saddlemeat

Memorial Day weekend in the Zunis

I spent the weekend up in the Zuni Mountains, pretty much rained for three days. I rode on Sunday afternoon and Monday although it was still a little tacky. The pump track at Twin Springs saw use, and managed to claim one collarbone, but otherwise it was mostly sitting under a tarp and drinking. The roads were firm except for a few minor puddles.

Looks to be a cool, wet summer in the Zunis, the wildflowers will be the best ever I expect. I'm heading up again tommorrow, will be there thru the weekend in case anyone wants to come over and ride.

No fire restrictions, yay!

I did manage to get an Osprey photo between the rain and hail:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

banned
    Sorry to hear that, Bill. I feel a bit guilty. I managed to dodge all of the rain and squeeze in two fantabulous rides. Catch ya next time!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb
    ...managed to claim one collarbone..:
    Hopefully that wouldn't be your collarbone. Would be a bummer to go down with an injury at the beginning of the season. I try to wait till late October for the crazy stuff...and even then I just sit back and watch the Bandaleros risk their bones.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb
    ...mostly sitting under a tarp and drinking.
    We did a bit of that as well. I didn't get to use your directions since we got rained out of Gallup Friday AM on our way to Flagstaff. Nice osprey! Do they come back north on the same schedule as the vultures, or do they get here a bit later? I've never noticed....
    - Joe

saddlemeat
    I'm not sure, as this is the first nesting pair I've ever seen near McGaffey Lake, which was improved a few years ago and got filled up last year. The fish population is very good this year, guess they decided to raise a family on Rainbow trout. I've been enjoying the trout myself, fried in bacon grease.

Fortunately it wasn't my collarbone.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    well, at least this time the rain wasn't my fault. We spent the weekend in S Fe and got in a nice long hike. Excellent Osprey pics, can't wait to make it back out there. Give Iris a scratch and keep the trails nice for when we can make it out.
    The river race is this weekend, come in to town if you feel like it. --b