mtbr member

Looking for a beginner-ish XC-ish trail around Albuquerque

I've been riding about six months now. I have an entry level hardtail. I usually ride dirt/gravel/sand road out on the west side of Albuquerque, since I live out there. I'm not into drops and jumps, but I don't mind the rocks. I do enjoy the most of the foothills trails. But, alas, I'd like to try something new.

I was thinking about trying out white mesa, since it is close and appears to have a well marked trail. Any comments on this trail vs. my riding preferences, or any other trail suggestions?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The family digs White Mesa, you would probably like it.
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    White Mesa is a good choice. Do it clockwise. I would hit it early. Going to start getting a bit on the hot side out there soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    White Mesa is fine if that's what you've got in mind, but seems like an awfully long drive for a ride that's somewhat "out of season". I'd consider the upper (Beginner race) loop at Cedro to be a logical next step for a XC rider that's already comfortable with the (north) foothills.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The lower loop at the ski area - good intro to higher altitude trails - and the flowers, particularly the iris, are just amazing right now

good support and well marked.

banned
    Hey G,

Good to see you at the race!

While Cedro would be my first choice over WM, it appears the OP lives on the Westside. It would take just as long for him/her to drive to Cedro, and on a day like today WM would be perfect. You might give Red Mesa a try to.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the responses! Yes, I do live on the west side (Ventana Ranch area, and I am a him ) so white mesa isn't far at all. I think I will try it this weekend. It looks like Red Mesa is just across the street. Is there a well marked trail head or parking lot? I just saw a point on the map stating "Red Mesa."

banned
    Nah...Just look for the brown forest service sign about a mile west of San Ysidro. Park and go through the gate. Follow the double track until you come to another PL. From here there are multiple trails the shoot off in all directions...Pick One! Some of the features are not beginner'ish, but you will find some really cool slickrock to play on and feel free to explore because it is really tough to get lost out there.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    do you ride the loop out to the volcanoes out by Double Eagle airport?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NE2NM
    do you ride the loop out to the volcanoes out by Double Eagle airport?
    I've ridden to the volcanos a few times. Not sure which loop you are referring to. There are lots of roads out there, and I've ridden quite a few of them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vmax911
    I've ridden to the volcanos a few times. Not sure which loop you are referring to. There are lots of roads out there, and I've ridden quite a few of them.
    There's some singletrack, but most are road .......... really sandy roads.

I'd suggest Cedro or Tunnel over in the East mtns.

White and Red mesa get really hot during the summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NE2NM
    . . . most are road .......... really sandy roads.
    Yep, that's where I ride!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Oak Flats and Pine Flats

These two areas are connected and are great beginner type trails also. BEautiful forrested area, with minimal long dificult climbs.

There's a race at Oak Flat this Saturday, the NM School Mtb Series, juniors, beginners, adults, pros. Good intro to some of the trails.

Moo