Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Since I've put in some signs for him, I know Jim Sattler likes to place signs a little ways from the trail "otherwise mountain bikers lean on them and eventually push them over". Sattler, like Skerry, has a very tough job. Just about everyone they run into has some complaint, suggestion, or frustration. Some want change and others don't: build a new section of trail and close the old one and there is always someone who doesn't like it. I just couldn't handle their job: one two many people would come up to me whining and I'd excuse myself to go find a baseball bat...

BTW, I noticed one section of the SKS climb has washed out a little. I'd better check with Sattler and Da Goat before fixing it or risk a $300 fine.

On the bright side, I haven't seen any evidence my mud/snow fests last spring created lasting damage.

But it was great getting back into the SFH. Could I have been missing the sensations evoked by suddenly riding through the heavy aroma of a dog minefield?

I <3 NM
    I can't wait for the day dogs confined to dog parks and their owner's back yards.
    Last edited by MTBNate; 11-19-2012 at 11:27 AM.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by resuretsiger View Post
    That is a little harsh.

I see far more excrement from native species than dogs. Should they be locked up too?

I think it helps to watch where your going.
    I'm pretty sure coyotes don't bag their biddness and leave it on the trail for others to deal with. Takes an opposable thumbs for that.

Genius
    I don't mind the dogs if the owners have them on a leash. However, I have grown to despise owners that let their dogs roam free. I have hit two dogs before, one last year and one 4-5 years ago. I never saw them until they were two feet in front of me.... OTB for me and injured dog for the owner. I hate stupid irresponsible dog owners. If you don't leash your dog, you are not only breaking the law, you are also putting other trail users and your pet in harms way.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

I <3 NM
    Agree. It's the owners and not the dogs that are the problem.

If owners followed the rules; 1) keep dogs leashed and 2) clean up after their dogs, then there would be no problems.

Roughly 50% of the dog I encounter on the trails are not leashed these days. Maybe a Citation Blitz will encourage owners to cleanup their act?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    Agree. It's the owners and not the dogs that are the problem.

If owners followed the rules; 1) keep dogs leashed and 2) clean up after their dogs, then there would be no problems.

Roughly 50% of the dog I encounter on the trails are not leashed these days. Maybe a Citation Blitz will encourage owners to cleanup their act?
    Heard some guys talking at the Indian School Parking lot Sunday talking about their dogs and being on leashes. One guy said he had just gotten a ticket for his dog not being on a leash. I guess the Officers patrolling up there looking for the trail sanitizer got him.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I used to be more torn on this, but some people are super passionate about mtbing with their dogs. Some spend considerable time training their dogs to behave appropriately on trail. If I had a dog I would want to do the same. Sucks that so many places have leash laws because of the few poorly trained ones.

I really have not had any issues with dogs on trails since I have been mountain biking. Sometimes a minor inconvenience having to foot down or something but never more than trying to avoid a kid.

Sucks that people are getting busted for crap like that while they are looking for the real *******s.

Genius
    If the owner can control their dog so it stays on the trail where it can be seen, then honestly I have no problem with the no leash thing. If the dog is out with a runner or biker and just running down the trail with its owner, I don't have a problem with that either. For me its the dogs that go off trail, run back and forth across it and are seemingly running wild. I know the dogs and dog owners don't mean any harm but if I cant see the mutt until it darts out at the last second to get back to the owner that's where I have a problem. Both times the dog was within 10-20 feet of the owner when one came out from behind a boulder and the other from behind a shrub/bush.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    My dog will never be on a leash when outdoors (unless in the city, near streets). Ever. Those who don't like it can stick it where the sun don't shine.
    I think whom ever is going the fastest speed on a trail needs to watch out for any other animal (wild or domestic) or person & ride with enough control to not injure yourself, other people & animals.
    If your riding the Abq Foothills, you should know you're in a congested area, where accidents are likely if you don't check your speed or keep your eyes peeled - even looking off trail. People whom care about animals will not & should not force their animals to live tied up, no matter what the law says. You can't make those people and animals disappear.
    Dangerous stuff is going to happen where people and/or animals congregate. It will always happen, no matter what the laws are - just like speeding.

mtbr member
    My dog is a rescue dog that was used for fighting.. shes mostly nice but will try and bite dogs somtimes. So i wont ever have her off a leash. When other peoples dogs come up to say hello to her ushally its cool. Somtimes me and the other owner need to restrain them. If theres not an owner there to pull thier dog back i let mine off her leash im not gonna let my dog get bit and not be able to bite back. Also i have little kids that like dogs a whole lot. It pisses me off when somones dog runs up to my kids not on a leash and follows us around. Its tough to say that every dog should be on a leash.most shouldent. But like most things a couple *******s. Ruin it for everyone

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    My dog is a rescue dog that was used for fighting.. shes mostly nice but will try and bite dogs somtimes. So i wont ever have her off a leash. When other peoples dogs come up to say hello to her ushally its cool. Somtimes me and the other owner need to restrain them. If theres not an owner there to pull thier dog back i let mine off her leash im not gonna let my dog get bit and not be able to bite back. Also i have little kids that like dogs a whole lot. It pisses me off when somones dog runs up to my kids not on a leash and follows us around. Its tough to say that every dog should be on a leash.most shouldent. But like most things a couple *******s. Ruin it for everyone
    Especially in the congested multi-use Foothills where the expectation (and legal requirement) is for dogs to be leashed.

If you're in an area that doesn't have a leash law, then the responsibility is obviously reversed.

mtbr member
    absolutely need to respect other trail users. just because you love your dog does not mean everyone else does. If you are in a congested area you should respect other trail users and not force your Santa Fe hippy sh1t on us Teej
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Talk about topic drift! Now we're wallowing in it.

In North and South foothills, the dog issue seems to be close to the trailheads which owners treat as handy canine toilets. I love the responsible ones who carefully bag in plastic and leave on the trail...

Critter kaka isn't as offensive. Maybe because they don't eat as much and digest as much as them can? I feel sorry for the coyotes seeing what they leave.

Anyway, back to trails, the foothills will start getting a lot more traffic when the east mountains become unrideable. Dry or wet winter coming? Any predictions from dem bones?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    absolutely need to respect other trail users. just because you love your dog does not mean everyone else does. If you are in a congested area you should respect other trail users and not force your Santa Fe hippy sh1t on us Teej
    My Santa Fe hippy-ness subscribes to the theory that the world is not only for humans. My dog is also not a psycho-ninja killer like yours Plus, I know you'd hit the brakes for Brooklyn. He's the official Bando dog. He's probably the only reason that any cute females will even talk to us

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte View Post
    He's probably the only reason that any cute females will even talk to us
    That's just sad... really, really, pathetically sad.

I would have thunk the girls would be all over you bandos after you 'hit that s**t' on a tweeked out drop 360 from the Bando Boulder.

banned
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    That's just sad... really, really, pathetically sad.

I would have thunk the girls would be all over you bandos after you 'hit that s**t' on a tweeked out drop 360 from the Bando Boulder.
    Waht?

I think you thunked yourself a little too hard. Bandos are lady KILLERS, not lady THRILLERS. Plus, I've never seen any of them do a 360 on purpose.

banned
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    Especially in the congested multi-use Foothills where the expectation (and legal requirement) is for dogs to be leashed.

If you're in an area that doesn't have a leash law, then the responsibility is obviously reversed.
    Waht about if you are under the influence of alcohol and hit a dog/person/kid?

The responsibility is EVERYONE's, IMO.

banned
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bg2lk15 View Post

Anyway, back to trails, the foothills will start getting a lot more traffic when the east mountains become unrideable. Dry or wet winter coming? Any predictions from dem bones?
    I predict we will be riding east mountains until February. Climate change it's a comin'! However, I also predict some good rain come May

Genius
    uh oh! he's back!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2