mtbr member

More trail closures

Drunken fool
    I just read that in this mornings paper. That sucks. Oh well, I guess I'll ride/roast at WM or drive up to the Jemez area.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

7MGTE
    I can think of a few more spots as well

mtbr member
    Will this closure impact on the Sandia Peak Race in 2 weeks?

Sublime Absurdity
    Quote Originally Posted by srt705
    Will this closure impact on the Sandia Peak Race in 2 weeks?
    Nope - they use the ski area trails for that and those trails remain open during a closure.
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

Heckler db
    May 2008

options

The city open spaces in the east mtns. are still open. la madera and gutierrez canyon both have some good riding although they are short rides.

Sublime Absurdity
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckler db
    The city open spaces in the east mtns. are still open. la madera and gutierrez canyon both have some good riding although they are short rides.
    How is the trail at La Madera? I heard that they have a 6mile loop going out there that starts one mile after the pavement ends on La Madera - is that true? What kind of trail is it?

I've hiked with the dogs in gutierrez, but I could only find a mile or two of trail out there - is there more?
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers
    March cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream

Heckler db
    May 2008
    I haven't been to La Madera yet but IMBA did some building out there and I heard about the same as you. Gutierrez canyon has been added to. The trailhead is at the cedar crest post office but the trail from there needs work. It is a good climb over the first ridge and then down into the old open space. they have built some new trail there also but as i said the ride is short. they are working on a trial out of the open space over the second ridge to gutirrez canyon rd. but it not done yet. With some trailbuilders and coop from city open space there is some potential for really nice trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Any idea how long will Tunnel/Otero be closed? Will someone post once it reopens? Thanks, TB

Drunken fool
    Quote Originally Posted by trekboy79
    Any idea how long will Tunnel/Otero be closed? Will someone post once it reopens? Thanks, TB
    According to the info put out, we will need a couple of weeks of rain to soak the area. If not, expect it to stay closed. When/if it opens I'm sure it will be posted here.
    You better take care of me, Lord. If you don't you're gonna have me on your hands.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sodade
    How is the trail at La Madera? I heard that they have a 6mile loop going out there that starts one mile after the pavement ends on La Madera - is that true? What kind of trail is it?

I've hiked with the dogs in gutierrez, but I could only find a mile or two of trail out there - is there more?

It's 2 miles down the dirt road to the trail, there is just a gated fence now but it is somewhat obvious that the trail is on the other side. The last time I was out there the loop was not complete but I think they did more work this last weekend.