mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Looking into moving from Scottsdale to NM.

I've yet to spend any considerable time in NM but the wife and I are open to visiting in order to see if it would be for us. I know there would be no shortage of great trails to ride, but wife wants more than that. Reasons we're thinking of moving out of the Phoenix valley? The air quality is piss poor and is giving me hell with sinus issues, allergies, and coughing. Also we would like some change in seasons. So my wife, and two little girls 7 years old and 2, are looking to move. I'm thinking Albuquerque area but would be open to other suggestions on where to look. My 7 year old is enrolled in Catholic school so I would be looking to keep her in a Catholic school if I move there. Any advice from you all is welcome and thankful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Basically guys what would be the best parts of town in or around Albuquerque?

mtbr member
    I like the north east heights. but as far as catholic schools go Saint Pios(sp?) is a large one and its on the west side(which is the suburbs) depending on where you work the commute could be bad but if your coming from a large area you may not consider 45min much of a commute.

the city is separated by the rio grande with the sandia mountains serving as the east boundary and an endless dust bowl of sorrow and tears on the edge of the west side. property crime is highest in the se and sw quadrants of the city.

all the good trails are to the east right at the edge of town or just on the other side)

move to the northeast heights put the kids in public school and spend the money you saved on a thankyou gift for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodson View Post
    Bandoleroooooooooooos!

mtbr member
    We're pretty limited on Ferrari and Lamborghini dealerships.

Bummer, I'm sure...
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Housing budget? Profession? Which allergies? We've got tons of allergens. Lows to minus 17, high of 108. Springtime for Phoenix. You're on this forum, so riding must be important. I'd be hard pressed to think of a better place to ride, work, live and raise a family. I've been other places and many have two or three of those. Maybe Portland. Too wet for me.
    Last edited by tyrebyter; 3 Days Ago at 06:26 PM. Reason: sp

mtbr member
    Northeast heights is convenient for daily rides/runs in the foothills. We're looking for a new house at the moment and we're hoping to be north of Montgomery, south of Paseo del Norte and east of Eubank/Juan Tabo. The further south and west you go from this area the worse it gets. We currently live just south of UNM and my wife saw 8 guys kicking the **** out of another half a block from our house at the plasma center on Yale. I also had a *****in' STP stolen from our house right before we moved in. I left it in the bedroom and 3 days later, it was gone. Some ****er who lived on the street must have seen me go inside. It's all good though, I'm gonna put a voodoo curse on the shovel they used to pry the window open. I'll curse it, then burn the **** out of it at White Sands on a full moon.

Another area we considered is the Bosque. East side of Rio Grande in the river bottom, north of I40. Water rights (from the Rio Grande) in the desert is the only way to have a bunch of grass, which would be nice for our dogs and kids but just too far from the trails. I consider this area to be quaint.

If your budget allows (~400K on up entry fee), aim for east of Tramway and north of Academy.

Edit: Another nook of niceness is near Lead Ave. just east of the river near the country club. Our child care is there, very nice and safe area adjacent to a large, grassy park.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Maybe Portland. Too wet for me.
    Portland is *only* wet from the third week of October through February. Haven't lived there since El Nino

but that year it was raining 6 days out of the week and cloudy the seventh. Summer was bone dry though. I would totally live there if my occupation wasn't so uber saturated and if the elevation was higher. It might be under water in 50 years.
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    Albuquerque is pretty pockety in terms of neighborhoods. Nice ones often border sketchy ones. We live in the SE quadrant, which has some of the worst neighborhoods, but also some nice ones. We live in Ridgecrest/parkland hills and it is pretty nice. Lots of little parks families with kids, people waking their dogs. Really, you can find a decent neighborhood near any area of town.

Albuquerque is really a large town not a true city which can be good and bad. Not very cosmopolitan but an easy place to live. We love it here.

From our house it is a half hour to the north foothills or to the major east mountain trailheads. The year round riding is a huge bonus.
    Last edited by IPunchCholla; 3 Days Ago at 10:17 PM.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

but i want to ride now
    Damn you autocorrect!
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member

Re: Looking into moving from Scottsdale to NM.

Quote Originally Posted by aldousfilcher View Post
    Damn you autocorrect!
    I swear, it some times "corrects" things after I hit send.
    2014 Devinci Troy Carbon XP

Stucco Bucket
    Our Lady Of Assumption is a good school for that age. I do a bit of IT work there.
    If you get a base/labs job then move up there.
    You should live on the side of the river that you work and send your kids to school on. Its really that easy.
    The pocket neighborhoods will cost you, and in 5 years that trendy pocket will move on. Westside real estate is pretty steady maybe declining. North Valley, Ridgecrest and huning hills always hold their value.