Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Los Alamos...

NOOB

Los Alamos...

I'm moving to my new Job in Los Alamos in January -- any local riders?

Is the bike OK?
    Welcome to LA BluePanda, there's ton's of incredible riding here! There's a few of us who frequent this board fairly often and I'm sure they'll welcome you when they see your post. Winter riding is usually fairly minimal until Feb-March due to snow but so far the way this winter's going we've been riding everything. When there is snow in town it's a short trip to places like Nambe and La Tierra in Santa Fe. Feel free to give me a PM when you get to town.

mtbr member
    May 2010

You'll live near a trailhead

Welcome to town! The riding here is excellent, and there are many trails right in town. No driving necessary. The Tuff Riders are the local MTB club. We have two weekly rides and more. Search for Tuff Riders on Facebook or PM me (or Neal) to get connected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BluePanda View Post
    I'm moving to my new Job in Los Alamos in January -- any local riders?
    lucky dog, great trails in LA
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I need a job at the lab. Can someone please hook me up?

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundRockTJ View Post
    I need a job at the lab. Can someone please hook me up?
    Good luck:

https://jobs.lanl.gov/OA_HTML/RF.jsp...FWRkGUjEyAXZMA..

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Los Alamos has wonderful trails. The Tuff Riders are a good group to ride with. There are plenty of lone wolves out there like me and others to ride with as well. Most anyone here would be happy to hook you up. If you select a home in Los Alamos (not White Rock), there will undoubtedly be some kind of trail access within easy biking distance to your front door. Welcome to the neighborhood!

--Jim
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Welcome. I'll echo what Neal, Rod and Jim said; even if you're not into the group ride scene, rolling with the Tuffriders would be a good way to become familiar with most of the local trails.
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

NOOB
    Quote Originally Posted by rodmccrady View Post
    Welcome to town! The riding here is excellent, and there are many trails right in town. No driving necessary. The Tuff Riders are the local MTB club. We have two weekly rides and more. Search for Tuff Riders on Facebook or PM me (or Neal) to get connected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    Los Alamos has wonderful trails. The Tuff Riders are a good group to ride with. There are plenty of lone wolves out there like me and others to ride with as well. Most anyone here would be happy to hook you up. If you select a home in Los Alamos (not White Rock), there will undoubtedly be some kind of trail access within easy biking distance to your front door. Welcome to the neighborhood!

--Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    Welcome. I'll echo what Neal, Rod and Jim said; even if you're not into the group ride scene, rolling with the Tuffriders would be a good way to become familiar with most of the local trails.
    - Joe

AWESOME. I was out there working as a student after my freshman year in the summer of 2009.

I rode with the TuffRiders then...I don't recall any names -- but there was a nice lady that loaned me a bike for the summer (after watching my fail with an old huffy a few weeks I think she just felt bad).

It's going to take a bit to get used to the altitude now that I've been on the coast for the past 3 years -- but I'm VERY excited!!

Edit: Also just found the group on FB. Looking forward to getting to know some of you and looking forward to learning a lot too!

ride more
    Mar 2007
    Sooo Lucky, Id love to find a job there.

NOOB
    I hope a bunch of you are good with working on bikes too...I can't manage to get mine quite right still...

Riding around in the driveway I lost the chain of the front and free-spun to fall off my bike...it was pretty humorous but I've got a lovely bruise to say otherwise.

I had it working well a couple weeks ago -- perhaps the neglect to ride in a couple weeks is my repayment.

Genius
    It's going to take a bit to get used to the altitude now that I've been on the coast for the past 3 years -- but I'm VERY excited!!
    If you ride 3-4 times a week for 45 minutes it will take approximately 3 weeks to fully acclimate.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    May 2010

Tuff Rider bike work party

I hope a bunch of you are good with working on bikes too...I can't manage to get mine quite right still...

Riding around in the driveway I lost the chain of the front and free-spun to fall off my bike...it was pretty humorous but I've got a lovely bruise to say otherwise.

I had it working well a couple weeks ago -- perhaps the neglect to ride in a couple weeks is my repayment.
    We had one suggestion from a Tuff Rider to have a bike work party during the winter months. This might work out for you. I'll make sure it gets posted on the Tuff Riders Facebook page.

NOOB
    Quote Originally Posted by rodmccrady View Post
    We had one suggestion from a Tuff Rider to have a bike work party during the winter months. This might work out for you. I'll make sure it gets posted on the Tuff Riders Facebook page.
    Yes! This would be GREAT!

I <3 NM
    A Wrench Night!

Not to be confused with Wench Night.

mtbr member
    can't you have both?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

NOOB
    BEWZ and BIKES...proper I think...

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    can't you have both?
    sounds too good to possibly be true

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    You might consider PMing Blister Butt. I think he could hook you up with a good, honest wrench. I'd recommend against the Bike Doc. He's often rude and only an average mechanic, from all the stories I've heard.
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

NOOB
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    You might consider PMing Blister Butt. I think he could hook you up with a good, honest wrench. I'd recommend against the Bike Doc. He's often rude and only an average mechanic, from all the stories I've heard.
    - Joe

I've actually heard of the Bike Doc before -- but never met the guy. I will keep Blister Butt on my list of "good" people.

Thanks for the tip Joe! I'm overly excited to get out to NM already!!

Edit: For you locals -- I found a house in Espanola to rent and we're signed and ready to move in!! Ahhh...January 18th we'll be getting in -- who wants to unload the truck...haha jk, but seriously looking forward to all!

I <3 NM
    Edit: For you locals -- I found a house in Espanola to rent and we're signed and ready to move in!!
    Ese.. que paso vato?

I ride with tools
    I found a house in Espanola to rent and we're signed and ready to move in!!
    Dude. If you're serious - BIG mistake. Time to get a Doberman, a Rottweiler, a German Shepherd, a security system, a few sidearms, and a big insurance policy.

NOOB
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    Dude. If you're serious - BIG mistake. Time to get a Doberman, a Rottweiler, a German Shepherd, a security system, a few sidearms, and a big insurance policy.
    Not really what I want to hear -- but yes, I am serious. We've been looking a lot for housing and ended up with this one in Espanola. It's off a private road and doesn't look too bad. Guy that lives there has three kids (rather young ones too) so it must be a "better" area than you say.

Our two cats won't put up much a fight -- but at least insurance can replace some things...if worse comes to worse.

Climbs = necessary evil
    White Rock is where most of the folks I know live.

Genius
    Espanola is a rough town, even more so for an "outsider". As a fellow rider, our unwritten code is to warn others of oncoming traffic, so be careful. You won't be in Kansas anymore. Keep your bike indoors, never leave it on the car rack, locked up or not, ever.
    Last edited by De La Pena; 12-11-2012 at 10:45 PM.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast