mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Local Albuquerque trail questions...

I've been riding in the foothills by Tramway/Copper, Tramway/Indian School etc for the most part. I'm running into alot of loose dirt type trails and whatnot. Where can i find some more adequate "woods" type trails that would have a little harder dirt or whatnot to ride on? Albuquerque area. Anybody got any input on that?

mtbr member
    Do some searches on Otero, Tunnel or Cedro. Also look into the trails in the Sandias.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I regularly ride the bosque dirt trails, mainly because I live downtown and its easy to pop out in the evening after work or on the weekend when I want to maximize riding time and minimize the driving. Many people dismiss it because its flat, but there is a lot of dirt to ride, some fun features and pushing it fast is a hoot. Especially on my SS! Conditions are good right now after the rains, but it can get sandy in some areas when its dry.

On the east side, there are trails that run all the way from Rio Bravo to Alameda with minimal pavement (you occasionally have to hop on the bike path). If you cross to the west side of the river at Alameda, you can go all the way to Rio Rancho and that is some beautiful bosque. There are also interesting stretches on the west side, especially in the South Valley between Rio Bravo and Central.

Fast and flat, its a good place to practice skills like cornering, experiment with tire pressure and see some cool stuff. I once saw a bald eagle swoop into the river, pick up a duckling and then carry it down a ways and tear it apart. Watched the whole thing from the river bank. There are also some clever ways to get up to the volcanoes which is some interesting riding and gives you a little elevation gain.

Otero, Tunnel and Cedro are of course also great places to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for your input guys.

Do you get to the Bosque trails via Almeida?

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    I save the bosque for desperate times like winter when everything else is snowed in or to muddy to ride. Some of the best stuff is on the east side of the mtn. Otero, Tunnel, David Canyon and Cedro are all just south of Tijeras on Hwy 337 south. Cedro is a little more XCish and Otero, Tunnel area are a little more all mtn type stuff. Otero, Tunnel and David Canyon all interconnect and are on the west side of 337. Cedro is on the east side of 337. You can pick up a map at the ranger station on Hwy 337 in Tijeras. Have fun exploring.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'm looking for hard ground to ride on, not sand/loose dirt. Would that apply to the Bosque?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    The Corrales bosque can be accessed off Alameda on the west side of the river. Its a dirt parking lot and boat ramp. You access it heading west on Alameda. There can be a lot of horses but you'll have an idea of how many by the trailers in the lot.

Get up on the levee trail heading north. Right where the big engineered ramp meets the levee trail there s a cut on the right to drop into the bosque. The trail winds its way up in a wide area, braiding into a few routes. Pretty much any one takes you north and eventually they all reconnect. I see coyote up there quite often. You can go all the way up to Rio Rancho.

Is there sand? Yes, some. But its mostly hardpack, especially now.

I don't want to overstate it, but I really enjoy riding in this area mainly because I have limited time and its easy for me to access. Its fun for long endurance rides. I can do 40 miles, 90% on dirt 5 minutes from my house which is hard to beat. If you have more time, the east mountains is a guaranteed pleaser.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Very nice. I have to go to Edgewood tomorrow AM. I'll probably rack my bike up and head over there after i'm done in Edgewood. Thanks!

I love the Bosque, i think i know where you are talking about as i've went walking down there but not since last summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JB505 View Post
    I'm looking for hard ground to ride on, not sand/loose dirt. Would that apply to the Bosque?
    Im glad someone mentioned the bosque. Its nice and shady and has single track. The foot hills are close to me but i imagine for much of the city the bosque is closer. That said i avoid it. If your close to it check it out if not male time for it one day. East mountains are the spot right now.

We are luck to be able to ride all year differnt spots for diffent seaons. The bosqes time is once in a blue moon.

mtbr member
    Stop in at the ranger station and grab a free map. If I'm around, I can give recommendations.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Me finding a ranger station is probably impossible. I'm from MI. Even though i moved here in 2001, i've spent most of my time working 60+ hours pretty much every week since i've been here. I know where nothing is out here. I do know i've seen the exit for Cedar Crest/Tijeras off of I40 and i think that's the exit i took to get to the crest? I live on Juan Tabo and Central and haven't really gotten out much. Just a couple months ago i decided to get back into biking so i'm still trying to figure out where i like to go exactly. One of the bummer things is all of my friends (all 4 of them.) are lazy potheads and don't do anything but work, sit on their asses playing COD accomplishing nothing in life, so i bike by myself. I recently decided i'm missing out on this beautiful state and want to be outside as much as possible.

Sorry, got to ranting. But yeah, i don't know where the above mentioned road even is to get to any ranger station.

mtbr member
    You are so conveniently located to get to otero/cedro... Less than 15 min drive. I live on paseo/tram and it takes me longer to get to central/I40 than it does from Central/I40 to Otero!

Head out. Take Tijeras exit. Go south thru light on 14 to sign posted for either trailhead. Tunnel is Otero. As soon as u start entering canyon, Ranger Station on left. Can't miss it.

I rode SFH tonight and it sux balls right now from heavy rain. I think half of SFH is washed into IS parking lot!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    OK thanks! Maybe I'll try and get over there and try to check it out one of the next couple of days. Someone else I met out by Copper and Tramway I think recommended those trails up there as well. Thank you.
    Trying to sell a GIANT ROAM 2 or trade it for a HardTail MTB. Albuquerque area only.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Local Albuquerque trail questions...

Not really woodsy, but the foothills north and east of embudito are really green and pretty right now. I've been enjoying the change in scenery. It will be sad when the rain stops and everything dies.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah, i'm actually moving back to MI the end of August it looks like. Kind of a bad situation, but oh well.
    Trying to sell a GIANT ROAM 2 or trade it for a HardTail MTB. Albuquerque area only.