Canuck on this Rock

Moving to Santa Fe

Not sure if this is the correct form to post this in, but probably get the fastest response. I am moving to Santa Fe for a job starting March 1st. Never been there, and reading all the fluff apartment/condo places have in their ads, I am totally confused on what neighborhoods to avoid, and which neighborhoods have more of a vibrant scene (like restaurants, theatre, etc.)

I thank you all in advance!!

mtbr member
    Well, what's your budget? I myself am a person that likes to be near town, especially when I am new to a place. South Capital neighborhood is a good mix of walkable distance to the Plaza and relatively cheap/safe neighborhood. Anything in the East mountains will be considerably nice, but also smaller, and usually weird. Further towards the middle near near Osage is quite nice and family orientated, same with stuff further south. I'd avoid the Airport area just based on the fact you nearly have to drive everywhere--and live amongst the strip malls.

What type of riding do you do? Radioactive and I live across from Mellow here in town and usually hit up the trails from the house come warmer times.

Canuck on this Rock
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah, my budget is about 950/mo. I will be working at BTI as the Cinelli Brand Manager starting in March.

I ride mostly XC, and of course I ride road as well. When I lived on the mainland before, I did some DH...

I want the experience for my wife to be positive when she comes in the next few months, since we are moving from Hawaii and she and I like restaurants and nightlife as in theatre types of things I want her to feel right at home. Does that make sense?

I <3 NM

Moving to Santa Fe

You can also do like a lot of folks, live in Rio Rancho & commute to SFe. A lot more to do closer to ABQ.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spicoli-ss View Post
    Thanks for your reply. Yeah, my budget is about 950/mo. I will be working at BTI as the Cinelli Brand Manager starting in March.

I ride mostly XC, and of course I ride road as well. When I lived on the mainland before, I did some DH...

I want the experience for my wife to be positive when she comes in the next few months, since we are moving from Hawaii and she and I like restaurants and nightlife as in theatre types of things I want her to feel right at home. Does that make sense?
    The area between West Alameda (west of the St. Francis divide) and out to Cerrillos is a nice area with decent access and you'd be able to get to BTI right there.

mtbr member
    Spicoli, just ask Preston. Staying near downtown, like these guys said, would be the ticket. Plenty to do in SF w/o commuting, but that would be an option. If you live in Rio Rancho then you'd be driving to everything, I think.
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

crap magnet
    South Capital area is great but kinda spendy. Not sure what you'd find in your price range. I lived in that part of town 15 years ago in a nothing special duplex and it ran me $1000mo. But If you can find something you like and can afford in that area that's where I'd settle. It's walking distance to bars/restauants/galleries and an easy pedal to some nice trails. Otherwise, generally speaking, the closer you are to the mountains east of town the more expensive it'll be. I think BTI is moving south soon down HWY 14 across from SF Brewing (coincidence?) so if you'd like to be close to work something out that direction might be the ticket (but not airport road.) Good luck and Welcome to Santa Fe!
    Last edited by cdaddy; 02-01-2013 at 04:41 PM.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Santa Fe is my home town. It has changed tremendously in the 35+ years I have been here. (BTW, this is not the only place I have lived.) The city is expensive. While there are very interesting cultural aspects and intellectual events in town, when you look around these events, most of the folks are older; it has evolved into a retirement community while remaining a major tourist destination. It is a strange mix. That said, it you like to live an outdoor lifestyle, it is hard to beat! On the other hand, we have a killer farmers market, a free music festival on the plaza in the summer, great people with interesting backgrounds, tons of cultural events, internationally recognized think-tanks, world class outdoor activities, etc, etc, etc...If you live in ABQ or north of it, you will live two hours a day in your car. Not fun. While it is less expensive and ABQ is not a bad city by any means, for me, Santa Fe is a better place.

Spicoli-ss, it sounds like you guys don't have kids, right? If you do, choose an area near a school district you think will fit your kids.

Working at BTI probably implies you like to ride! NM has decent road riding, but not great. Incredible views notwithstanding, the roads are treacherous--narrow shouldered with people who don't respect cyclists much. MTB is a whole other story. It is fantastic! In the summer, you can get good rides in after work.

The best housing to take advantage of single track will be in the East Side (most expensive and often the funkiest, meaning "charming"), South Capital (moderate with some charm), and Casa Solona (moderate, but bigger with less charm). All of these are easy to get to the trails. The East Side has the best access to the widest range of stuff. South Capital would be next and the Casa Solona would be descent, especially to La Tierra. South Side, out West Alameda, near-side (east of) St. Francis, West Side, all have interesting parts, but you'll have to either ride through a lot of traffic to ride or put you bike on the car to get to it. There are some less-than-desirable parts of town, but you probably won't wind up there anyway.

I just checked Craigslist and there are several places listed in all of these better areas in the last two days. Ask your new employers at BTI to see if they have connections. The very best places are not found in the newspaper or online. This is the best time of year to move here because you will have the best choices.

Canuck on this Rock
    You guys are awesome, and more help than you can imagine!! I feel less stressed and more informed!! I look forward to meeting all of you and hitting the trails with you guys!!

Mahalo!!

I <3 NM
    Let us on here know when you make it to NM.

In the meantime - here's some eye candy of our trails:
    The NM Trail Pix Thread
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.