mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Looking for a shuttle driver to Angel Fire on 10/5

I will be in town ever so briefly on Monday and I would like someone to shuttle me to Angel Fire (or thereabout) so I can do the South Boundary into Taos. I am willing to pay for the service so if anyone needs a little extra cash for little or no work this would be perfect.

I know that Monday is an odd day to be out riding but that is what the schedule allowed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm down, but I can only take you to the top of the pass for a hook up with EBT or to Valle Escondido for a FR 70 romp. Up to you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Greg,

I am familiar with FR70 and wouldn't mind the climb up the mountain to the trailhead. I am not sure where EBT or Valle Esconido is though. Give me a clue.

I think we can do this thing. How does Monday morning work for you?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you are familiar with FR 70, the valley with the golf course is Valle Escondido.

Elliot Barker Trail is the bomb if you ask me. Mostly single track, tech, fun and tough. Perfect juxtaposition to the buffed out nature of most of the SBT. Leaves from the top of Palo Flachado, the pass to Angel Fire.

Do you have GPS? Own a good map of the area?

Check out this thread: GITA Sunday - South Boundary Trail option A

What kind of riding you like to do?
    Bike?
    Pace?

Way to rush to get that first post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    All right, I know I was late in the reply but I had THINGS to Do. Work, ride my bike, fix the stupid rear hub, etc.

I do have a GPS and have downloaded a course that take FR70 up to the trailhead. I found one on the EBT but it was only a loop and did not connect to the SBT. You got anything out there that I could use?

I ride a Turner Sultan 29er, a bit heavy but a great handler. I am a moderate rider but not a racer. I will at times stop and actually eat and take pictures like a tourist.

On a recent ride out in Oregon we climbed over 4,000 feet and I averaged 7.8 mph. Not bad for a rec rider.

Send more info on the EBT, it sounds worth a look.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I was commenting that you have been an MTBR member since June of ought seven and waited until today to have your first post, I thought it was cool that your first post was asking for a shuttle for my home trail.

What do you use for a mapping program so I know what to send you.

check out: 4 Days in the 505 (pic intensive)
    EBT to SBT was day #3

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the links to the threads. The pictures are very inspiring. I can feel my lungs burning already.

I use Garmin connect online to download files or another Garmin app that will take TCX files. As much as I would like to stay all day I am afraid I will have to be on the road later that day. So, I think I would like to keep the mileage under 30 if possible. That should give me a good appetite and a good beer (or six) before heading out to California.

Regarding my first post I can only say what my friend's son said when they asked him why he didn't speak for the first 6 years of his life - "I just didn't have anything to say".

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    FR 70 is the way to go then, right at 30. It is a really good ride. Let me know your plans.

Greg

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the recommendation. This is the ride I wanted to do all along but some of my homies who have made the ride said I needed to start from Angel fire. Frankly, I want to feel like I have earned the downhill.

So, plans are as follows: Around 8:30 am on 10/25 - Park truck at Eske's, go to FR70, ride bike. After ride - eat food, drink beer, drive down the road. I forgot to mention "breathe deeply" but figured that was a given.

Thanks again Greg for the links and service. It's good to have a "man on the ground". How much would you like to charge for the shuttle and good advice?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So this ride turned out to be one of my favorites for the year. The colors were as good as they are going to get and the company was pretty out of this world. Talked Cat into taking the morning (turned into day) off of work, so the pics are better than usual. Richard is one of the nicest guys you would ever want to meet and quite the hammerer for a guy from the flat lands, not to mention a few years my senior.

He had expressed and interest in doing FR 70 and I was happy to leave him to it, but when he turned out to be this amazing character, we asked him along for what we had planned. SBT to Jaracita back to SBT to town. Quite a bit of work for a guy from Kansas City but he did it with style, even rocking El Nogal like he owned the place.

Richard is a performer that travels all around putting on shows that make people happy. I laughed all day.

He has a website and one amazing bike. http://www.vodvill.com/artistpages/a...cle_Cycle.html

He didn't ride that bike for the trail, but that would be a sight.

Richard and I on Jaracita.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Fun (and lots of wind) on top of Osha Mountain.
    Photobucket

Corner Park:
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I <3 NM
    You always meet the best peeps out riding..
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks to Greg for his most excellent guiding. I was in such an oxygen deprived state most of the time that it was wonderful to not have to worry about map details, rock cairns, and bears. He took care of all those things. I would recommend Greg to anyone visiting Taos as the best guide you could find. He's not a bad painter either.

Greg - It was a joy to meet you and Cat. You two are living a high life in more ways than one. Cat was a welcome addition too - what great pictures! I have so few pictures of myself riding, may I have her permission to add these to my gallery?

Here is the pictures taken with my phone that you might like -

banned
    Wow! Great pics and the weather looks like it cooperated as well.

Well done!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Bryan, it cooperated well enough. It was windy. Coming down from Osha I almost got blown over, overall not bad though. I will let Cat know you liked her pictures.

Richard, there a few more as well, add away and I can email them to you if you want.

mtbr member
    There's nothing like riding on that yellow carpet of leaves this time of year. Sweet photos.