Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Los Alamos...

mtbr member
    Hey Panda, welcome to New Mexico. I was going to give you a jab earlier about Espanola but had second thoughts but now that I'm not the first I'm going to keep it simple: Watch the Milagro Beanfiled War before you come. Think of it as a primer.
    You aren't the only one to work in LA that lives in the Valley but you might be the only one coming right from Clemson.
    I say cool, man. Keep us informed on how's it going. If you really want to ride, this is a great state for it.
    The Dude abides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    You might consider PMing Blister Butt. I think he could hook you up with a good, honest wrench. I'd recommend against the Bike Doc. He's often rude and only an average mechanic, from all the stories I've heard.
    - Joe
    Joe is very kind. Let me know if you require some good, honest wrenching.

Quote Originally Posted by BluePanda View Post
    ...For you locals -- I found a house in Espanola to rent and we're signed and ready to move in!! Ahhh...January 18th we'll be getting in -- who wants to unload the truck...haha jk, but seriously looking forward to all!
    As others have said, Española can be daunting for someone new to New Mexico's cultural uniqueness. That said, there are lots of great people there, too. As with any rural area, don't flash a flashy bike around, keep it locked and out of sight and maybe invest in a security system or service. I used to do some housesitting down in those parts and it wasn't unusual to experience some surprises now and then.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure you'll end up loving New Mexico.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    Keep your bike indoors, never leave it on the car rack, locked up or not, ever.
    Especially at walmart!

I hope you are an aggressive driver, the morning/evening commute coming from the valley is an experience!

NOOB
    Quote Originally Posted by rpinata View Post
    Hey Panda, welcome to New Mexico. I was going to give you a jab earlier about Espanola but had second thoughts but now that I'm not the first I'm going to keep it simple: Watch the Milagro Beanfiled War before you come. Think of it as a primer.
    You aren't the only one to work in LA that lives in the Valley but you might be the only one coming right from Clemson.
    I'm not originally from Clemson -- only been here three years. I'm originally from Colorado (suberb areas -- Littleton and Golden mostly). I lived in Los Alamos for a summer -- it was pretty awsome just a bit $$$ for what I got. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    Joe is very kind. Let me know if you require some good, honest wrenching.

As others have said, Española can be daunting for someone new to New Mexico's cultural uniqueness. That said, there are lots of great people there, too. As with any rural area, don't flash a flashy bike around, keep it locked and out of sight and maybe invest in a security system or service. I used to do some housesitting down in those parts and it wasn't unusual to experience some surprises now and then.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure you'll end up loving New Mexico.
    Awesome -- I know I'll need some help. I've got some old and worn parts and after making adjustments it's better but it still needs work. I probably just need to bend over and invest in some parts -- time will come for it.

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Especially at walmart!

I hope you are an aggressive driver, the morning/evening commute coming from the valley is an experience!
    haha -- I've got my fiance to ride with -- so between the two of us, we'll get through

Thanks for all the encouragement guys...

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Really?

I have nothing against Espanola. My father actually lived there for many years. There are good parts and bad parts, just like anywhere.

BUT...

If you assume you'll be driving up the hill ~20 times a month, and it's an hour round trip, and that you spend, say, 50 cents a mile on fuel/insurance/maintenance on your car, it gets hard to justify not just living in LA.

I mean, even if you decide your time in the car is worth zero and you don't mind the drive, you're still spending *at least* an extra $600 or so a month just to go to work every day. Is the rental price difference between LA and Espanola these days really that big?

Edit: Looked it up out of curiosity. You can rent a *really* nice spacious condo in town with a trail basically in your backyard for $700-1000. Houses are more, but I don't think you can make up $600 a month unless you live in the ghetto. And you do not want to live in the crappy parts of Espanola.

Waltworks Bicycles: Tuesday rant!

And you will have to drive to ride, to boot. LA has probably the best trail access (I cannot think of any place in town more than 1/2 mile from a trailhead) ever. That's worth a lot if you like riding bikes. Plus you've got some really nice road rides out the back door in LA, versus basically nothing (at least nothing safe) in Espanola. Bike commuting in LA is no problem if you want groceries or whatever. I would not try it in Espanola, etc, etc.

Regardless, northern NM rocks. Enjoy it.

-Walt

Edit: For you locals -- I found a house in Espanola to rent and we're signed and ready to move in!! Ahhh...January 18th we'll be getting in -- who wants to unload the truck...haha jk, but seriously looking forward to all!
    Last edited by Walt; 12-13-2012 at 07:51 AM.
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I have nothing against Espanola. My father actually lived there for many years. There are good parts and bad parts, just like anywhere.

BUT...

If you assume you'll be driving up the hill ~20 times a month, and it's an hour round trip, and that you spend, say, 50 cents a mile on fuel/insurance/maintenance on your car, it gets hard to justify not just living in LA.

I mean, even if you decide your time in the car is worth zero and you don't mind the drive, you're still spending *at least* an extra $600 or so a month just to go to work every day. Is the rental price difference between LA and Espanola these days really that big?

Waltworks Bicycles: Tuesday rant!

And you will have to drive to ride, to boot. LA has probably the best trail access (I cannot think of any place in town more than 1/2 mile from a trailhead) ever. That's worth a lot if you like riding bikes. Plus you've got some really nice road rides out the back door in LA, versus basically nothing (at least nothing safe) in Espanola. Bike commuting in LA is no problem if you want groceries or whatever. I would not try it in Espanola, etc, etc.

Regardless, northern NM rocks. Enjoy it.

-Walt

Definitely things to consider.

When I was working at LA I found it more cost effective (and a better standard of living) to commute to LANL and live in ABQ. Sure it was a 4hr/220 mile round trip - but it would have cost me double+ to buy a house comparable to what I already had.

I joined a van pool which cost me $100/150 per month out of pocket.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Wow.

Even if I don't have to drive and it's got comfy seats, I would not consider 4 hours/day (that's ~1/4 of your time awake!) in a van a "better standard of living". I'd live in the world's crappiest apartment quite happily in exchange for 4 hours/day of free time. Hell, I'd live in a tent.

To each their own, though. To some people a nice house is really important and makes them happy, and is worth a lot of sacrifice. To me it's just a way to keep the rain off between family outings, rides, etc.

-Walt

Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate View Post
    Definitely things to consider.

When I was working at LA I found it more cost effective (and a better standard of living) to commute to LANL and live in ABQ. Sure it was a 4hr/220 mile round trip - but it would have cost me double+ to buy a house comparable to what I already had.

I joined a van pool which cost me $100/150 per month out of pocket.
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    Especially at walmart!

^ this

It's locally known as the "Taco 500".

I <3 NM
    Even if I don't have to drive and it's got comfy seats, I would not consider 4 hours/day (that's ~1/4 of your time awake!) in a van a "better standard of living". I'd live in the world's crappiest apartment quite happily in exchange for 4 hours/day of free time. Hell, I'd live in a tent.

To each their own, though. To some people a nice house is really important and makes them happy, and is worth a lot of sacrifice. To me it's just a way to keep the rain off between family outings, rides, etc.

-Walt
    It worked out ok - the project I was engineering didn't make the funding list this FY, so I picked up another position back in ABQ.

I was really suprised at the number of folk who commute from ABQ to LA daily tho. I was on a 4/10 schedule, so it wasn't that bad - long days however.

Genius
    When you look at the price of housing in LA it is not surprising at all that people commute from as far as ABQ. 20 year old single wide trailers are going for around 200k. If you want a house, an older small one starts at 350-400k. I have had many, many, projects in LA that each lasted a few months and it's still cheaper to commute than to stay even in the hotels up there. On a long day or bad weather day I usually go to the Cities of Gold which was usually half the price of the rooms in LA.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

NOOB
    I couldn't imagine commuting from ABQ...that's a bit too far.

But really we preferred a house. You can complain about cost of a car etc...but we get pretty good millage on both our cars and really can't complain.

It's not worth it to me to live in a tiny little apartment with neighbors above and below for the same cost as a house with a little bit of a drive...

Call me "stupid" but more time to enjoy each other before and after work seems alright with me...

I <3 NM
    You have to do what works best for you.

I hate apartment living also.

Plus look for a carpool - there are quite a few of them & LANL has a commuter webpage you can access from their intraweb.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    No, not calling you stupid. You can always move, after all, if you hate it. My point was that the holy grail is pretty much in your grasp - you can live right near where you work AND where the best trails are (LA has at least 100 miles of ST, if you add it all up). There is really nothing better than pulling the mountain bike out of the house, riding to work, putting in 4 hours, lunch ride, 4 more hours, evening ride, beer/dinner, then plenty of time still left for whatever else you want to do. It's addictive to have that kind of free time, especially once you have kids and free time is harder to come by.

But hey, as I said, different priorities. On my deathbed I'm pretty sure I won't be thinking "man, I wish I'd lived in a bigger house". There might be some internet-time-wasting regret, though...

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

NOOB
    No, not calling you stupid. You can always move, after all, if you hate it. My point was that the holy grail is pretty much in your grasp - you can live right near where you work AND where the best trails are (LA has at least 100 miles of ST, if you add it all up). There is really nothing better than pulling the mountain bike out of the house, riding to work, putting in 4 hours, lunch ride, 4 more hours, evening ride, beer/dinner, then plenty of time still left for whatever else you want to do. It's addictive to have that kind of free time, especially once you have kids and free time is harder to come by.

But hey, as I said, different priorities. On my deathbed I'm pretty sure I won't be thinking "man, I wish I'd lived in a bigger house". There might be some internet-time-wasting regret, though...

-Walt

Well aren't you just a lucky guy then...

I'm sorry we can't afford to live in LA and have your fancy dream -- but we got what we could afford. A lot of apartments have large deposits for pets or don't allow them -- our pets are family so they will stay. There's slim pickings when you aren't in the area to look yourself so **** happens and you take what you get. Fortunately we are happy people and don't have any problem enjoying our own lives despite how others apparently think our lives will be sooooo miserable. We'll be happy and take it as it goes...

Now go try and rain on someone else's parade, because it's all sun and shine here...

Genius
    I couldn't imagine commuting from ABQ...that's a bit too far.

But really we preferred a house. You can complain about cost of a car etc...but we get pretty good millage on both our cars and really can't complain.

It's not worth it to me to live in a tiny little apartment with neighbors above and below for the same cost as a house with a little bit of a drive...

Call me "stupid" but more time to enjoy each other before and after work seems alright with me...
    No, not stupid at all. If I worked full time in LA I would honestly probably be doing exactly what your doing. Good Luck and welcome.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Sorry, I think you took that the wrong way (or I came across the wrong way). I think you will love northern NM and if I still lived there I'd buy you some beers and help you tune up your ride. People are friendly, the weather is great, and the riding in LA is amazing. If you're a rock climber, check out White Rock and El Rito (and Diablo if you want to do something a little more adventurous). If you're not a climber yet, give it a whirl, because the climbing is amazing, especially on sunny winter days when the trails are too wet.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

I <3 NM
    Add snow sports to that list, cuz we're hoping that Paj is getting slammed with some snow right now.. Finally

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Pajarito rocks

I remember you could ski a half day of powder, then drive down to White Rock and be climbing at the Overlook with no shirt on on the right day. Great stuff.

Does Paj still get snow? I know some stuff burned (a lift was down, right?) in that most recent big fire.

-W

Add snow sports to that list, cuz we're hoping that Paj is getting slammed with some snow right now.. Finally
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Is the bike OK?
    Does Paj still get snow? I know some stuff burned (a lift was down, right?) in that most recent big fire.-W
    Hell yeah Walt, we still get snow! Last year there was one point when we had more snow than anyone else in the entire country and we had it all to ourselves cause everyone thought the entire area burned down. We did lose two lifts in the fire but both were rebuilt this year (I think Town Sight may still need stress testing before it goes operational). They are also reopening the far west runs that were in the high burn area.

I <3 NM
    I just saw this post where LANL is closed today thx to this winter storm.

But Paj has some GREAT mountain biking in the summer season... lots of trails from mild to wild.

They locals have been busting their butts up there since the big fire 2 yrs ago to get stuff rebuilt.

NOOB
    I just saw this post where LANL is closed today thx to this winter storm.

But Paj has some GREAT mountain biking in the summer season... lots of trails from mild to wild.

They locals have been busting their butts up there since the big fire 2 yrs ago to get stuff rebuilt.
    I'm going to like having snow days again.

Never did ski when I lived in Colorado -- didn't have the money growing up. I did get to go snowboarding 3-4 times with a few friends though, I'm excited to be close to the hill...hopefully I can get out and make a fool of myself!!

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Pajarito is probably the best "local" ski area in the universe when it has snow: reasonable vert, lots of types of terrain, never a lift line, and pretty darn cheap. Los Alamos is the only place I have every lived with the sheer variety of outdoor recreation available in all seasons. I guess the boating is limited (Box, Pilar, Chama is about it unless you're one of those "I want to die" steep creek people and can wait for just the right conditions) but seriously:
    -100 miles of singletrack out your door plus a ton of random old dirt roads.
    -Great road riding both around the WR/Truck Route loop (can you still do that with the new security?) and in the Jemez, again right out your door.
    -Killer winter (White Rock) and summer (Dungeon, Las Conchas) rock climbing within 15 minutes.
    -Best little ski area on earth (if you get snow) that is dirt cheap and a 15 minute drive from town.
    -Not bad bike commuting in town (unless it's gotten terrible for some reason in the last 15 years).
    -A million hikes to a surprising number of different altitudes and climates.
    -Really good "ball sport" facilities/fields and swimming pool, etc if you're into that stuff.

I have never figured out how LA couldn't manage to turn itself into more of an outdoor tourism destination, maybe it's just the location or the reputation of the community. The fires didn't help, of course.

-Walt
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

I <3 NM
    Gotta love NM

mtbr member
    that is awesome Nate. Well done sir.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

I <3 NM
    Pajarito is probably the best "local" ski area in the universe when it has snow: reasonable vert, lots of types of terrain, never a lift line, and pretty darn cheap. Los Alamos is the only place I have every lived with the sheer variety of outdoor recreation available in all seasons. I guess the boating is limited (Box, Pilar, Chama is about it unless you're one of those "I want to die" steep creek people and can wait for just the right conditions) but seriously:
    -100 miles of singletrack out your door plus a ton of random old dirt roads.
    -Great road riding both around the WR/Truck Route loop (can you still do that with the new security?) and in the Jemez, again right out your door.
    -Killer winter (White Rock) and summer (Dungeon, Las Conchas) rock climbing within 15 minutes.
    -Best little ski area on earth (if you get snow) that is dirt cheap and a 15 minute drive from town.
    -Not bad bike commuting in town (unless it's gotten terrible for some reason in the last 15 years).
    -A million hikes to a surprising number of different altitudes and climates.
    -Really good "ball sport" facilities/fields and swimming pool, etc if you're into that stuff.

I have never figured out how LA couldn't manage to turn itself into more of an outdoor tourism destination, maybe it's just the location or the reputation of the community. The fires didn't help, of course.

-Walt
    If LA just had a great mico brewery, that'd be the topping on the cake.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast