Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Los Alamos...

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Nano!

I don't know what the laws are in NM but "nano" (ie, <100 barrels a year) brewing seems to be all the rage these days. That might work better in LA, not sure you could support a full microbrewery. Heck, as far as I know you basically have to get to Kikkoman just to buy decent beer in a bottle. Is that still the case?

I bet there are some very good home brewers in LA that you could make friends with. With all that science talent and the lack of good beer for sale, I'd be shocked if some PhDs hadn't taken matters into their own hands by now...

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    If LA just had a great mico brewery, that'd be the topping on the cake.
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    Heck, as far as I know you basically have to get to Kikkoman just to buy decent beer in a bottle. Is that still the case?

-Walt
    Yep. Kokoman is still there in Pojoaque and has an extensive selection of brews & spirits.

Liquor Store Pojoaque Valley, NM - Kokoman Fine Wine & Liquor
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

NOOB
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I don't know what the laws are in NM but "nano" (ie, <100 barrels a year) brewing seems to be all the rage these days. That might work better in LA, not sure you could support a full microbrewery. Heck, as far as I know you basically have to get to Kikkoman just to buy decent beer in a bottle. Is that still the case?

I bet there are some very good home brewers in LA that you could make friends with. With all that science talent and the lack of good beer for sale, I'd be shocked if some PhDs hadn't taken matters into their own hands by now...

-Walt
    I know a guy in LA who is pretty serious about his homebrew -- hopefully he will share some now that I'm going to be a "local" haha

Is the bike OK?

Microbrews in LA!

Los Alamos has a brand new brew pub called the "Pajarito Brewpub and Grill" (www.facebook.com/pajaritobrewpubandgrill). They've got a ton of New Mexico Microbrews on tap and have the first frost rail in New Mexico that wraps around the entire copper bar top. There food is fairly good too.

There's also a "Los Alamos Beer Cooperative" in the works (Los Alamos Beer Co-op - Home) that will hopefully be bringing hand-crafted Los Alamos Microbrews to tap sometime in the relatively near future.

NOOB
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson View Post
    Los Alamos has a brand new brew pub called the "Pajarito Brewpub and Grill" (www.facebook.com/pajaritobrewpubandgrill). They've got a ton of New Mexico Microbrews on tap and have the first frost rail in New Mexico that wraps around the entire copper bar top. There food is fairly good too.

There's also a "Los Alamos Beer Cooperative" in the works (Los Alamos Beer Co-op - Home) that will hopefully be bringing hand-crafted Los Alamos Microbrews to tap sometime in the relatively near future.
    AWESOME...my fiance is going to LOVE this. haha He's a beer guy lol

mtbr member
    I'm a little late coming to this thread, but I just wanted to mention that it's worth looking into the NM Park & Ride - I live in Santa Fe and I take the bus to the lab every day to save on gas and keep the miles down on my car. They run buses from Espanola to Los Alamos (I am not sure where the bus stop in Espanola is located...). It runs $2/ride ($4/day) or you can get a monthly pass for $60.

NMDOT Park & Ride

NOOB
    Thanks for the info radio. We'll probably be driving together for a bit to see how it goes. Where we're at we can't get mail delivery so we'll be picking up our mail in LA everyday too...including packages we get for our side job. Lol

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    BP, you'll be fine down in Espanola. My wife and I rented down there for a year when we first moved back to NM, and thoroughly enjoyed our neighbors and the town. We only moved up on the hill because we'd had our fill of commuting when we were in PHX. Sure, Espanola may be a bit sketchier now, but there still many good people down there. Be friendly, be smart, and you'll be fine.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by BluePanda View Post
    Thanks for the info radio. We'll probably be driving together for a bit to see how it goes. Where we're at we can't get mail delivery so we'll be picking up our mail in LA everyday too...including packages we get for our side job. Lol
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

NOOB
    Thanks Joe.

NOOB
    Hey NM friends...

I got new tires for my bike for Christmas!! woo...no more street tires! I'm ready!!!

Anyway -- On my bike rack during a drive back from a trip -- I managed to loose something on the front end. Perhaps a bearing where the fork meets the frame (help me name this?). It dumped some nasty old lube all over the fork and just made a mess.

Point is -- the fork has some play in it now -- forward and back. Been riding anyway (though I'm sure it's not great for it). But anyone have suggestions?

I'll be out there in just a few weeks now -- I've gotta meet up with some of you and get my bike in better condition before the season comes around again.

C S
    mtbr member
    Hey NM friends...

I got new tires for my bike for Christmas!! woo...no more street tires! I'm ready!!!

Anyway -- On my bike rack during a drive back from a trip -- I managed to loose something on the front end. Perhaps a bearing where the fork meets the frame (help me name this?). It dumped some nasty old lube all over the fork and just made a mess.

Point is -- the fork has some play in it now -- forward and back. Been riding anyway (though I'm sure it's not great for it). But anyone have suggestions?

I'll be out there in just a few weeks now -- I've gotta meet up with some of you and get my bike in better condition before the season comes around again.
    Sounds like your headset (the assembly that contains the bearings where the fork meets the frame) is loose. I can't really imagine a situation in which one of the bearings (assuming you don't have cartridge bearings) would be able to pop out. There could be something wrong with the headset cups themselves, possibly cracked? Take a look here, especially the last part about adjustment.

Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Threadless Headset Service

I would NOT ride with a loose headset. You could ovalize the head tube, which can not be repaired. Unless you want to be in the market for a new frame soon

NOOB
    Quote Originally Posted by C S View Post
    Sounds like your headset (the assembly that contains the bearings where the fork meets the frame) is loose. I can't really imagine a situation in which one of the bearings (assuming you don't have cartridge bearings) would be able to pop out. There could be something wrong with the headset cups themselves, possibly cracked? Take a look here, especially the last part about adjustment.

Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Threadless Headset Service

I would NOT ride with a loose headset. You could ovalize the head tube, which can not be repaired. Unless you want to be in the market for a new frame soon
    Thanks for the details. I've been off of it for awhile, but I'm wanting a ride. Oh well. It'll have to wait until after the move. We've got a week to pack the house now before a quick trip to vegas for CES before moving out there -- at least we'll have a garage for working on bikes in the snowy weather.

When and if I get it apart I'll post some updates. :P Too much a project to start before the move at the moment though :P

mtbr member
    Hey NM friends...

As CS said, it sounds like the headset gave out for whatever reason. Do NOT ride your bike until it is fixed. Riding it with a loose or damaged headset can mess up your bike and possibly mess you up. How old is your bike, anyway?
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

NOOB
    Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    As CS said, it sounds like the headset gave out for whatever reason. Do NOT ride your bike until it is fixed. Riding it with a loose or damaged headset can mess up your bike and possibly mess you up. How old is your bike, anyway?
    Well I've risen it a bit on the roads...but not a lot. Its getting packed soon so i guess it's fate will be known on the other side. Haha

It is an older bike, hand me down from my mother-in-law-to-be. I think it's about 10 give or take a year or two. Not a yougin. It's been risen mostly with street tires and on roads for most of it's life so other than a little age she still looks nice.

I <3 NM
    What is the make & model of your ride?

NOOB
    She's a Diamondback Ascent (at least the frame is). A few other things have been switched out by the old owner -- different wheels, different gear sets, etc. She's your basic hodgepodge of original and replaced parts. Though most of it is all of the same age...

Picture...

I think I posted this and other pics in an older thread...

I <3 NM
    vintage, mid/late 90's... wow.

NOOB
    vintage, mid/late 90's... wow.
    Hey -- it works. And for just really getting into riding again it'll be perfect in NM... especially for being FREEEEEE

I <3 NM
    Free is good.

I <3 NM
    Hey -- it works. And for just really getting into riding again it'll be perfect in NM... especially for being FREEEEEE
    Your bike is a '97 model and was pretty spendy at the time: $1000.00 ($1,434.40 in today's money):

BikePedia - 1997 Diamondback Ascent 3.0 Complete Bicycle

NOOB
    Looking at that -- mine is pretty much all the same hardware still. haha. Only real change is the seat, pedals and handle bars from what I can tell on that list. lol

Took another look at it just the other day -- it appears that it's not loose in the frame like I had thought. It's actually loose down in the fork -- down at the shocks. Being the original Rock Shox I'm sure they're a bit warn. lol.

My fiance has the same bike as well -- but his actually has some changes. Different gear set, different headset, but same ole Rock Shox and such.

We'll get one of you bike guru's to help us clean em both up to good riding condition...beer anyone? hahaaha

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    The "seals" blew out (ie up, out of the lowers) on your Indy. I had the same one for many years and it did the same thing. You'll probably need a new fork (at least based on my experience trying to repair those things when I was in college), but forks of that vintage/type are literally free for the taking if you can find someone who hasn't cleaned out their bike shop in a while. Someone in the Tuffriders may have something - they are one of the few groups I've ever been involved with where you won't be sneered at for having an older/cheaper mountain bike.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

I <3 NM
    Totally Unrelated to the Topic:

Walt,

How'd you manage to score a black rep square:

Back on Topic:

I'm pretty sure the head tube diameter is somewhat smaller thant today's head tube diameters.

NOOB
    Totally Unrelated to the Topic:

Walt,

How'd you manage to score a black rep square:
    If you hover over it -- he has reputation disabled.

Back on Topic:

I'm pretty sure the head tube diameter is somewhat smaller thant today's head tube diameters.
    Oh well -- ride it till it falls apart!!! haha.

mtbr member
    and MTBNate has a reputation beyond repute
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast