mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Long time visitor looking for something new

So I値l be in SF on vacation next week. We have been traveling to the area for the past 15 years and are still trying to figure things out. I知 looking for suggestions on new trails to hit and places to eat.

First of all let痴 talk trails. I値l be riding Tuesday and Thursday mornings. Crack of dawn style. I知 willing to drive 30-40min if need be. I have done DB north, DB central, Windsor, Chamisa, Bear Wallow, Burn, Sidewinder, Aspen, Ravens, and REM. My favorite that I will hit up for sure is to park at Nun痴 and do the Burn-Windsor-Chamisa-Sidewinder loop. Its not very technical but still my fav. REM would be my fav if it did not need to be shuttled. At least without making it an all day ride to get up go down and back to town.

It seems as though we will be in town too early in the year to hit up some new stuff. Right now the only thing I can think of is DB south. I know there is a trail down in the valley but Im not sure that its my style. How about the stuff in LA? Is looks good but is it open?

Now lets talk food. Our places of choice are Tia Sophia, Tortilla Flats, Plaza Caf, Rooftop pizza, cowgirl, and Johnny Rockets of all places. I know the list is kind of weak. But once we find a dish at a place we gotta get it the next time we are in town. Places that we do not like are Blue Corn and Tomasita痴. Tomasita痴 claims they are a local favorite but Im thinking that might be a self proclamation. Their chili was bland and the chicken obviously came from a can. Any New Mex suggestions?

How about suggestions for Taos. We will spend a day there. Right now my favorite is Orlando痴.

How about suggestions for Old Town ABQ. We will spend a day there as well. We have never been before. But in passing we did hit up Sadies and loved it. At least I did. It was kinda on the spicy side that day.

Im also thinking about finding some snow for the little one. My guess is my best bet would be to drive up the mountain and stop when I see some??? Hopefully it will not be too dirty.

Sorry for the long post. Hopefully someone can help me out. Thanks

mtbr member
    Hey there RoundRock, Sounds like you have done a lot of stuff here. I think stuff above Chamisa trail is still a bit messy right now. The nuns ride you speak of is in great sghape though. I did REM last weekend and it is in GREAT shape. 'cept for some downfall. You can do REM without a shuttle no problem. You can park at the bottom of 102 and go from there and at the bottom of REM take the cutover trail right back to your car with no pavement needed. Also would suggest you try Atalaya to Dale Ball South to Dorothy Stewart trail. As for food I would say hit up Tune Up, Atrisco, and Marble for some liquid refreshment. Ohh yeaa and when in Taos one MUST hit up Guadalajara for fish tacos. Hope you have a great trip.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Since you asked, yes, everything in LA will be open by next week except for the trails up on Pajarito. Have a good trip!
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    SSweetleaf, you did REM? just from aspen Ranch right? I'm thinking of checking out Borrego/Bear Wallow and wondering if Winsor/Chamisa it is good from there down.
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Hey Cadabra, only did REM from Aspen Ranch down. Was thinking from the conditions up there that upper REM might be good to go as well. Let me know if you did Borrego I think I am going give it a go Sunday.

mtbr member
    I rode from town and did Dale Ball and up to Borrego and bear wallow there is no snow anywhere. You might be able to go up to Pacheco road and still not see snow on the trail. The first decent sized drifts off the trail were at the Borrego creek crossing.

Updated our Twitter feed, always check the Santa Fe Fat Tire Society website for the latest. Who is going to check out higher than Borrego?
    Last edited by cabra cadabra; 04-13-2013 at 12:34 PM.

mtbr member
    I was in LA a few weeks ago and the trails were in fantastic shape. Maybe even too dry.
    If you get tired of fast-n-flowy and want to test your skills, head up the hill to LA.
    Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed sheep, contesting the vote.

I ride with tools
    The Shed has some pretty good NNM fare, but their green chile is not hot enough for me. Try breakfast at Horseman's Haven for some real heat. Also, Second Street Brewing at the Railyard is solid - good food, good service, and great beer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Its my first full day back in town. Got in late last night.

The family had a blast in NM as always. The only new spot we hit up to eat was the Shed. It was outstanding. We got in right at 11 when it opened. By the time we left there was already a line at the door. That place got full quick.

Due to bike problems and the weather I was only able to get one ride in. But it was an awsome ride. Parked at Nuns, rode Burn, up Windsor, up Bear, Down Borrego, up Chamisa, then finally up down and around Sidewinder.

Not sure what is wrong with my fork. There seems to be something wrong with the negative pressure chamber. I was also only getting about 3" of travel out of the thing.

Ill share some NBR pictures a little later.

April snow is awesome BTW.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoundRockTJ View Post
    up Windsor,
    holy crap! winsor is rideable?
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Winsor below Norski and above Pacheco won't be ready until the 4th or so. LONG snow hike sections. Below Pacheco still some patches, but worth it if you ride up or shuttle from there. Check Twitter @ #sftrails or the SFFTS homepage for the latest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cabra cadabra View Post
    Winsor below Norski and above Pacheco won't be ready until the 4th or so. LONG snow hike sections. Below Pacheco still some patches, but worth it if you ride up or shuttle from there. Check Twitter @ #sftrails or the SFFTS homepage for the latest.
    Nice! thanks for the heads up
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ATXZJ View Post
    holy crap! winsor is rideable?
    I only made it up to Borrego. It was very dry and I did not see any snow anywhere.

That was on Tuesday.

It snowed on Wednesday and Thursday. Directly on the trail. I have some pics off the hwy of the snow building up. Im not from the area so I cannot say how long April snow sticks around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Riding up in LA is great right now, your going to have to go really high to find any snow.

My personal local favorites would be Bobcat Bite for green chili cheese burgers, Maria's (NM), Tune Up Cafe (Central American/NM), and Jambo Cafe (African/Jamaican).