Thread: Mighty Mule

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Mighty Mule

I ended up so digusted riding the lower section of Mighty Mule yesterday that I invested almost 4 hours this afternoon in the section below 4 Corners and above the Chamisoso Canyon. The Moto-rubble is gone, along with several head-grabbing branches, and there's about 1 ton less in baby's heads. Tried to shore up a few eroded slots between embedded rocks, but I'm afraid there's a fine line between erosion control and "making it too easy". Also trimmed some face-slapping branches further down the canyon.

So, if you've found this difficult section to be a frustrating pain in the butt lately. Ride it now, while it's the difficult section that you can literally fly through without worrying about a scattering of formerly-embedded, basketball-sized boulders laying in the middle of the next blind turn.

Even the big blocky switchback to the right that has always given me fits is (practically) a no-brainer for me now. Please, lay off the rear brake here, and everywhere else that it's steep. It won't work, and it just landslides the trail.

Of course, it's only gonna be a matter of time before the next power-band-addicted delinquent goes fishtailing up the side of the trail or decides to do a doughnut in the middle of the trail on a muddy day, but then it's not politically correct to acknowledge the occurrence of such things - just quietly clean up after them.

p.s. I'd really like to see some evidence of more people spending some time on their own helping to keep Cedro straightened out - for 3 reasons. 1) Like a lot of people, I really hate stopping for any reason during my rides, so I have to set aside special days for this stuff - and that's not something I cherish doing. 2) I don't think there's anything harder on the old back than this trail work. 3) I'm pretty sick of hearing people say they don't ride Cedro anymore 'cause it's all torn up. Well, no s**t. Who do they think is gonna fix it while they go off to ride the next trail system that's been buffed up by somebody else.

So, c'mon people. Every stop doesn't have to be on a bed of pine needles in the shade. If you see some formerly embedded moto-rubble, just take a second to heave it off the trail. It takes one person about 5 minutes to completely buff 50 feet of rubble. What a difference it makes.

Bandolero

Wait

Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    So, c'mon people. Every stop doesn't have to be on a bed of pine needles in the shade. If you see some formerly embedded moto-rubble, just take a second to heave it off the trail. It takes one person about 5 minutes to completely buff 50 feet of rubble. What a difference it makes.
    I don't recommend doing anything on Cedro until the rednecks with 4 wheelers are barred from the single track. Until then, any maintenance is a waste of time. The section you cleaned up will continue to be open to motorcycle traffic, so don't expect it to stay clean.

On a good note, the Travel Management Plan implementation date is 1-SEP-08 barring any appeals.
    See the trails, be one with FOO-MTB.
    Slow-core. -.. .-. .. -. -.- .... --- -- . -... .-. . .--

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, I know that motorcycle traffic will continue, as per my original remarks. However, I really do think that it's only a relative handful of moto-bikers that are painfully destructive, and the rest have as much as right as we do to be there.

As for the ATV'ers. Well, the travel management plan will confine their movements in the future, but, more importantly, while they sure do widen the trail, I haven't seen any evidence of them indulging in the kind of purely destructive behavior that a few moto-bikers obviously have.

I'm tired of riding trails that look like s**t. Like anything else, the more they're kept up, the harder they are to get messed up to the point where folks think they're hopeless. Everybody who enjoys riding there needs to pitch in on a continuing basis to keep these trails in condition.

Single Speed Junkie
    The quads typically do the most damage on the trail, Cedro is no exception. The dirtbikers do throw up a bit more rock than the cyclist, however I view them as a positive in most cases. Only compliant I could ever make is when people ride wet trails regardless if by bike, motor bike, or horse (Think Otero at the start of the season)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Well, we could go on and on about who does what, but the evidence on the trail takes just 2 forms as far as I can see:

1) One idiot with a motor can do more damage in one outing than everybody else put together, motor, or not, can do in a season. One freakin doughnut, or 5 seconds of pointless, fishtailing acceleration on a steep trail is a barrel full of formerly imbedded rocks that never could've been dislodged by any other means short of a pick.

2) Regardless of how it deteriorates, Cedro needs just a little bit of attention on a regular basis to stay sweet, and nobody's lifted a finger out there all season. I, for one am sick of it looking like a 20-mile long dump - the same rubble sitting in the same damn spots week after week - and right in our backyard for chrissakes. Instead of people coming away with memories of steep rocky climbs and blazing fast descents on twisty trails, etc., it's more a matter of branches that'll tear your head off, dumb ass boulders littering the trail that nature never intended, ditches full of stinking gravel, and let's never go there again.

I've done 9 XC races so far this season, all of them fostered by communities that're a fraction the size of Alb., and in every instance those people have had the utmost pride in their venues, regardless of whether they were racers, or not. The Cedro sport loop is a classic. It has everything that I've ever seen anywhere on a XC course, and the riders in Alb couldn't care less. Five freakin minutes a year from each rider that rides there would make all the difference in the world. Hell, I've been out there cleaning trail before and had 5 riders go by me without even saying hello.

I don't care how the damage comes to be, the whole system's been an embarassing mess all season. Furthermore, I don't care if no one else lifts a finger or bothers to ride on it, 'cause I can honestly say that after 4 hours work, the 17 minutes that I spent riding from 4 corners to the p-lot, made every stinking minute of work worthwhile. There, now nobody has to ask how I really feel.

banned
    Sounds important! I am sure that Cedro will be it tip top shape for the race. 'Cept Briggs isn't doing it this year so I must put all my faith in the new promoter. Meantime, you should check out some of the new cuts at Otero. Meet me on Tuesday and I will show you some sweet ST. Knob and I found a sweet cut just above Secret Stash that will blow your mind. I seem to remember that you had an affinity for steep rocky ( not loose ) climbs. I got you covered, lets hook up on Tuesday. What do you say?

BTW...the current state of Cedro is no doubt due to all of the work that has been going into Otero as the folks that would normally be doing work out there were busy on the South Side. I for one applaud the effort, but the sign was a stupid ( did I say STUPID ) mistake. Second time in a week that I have found timber strung throughout the trail. I am sure that it is one of the horse people too, as the trail isn't exactly 'horse friendly'.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Second time in a week that I have found timber strung throughout the trail. I am sure that it is one of the horse people too, as the trail isn't exactly 'horse friendly'.
    That reminds me of some trail work we did back in the midwest. We ended up placing qualifiers at the beginning of some of the trails. Their main function was to assist in sorting out riders and trail users. This would possibly help in weeding out some of the horses and leave the trails for cyclist. If there is a natural choke near the start of the trail then it might be ideal.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    You make a good point, Bryan. I know some people are putting a lot of energy into developing new projects. But, somebody's got to mind the farm, so I guess one of those somebodies (hopefully not the only) is gonna be me. And for whatever I put into it, I'd like to see as many people as possible get something out of it.

Thanks for the invite, too. I appreciate it, and would like to see some of the new stuff out there, but next week is reserved for going to visit the folks, since I have to be on the line for the next 5 weekends after that. Cedro, Las Cruces, Gallup and Farmington between me and the "perfect season". Then Chupa to celebrate. After that, a change of pace will be great, and I'd be real pleased to see what you're up to then. Heck, it'll still only be October.

banned
    kind of like 'Paj'

Expert=means=Expert

mtbr member
    The Cedro sport loop is a classic. It has everything that I've ever seen anywhere on a XC course, and the riders in Alb couldn't care less. Five freakin minutes a year from each rider that rides there would make all the difference in the world. Hell, I've been out there cleaning trail before and had 5 riders go by me without even saying hello.
    I agree: Cedro has some CLASSIC riding. Every time I have made a trip down there, I have enjoyed the riding. Thanks for your efforts cleaning it up and thanks for trying to rally the community to take ownership. We outta-towners appreciate it
    there can be only one... track

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

OK, I'll make more effort.

Cedro is one of my favorite and regular rides.

I usually only stop to pitch the "big ones" out of the way, but as long as everyone is doing their part, I'll stop more frequently.

banned

1) One idiot with a motor can do more damage in one outing than everybody else put together, motor, or not, can do in a season. One freakin doughnut, or 5 seconds of pointless, fishtailing acceleration on a steep trail is a barrel full of formerly imbedded rocks that never could've been dislodged by any other means short of a pick.
    Idiots always travel in pairs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Plan doesn't mean control

Garson wrote:
    As for the ATV'ers. Well, the travel management plan will confine their movements in the future, but, more importantly, while they sure do widen the trail, I haven't seen any evidence of them indulging in the kind of purely destructive behavior that a few moto-bikers obviously have.

A plan isn't a rule, a rule isn't a law, a law without enforcement is just a formality. Who will pay for enforcement? Who is the enforcement? IMBA has trail patrols in other areas. Still, what strength has a biker against a much faster motorized vehicle?

I've read many entries on this site about riding where we weren't supposed to be, and I've seen images of that also. Why should we expect any type of motorized vehicles to keep off the trails that are closed to them?

Signs don't stop the ignorant.

Moo! (And no cow punching!)
    C Cow

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by C Cow
    I've read many entries on this site about riding where we weren't supposed to be, and I've seen images of that also. Why should we expect any type of motorized vehicles to keep off the trails that are closed to them?
    I wouldn't see any reason to take issue with your post except that you referenced mine in a way that suggests I was talking about something completely different from what I actually was.

I never said anything about keeping anybody out of anywhere being a solution to any problem that I was addressing.

What I said was that although ATV's (which I didn't bring up in the first place) do negatively impact the trail, it's a byproduct of their size, not intentionally destructive behavior. On the other hand, the irresponsible riding of at least a few (but certainly not all) motorbikers was doing considerable damage to the trail, in spite of the fact that motorbikers have every right to be there. Furthermore, the thrust of what I said was that in view of the fact that nothing could be done to effectively control such behavior, it was up to us to keep up with the wear and tear, and not let the trails deteriorate to the point that they became undesirable to ride.

As far as the completely different issue that you brought up, I would take it one step further, and say that nobody should be riding anything where they're not supposed to be - including mtn bikers. And if they are going to cross that line at their own risk, then they should make damn sure that they don't negatively impact the area, and that includes not aggravating the rightful users/owners. I spent 20 years trespassing to gain access to choice kayaking putins, but we never left a trail or trash or anything else that wasn't the way we found it, and we sure as hell didn't do it in the midst of a group of fly fishermen. In other words, civilized disobedience, when practiced responsibly, is not usually the stuff of litigation. Exception: Otero. You're dealing with a different species in that case.