad thing to want? A good rule of thumb is to post like you are in a face to face conversation. Not the internet way, but still a nice idea.
    Placitas Tim

Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by Here_and_Gone View Post

However, you have used words like childish, stupid and some other adjectives to describe a harmless Birdhouse at the top of a trail; going even as far to insinuate that someone might get in trouble. Somehow, I don't think that would translate as "considerate" in a face to face conversation.
    Ok, I'll take one last shot at this and then I will bow out. The post and pictures with the birdhouse marking the trail was done as "Look I found a birdhouse someone put up to mark the trail". With that in mind the face to face rule goes out the door as there is no one's face to talk to. I would say the same words when discussing the subject face to face with other people. Now if you say you put up the birdhouse and posted like someone else put it up... Well, that pretty much makes my point when it comes to proper manners. Anyway, the road to "no hard feelings" is only the next ride away
    Placitas Tim

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast