Thread: Moab

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Moab

Anyone been to Moab this time of year? Weather looks great (low 80's ) and I hear the riding is ok. We have nine days with no soccer, no races and an otherwise clear calendar. Was thinking of hitting Fruita as well. Everyone in the family rides so a riding vacation is fun for all. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Custom User Title
    It can be great or sucky, just be ready for anything (weather wise)- Mother Nature is a bit schizophrenic this time of year. And carry LOTS of water!

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Wouldn't be my first choice, as it can get flippin hot, but sometimes the school calendar dictates when you go, eh?. Search the archives here and read about "Sophie's last ride" (IIRC), but don't let anyone else in your family read it, and don't let them see you cry. Then prep them to be getting an early start each day, keep 'em hydrated, and hit the pool in the afternoons. You'll be fine, and it should be a good time. Hole In the Rock is a good diversion for kids, as is the city park off of Mill Creek Road with all the ginormous chimes and bells.
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Too bad we didn't hook up here in Taos, Greg. At the recommendation of a local bike shop I rode two days out at Devisadaro Peak. Today I got four loops on it, perfect trail conditions and weather.

We are leaving Taos tomorrow and heading to Moab, but we are spending 4-5 days in Durango prior. If the timings works out and you want to go for a long ride, let me know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you get this we are riding North Boundary tomorrow 8:15 from El Nogal (across from Divisdero. Would love to have you. 22 miles and 3000 feet of climbing. Hopefully done by 11'ish. If not we will be in Moab from Monday til Thursday, maybe we will cross paths.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Got it, but no can do. My wife will be running then and if her running in the morning means I get to ride a whole bunch at other times... run, honey, run. ;-)

Maybe I'll see you at Moab.

mtbr member

Moab in June

I concur with some of what has been said above. Moab can get very warm this time of
    year - well over 100, Don't know what the forecast is for next week, but I imagine it will be in the 90's. The other thing is that the slickrock reflects heat, so it is best to ride early in the day this time of year. BTW, I have nearly frozen to death in Moab in May and had great sunny days of riding in December. It is an area of extremes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Thanks for the info guys, we are on our way, I can't wait.
    Greg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Moab was great, loved the riding. Nobody there. Camped right across the street from slickrock. Rode it in the dark. Wow. Mosquitos horrible. Temps in the 70's. Music park best thing for kids ever.

Fruita incredible. Loved the Uncompagre Mesa. Some really amazing sinlgetrack and really bad road. Put hole in gas tank, Ug. Ate at Hot Tomato on their last night in business (for now).

Gunnison surprise of the trip. Amazing singletrack all through these rocks with flowing sick fast singly to hard core tech in and through these giant granite piles. Camped right by trails.

Salida. Crest trail not open yet but we are headed back in a couple of weeks.

Great trip I have pics but they are too big for MTBR. Maybe I will figure it out.

Thanks for all the info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Durango, Fruita and Moab.

http://shaundoreenevankeegan.blogspo...me-riding.html

For Moab, without a doubt, Sovereign Trail system was stellar in my opinion. Even though it was 100+ degrees out on the white rock I was loving it.

For coffee, 'The Good Place' just off Main Street and 400, they also do excellent juices.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    And in case you are sitting on the fence about going into Arches National Park, take a look at these images, it may change your mind.

http://shaundoreenevankeegan.blogspo...moab-area.html

mtbr member
    Next time in Moab you need to ride Porcupine Rim, Amasa Back, and for views worth posting - White Rim (resevations needed for overnight camping or you can ride it as a loop in one day- 112 miles.