banned

Looking to ride Mcgaffey! {updated w/pix}

Any advice? Will be in the area tomorrow the 18th. Suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 09-19-2008 at 06:35 PM.

banned
    What, no help?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I like riding either the Quaken Aspen trail or the Quazi Moto, which is kinda a combo of the Quaken as they join together. I prefer to ride the Quazi from crossing the road directly across from the start of the Quaken, you have to cross over a fence, but you will see the single track, really nice section. It will shoot you across the road farther down again and ou start a climb up to a nice overlook. The trail comes out at a pond on the Quaken, where you would take a left and come back down. You can pick up a trail book from the bike shop in Gallup , thinking it's called High Mesa or something like that. I am terrible with directions. You can also just ride the Quaken straight up and make a loop. Hope I didn't confuse you too much, pick up the trail book, lots of good info. It is a nice ride, was thinking about doing that ride (Quazi) tomorrow myself. I'm just waiting on word from one of my riding partners where he wants to ride or if he can go or not.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    When are you heading over there? Looking at by Gallup waypoints book, Looks like Quaking and Quasimoto is the way to go. Ive got a Map Book you can borrow if you want. The Gallup Wayoints book has several rides in that area, as well as all around Gallup. The dusk till dawn trail on the North West end of town is a blast as well.

banned

Rode it today!

Thanks for the support Mike & Pelts. I called the LBS to get the skinny. I pretty much did Quaking Aspens (beeeeaaaautiful ) to the upper intersection of Y2K (looking for Turkey Nest), looped back around to Quaking Aspen on Y2K and then back up Quaking Aspen. This was a perfect warm up loop!

Climbing up QA the second time, I bybassed the first connector to Turkey Nest and took the next connector and backtracked a bit to the TN trail. From here I just followed the outer loop (Lost Lake Rim) back to the car. Although, I did notice another ST to the left once I hit the intersection of Smoking Handlebar and the Berma trail. Folowed it for a while, but it wasn't the direction that I wanted to be going. Anyone know where this leads?

Some pix from today. Great weather out there and the pines are starting to brown. Good contrasts.

Starting off from mile marker 3

Very well developed trail. Sometimes you forget your in the middle of nowhere

Some slickrock

Hmmmm, I see another way

Flowy sections with little boosters along the way

More buff ST

Dutch Oven?

???

Ummm, OK!

The little sprinkle that I got about 2hrs in was perfect. It firmed everything up....and I loved the woop section on Berma trail

Good Day

banned

Least I forget Maka,

...and his infinite wisdom? Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Nice photos there Bryan.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    Thanks Von, nice ride if your travelin through.

High Alpine Adventure

Looks nice....

Rightous Bry... Looks like Bill and the 2010 gang are doing quite the job in the Zuni's. I rode there a couple years back and went up by a Fire tower... really solid climb. Not sure where this hooks in with what you did. Also rode Mile Marker 3 about 4-5 years back when it was cow paths. There is some awesome riding out there no doubt... including the Wave Area (Slick Rock).

Definitely would like to get back out some time... Thanks for sharing the pics and sharing the ride report.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

banned
    Yeah, the ST had a few rough spots and some 'dodgers'....

I made a few of the images into gif's

Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 09-20-2008 at 06:58 AM.