Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ugly As F*ck

Late October trip to northern New Mexico, worth it?

Hey neighbors to the west. I'm debating on whether I should take a 2 week road trip out to New Mexico or not at this time of year. I went to Angel Fire last year, but in July. I'd be coming from Houston. I'd hate to get all that way out there and run into crappy weather that will limit my mountain biking. Also I've never driven in snow and have a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

I wouldn't think there'd be much snow this time of year, but what do I know, I live in southeast Texas.

I know I'd want to hit Angel Fire again. Any suggestions on a good route or other places to ride if I do go? Last year I went north up toward Dallas and then across, I think this time I'd head straight west and go through El Paso. I want to stop in Roswell (yeah, I'm into the alien stuff). Also heard of a trail called Alien Run out near Farmington (again, the alien stuff lures me in). I'm thinking I want to head into southern Colorado also. You know, for the sweet mountain biking.. and ok maybe to buy some Mary J while I'm there.

mtbr member
    Albuquerque checks all the boxes.... what bike you bringing?

Ugly As F*ck
    I have a Trek Remedy 8. I figure I can ride anything from XC to DH on it.

mtbr member
    El Paso has a huge network of the rockiest, most technical trails in Texas. You should consider stopping for a ride on the way up to Abq/Santa Fe.

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by kinsler View Post
    El Paso has a huge network of the rockiest, most technical trails in Texas. You should consider stopping for a ride on the way up to Abq/Santa Fe.
    That's why I was wanting to head through there. Plus the route I took last year totally sucked ass.

Do you guys think I'll be alright heading to Angel Fire? I was thinking about going the last weekend they are open, which I believe is October 26th and 27th.

mtbr member
    Youll know as good as us... check the forcast.. i would defentetly have a back up plan.

Ugly As F*ck
    I'll keep my eyes on the weather. And I need to do some research on the trails out there, all I know is Angel Fire.

Anything in the Albuquerque area an intermediate rider should stay away from? Or not ride alone? I plan on doing all my rides alone. I'm slow, not very skilled and ugly, so people generally don't want to ride with me. And honestly, I prefer to be alone anyway.

mtbr member
    Yea lots of stuff.. white mesa is the best ride for you passing through abq. Classic scenery not very technical, easy to navigate. Pop back online when your in town for better directions. Or if change your mind theres always people willing to show you around

mtbr member
    +1 on White Mesa, especially solo. It's an amazing experience, more psychologically challenging than technically challenging. There are also two or three optional DH-y shots if you're feeling up for it.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    If the weather is good, Angel Fire during the last weekend could be spectacular. White Mesa is a classic as others have said and perfect in the fall.

You should definitely ride the Alien Run. It is a goofy good time that is fast and fun. Don't forget to stop at the top of the climb and read the little plaque about the UFO crash. The trail will be great that time of year, even if the weather turns cold-ish. The trail puts you a short ways away from Durango, and even if the high-country trails are snowed in, the trail network just outside of the downtown area is really fun. From there, you are spitting distance from Cortez, with it's classic trail, Phil's World—seriously something not to be missed.

Yep. There's lots of good riding this time of year around these parts. Have fun!

mtbr member
    good ole' white mesa

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6euhr21nlkg?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Nice vid!

mtbr member
    Thanks the tank(bradley) is my faviort

Ugly As F*ck
    I watched several videos of White Mesa, looks incredible.

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutter Jim View Post
    If the weather is good, Angel Fire during the last weekend could be spectacular. White Mesa is a classic as others have said and perfect in the fall.

You should definitely ride the Alien Run. It is a goofy good time that is fast and fun. Don't forget to stop at the top of the climb and read the little plaque about the UFO crash. The trail will be great that time of year, even if the weather turns cold-ish. The trail puts you a short ways away from Durango, and even if the high-country trails are snowed in, the trail network just outside of the downtown area is really fun. From there, you are spitting distance from Cortez, with it's classic trail, Phil's World—seriously something not to be missed.

Yep. There's lots of good riding this time of year around these parts. Have fun!
    Can't believe I had never heard of Phil's World, I checked out some YouTube vids of that place, looks like a ton of fun. If I make it as far as Colorado that will be on the list for sure.

Only thing about Alien Run is it's pretty far out there. I'm bad at planning these sort of things so I don't know how far I'll be able to make it. Another city that interests me (for the creepy/alien factor) is Dulce, are there any trails near there or are the trails in Farmington going to be the closest?

And how is the climbing on some of these trails? Being from Houston I don't get much chance to work on climbing so I kinda suck at it, and my bike isn't really set up for it (1x10 with a chain guide).

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Don't waste your time in Dulce. There is nothing there but disappointment.

Ugly As F*ck
    Don't waste your time in Dulce. There is nothing there but disappointment.
    Wait a sec... do you work for the government?

Ugly As F*ck
    I will be lost.

I just hope they don't turn me inside out with their laser thingies like they do with cows.

Ugly As F*ck
    So far my planned stops look something like this...

El Paso
    Roswell
    Albuquerque
    Santa Fe
    Farmington (area)
    Durango
    Cortez
    Angel Fire

That's if I decide to hit Angel Fire on the return trip, which I would probably want to do if I'm planning on going the last days they are open (October 26th and 27th). Roswell is kind of out of the way, but I still want to go. Are there any trails near Roswell? If not I'm at least stopping for a t shirt and a bumper sticker.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    Wait a sec... do you work for the government?
    Hah hah. As a matter of fact I do work for the government. My interests are similar to some of the ones you stated here, so I have found myself up in Dulce a couple of times—once to camp at the the site of Project Gasbuggy (underground nuclear test to try and release natural gas), and another time to see if I could find the entrance to the secret underground alien base in the hills outside of town. I can tell you from experience that that town was extremely sad, the people unfriendly, and the terrain uninspiring. I base my previous comment on those factors rather than a sweeping government conspiracy.

Nevertheless, have fun wherever you end up. New Mexico is a fine state!

mtbr member
    So far my planned stops look something like this...

El Paso
    Roswell
    Albuquerque
    Santa Fe
    Farmington (area)
    Durango
    Cortez
    Angel Fire

That's if I decide to hit Angel Fire on the return trip, which I would probably want to do if I'm planning on going the last days they are open (October 26th and 27th). Roswell is kind of out of the way, but I still want to go. Are there any trails near Roswell? If not I'm at least stopping for a t shirt and a bumper sticker.
    Damn that sounds like a fun little road trip. Be sure to say whats up when you make it through abq

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Roswell is kind of out of the way, but I still want to go. Are there any trails near Roswell? If not I'm at least stopping for a t shirt and a bumper sticker.
    In nearby Fort Stanton there are some pretty cool trails. They have used them the past couple of years for a 12-hour race. The course is fourteen miles. Most of it is single track. There are a couple of ugly climbs, but the downhill parts are fast and flowy. Here is a link to the strava page for the course.

Be sure to stop at Classics frozen custard while you are in Roswell. It's right on the main drag. Good stuff.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank N. Byke View Post
    Well, you'd be unfriendly too if you had to cohabitate with Aliens. It probably reminds them of Mars. Which begs the question why we spent billions exploring such uninspiring terrain.
    I don't know about you, but I can imagine some pretty awesome singletrack on Mars!

I like this place

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank N. Byke View Post
    Well, you'd be unfriendly too if you had to cohabitate with Aliens. It probably reminds them of Mars. Which begs the question why we spent billions exploring such uninspiring terrain.
    Uninspiring?

Get out of here.

Biggest canyon in the solar system, as well as the biggest mountain, and it's made out of nice grippy rock all the way down. ~1/3 gravity too, for great big airs (aside from the lack of air).
    God hates figs. Luke 13:6-9

Ugly As F*ck
    Redbull Rampage on Mars?

It could happen.

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Damn that sounds like a fun little road trip. Be sure to say whats up when you make it through abq
    If this trip comes to fruition I will let you know when I'm there.

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine Willie View Post
    In nearby Fort Stanton there are some pretty cool trails. They have used them the past couple of years for a 12-hour race. The course is fourteen miles. Most of it is single track. There are a couple of ugly climbs, but the downhill parts are fast and flowy. Here is a link to the strava page for the course.

Be sure to stop at Classics frozen custard while you are in Roswell. It's right on the main drag. Good stuff.
    Does that trail in Fort Stanton have a name? I was trying to find YouTube vids of it to see what it looked like but came up empty.

I'm lactose intolerant so I'm not sure about the frozen custard.. although it does sound good. Any burger joints there that are "out of this world"?

Ugly As F*ck
    A bit of a revised (and still very tentative) itinerary...

October 19th Drive to El Paso. Camp.
    October 20th ride in El Paso. Head to Roswell. Possibly head to ABQ the same day.
    October 21st and 22nd ride and camp in ABQ. Drive up to Santa Fe.
    October 23rd and 24th ride and camp in Santa Fe. Drive to Angel Fire.
    October 25th ride in Angel Fire/Taos area (non bike park, won't be open).
    October 26th and 27th try not to get hurt riding DH at Angel Fire.
    October 28th drive to Farmington area (or wherever Alien Run is). Ride Alien Run. Camp.
    October 29th and 30th trek northward to Durango for 2 days of riding/camping. Head out toward Cortez.
    October 31st and Nov 1st ride and camp in Cortez.
    November 2nd make the return trip home.

Just something I sketched out real quick. I could use suggestions on the top trails I should consider on each of these potential stops.

Also, as funny as this may seem, I've never camped before so I need to know the bare essentials I'll need. I made a thread in the vacations forum but only one reply. I'm looking at 500+ in fuel so I need to keep costs down. Hotels won't really be an option. Free camp sites are what I need.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Does that trail in Fort Stanton have a name? ... Any burger joints there that are "out of this world"?
    You can get a burger anywhere in the universe. Why do you think aliens mutilate cattle? You can get a great meal at the Cowboy Cafe on 2nd street in Roswell though. That place has some great food.

Interestingly enough, I don't really know the name of the trail in Ft. Stanton. It's off of highway 220. I think they call it the Equestrian Trailhead. It's on BLM land, the Ft. Stanton conservation area or something.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Big mistake, imo, to go to Ruidoso and not ride the Ft Stanton course. Very sweet XC loop. Easiest trailhead in the world to find, and easy to follow if you download my gps track.

Ruidoso (Ft. Stanton) 12hr by RDCip at Garmin Connect - Details

Ugly As F*ck
    I'm thinking now I might leave on Friday the 25th and go straight to AF. That will have my vacation stretching into mid November. I know weather is unpredictable and can vary season to season, but based on previous years, have you guys been able to ride that late in northern NM and southern CO?

I ride with tools
    My $0.02......

October 28th drive to Farmington area (or wherever Alien Run is). Ride Alien Run. Camp.....
    I get that you're obsessed with aliens, but I would skip this ride in favor of a second day in Cortez. I'd rather ride Phil's World once than ride Alien Run 10 times. Take a second day in Cortez to ride the Sand Canyon trails west of town. Nice singletrack and Anasazi ruins all over.

Also, as funny as this may seem, I've never camped before so I need to know the bare essentials I'll need.
    Long underwear, a solid down sleeping bag, warm clothes, and a bottle of good bourbon. It will most likely be at or below freezing every night.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    ...I'd rather ride Phil's World once than ride Alien Run 10 times. Take a second day in Cortez to ride the Sand Canyon trails west of town. Nice singletrack and Anasazi ruins all over...
    Yes. This is great advice!

Also, if you are an early riser and the weather is nice, you could probably hit the Alien run on your way to Cortez. We often do this.

I like this place

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    My $0.02......

I get that you're obsessed with aliens, but I would skip this ride in favor of a second day in Cortez. I'd rather ride Phil's World once than ride Alien Run 10 times. Take a second day in Cortez to ride the Sand Canyon trails west of town. Nice singletrack and Anasazi ruins all over.

Long underwear, a solid down sleeping bag, warm clothes, and a bottle of good bourbon. It will most likely be at or below freezing every night.
    I'm not obsessed with aliens, it's just been an interest of mine since I was little. I'm not expecting to see little green men on the trails or find crash debris, I'm more into the novelty of it all. More just something to do to say I did it. Like going to Roswell, something I've wanted to do since I was young, and now I'll have the chance to.

I will look into the Sand Canyon trails. You also just hit on something else I'm really into. I love anything to do with ancient civilizations and cultures. I just google image searched "anasazi ruins cortez", I would love to see some of the things in these pictures up close and personal.

Ugly As F*ck
    Also, if you are an early riser and the weather is nice, you could probably hit the Alien run on your way to Cortez. We often do this.
    I usually get up pretty early, so this sounds like a good idea.

Ugly As F*ck
    Is it worth visiting the "four corners" or would it just be dull and uneventful? Looks like I'd be close when in Cortez.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Is it worth visiting the "four corners" or would it just be dull and uneventful? Looks like I'd be close when in Cortez.
    It's kind of like the Third World with pickup trucks....

I like this place

Airborne Flight Crew
    ..and I've heard rumor that despite the usgs marker, it's not actually where the four corners meet, have to look it up now... I'd rather go to Phil's again than see the four corners...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member

October 20th ride in El Paso. Head to Roswell. Possibly head to ABQ the same day.
    October 28th drive to Farmington area (or wherever Alien Run is). Ride Alien Run. Camp.
    October 29th and 30th trek northward to Durango for 2 days of riding/camping. Head out toward Cortez.

Just something I sketched out real quick. I could use suggestions on the top trails I should consider on each of these potential stops.

Also, as funny as this may seem, I've never camped before so I need to know the bare essentials I'll need. I made a thread in the vacations forum but only one reply. I'm looking at 500+ in fuel so I need to keep costs down. Hotels won't really be an option. Free camp sites are what I need.
    Hey uglyboy - you won't regret Alien, I guarantee it! Here is a link to my ride from a few months back on a new bike. I ride there every weekend, so if you need help getting there, let me know.

mtbr member

FYI- If you want to camp in El Paso the best bet is Franklin Mt SP. If you get there after 5 pm the gates will be locked. Call ahead of time to make a reservation and they will give you the gate code so you can get in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Durango late October? IMO the good riding is in the high country, and you are pushing it, weather/season wise. Seems like a long ways to go for in townish stuff, which is OK if you are already there and have ridden Kennebec, Molas Pass etc. I would shorten the driving and not go to Durango. But that's me. If you rode Phils in Cortez, you could then take 491 south and ride the HDT in Gallup and the Zuni's in McGaffey, few miles east on I-40, and then roll home.

Ugly As F*ck
    I'm back and fourth with whether I'm going to make the trip or not. The cost is a huge deterrent as well. The gas alone is a chunk of money, and I have no supplies for camping at all other than the shell on my pickup so I'd have to buy everything.

mtbr member
    **** dude... just buy a good sleeping bag a can opener some socks under wears basket ball shorts and a bunch of canned ****. Then drive up to angel fire crash out in the back of your truck ride the next.day and drive to albuquerque the next morning and ride some more.... or scratch the stop in abq and stop in roswell.

Take from a fellow broke dude. Spending too much money is a sure fire way to ruin a trip.

So just get your feet wet.with the camping thing no need to buy all the supplies right away. Also leaving time.to leave and a day of rest when you get home is a nice way to unwind.

So i say budget under 150 for camping food and supplies. Go to angel fire first sleep and then see how you feel . Maybe go to cortez maybe not.... maybe ride in abq maybe not...

Lastly make it to roswell theres no riding that stands out but who cares. Get there during the day time tovisit the junk shops and buy a coffe mug or some thing.

Dont over commit or comimit.at.all just have fun. And remember to get gas when you can pull ober when you get sleepy and remember tjat the mountains arnt goint any where you can always ride the trails another time on another trip

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Like Fuglio said buy some cheap camping **** and be on your way. Yeah gas is gonna be the biggest expense, so drive less and ride more. And gas is cheap in Tx and NM, compared to other states. If you just hit El Paso (which sounds worth it) and NM it would be a good trip. I know it sounds cliche, but life goes quick. If you have the TIME, do it.

Ugly As F*ck
    Yeah, I hear what you guys are saying, and the part of me that still wants to make this trip agrees 100%.

There are other factors at play that I have not mentioned. To make a long story short I was supposed to transfer to a new job location in Nevada back in August, but it kept getting put off. I was going to use my vac. time on the drive out there to have a truly epic mtb trip. I'm talking west TX, NM, CO, Arizona, Utah and finally Nevada. I was going to zig zag the whole way out there taking my sweet time and riding my ass off. Now I won't be transfering until December it looks like, dead of freaking winter, no riding on the way. It's going to suck ass.

So here is another deterrent. I can take this 2 week trip now and try to salvage the end of the riding season in the real mountains and hit AF before it closes, but on the downside I do all of that driving and put all those miles on my truck to have to drive all the way back home, and then probably a month later drive all the way to Reno. I'm just thinking I'll be totally burned out on driving when it comes time for me to move.

I have no idea what I'm going to do. I appreciate you guys being supportive though. You NM guys are cool as hell. Too bad it's not like that here in TX where everyone is a d*ck.

mtbr member
    December riding is completely doable in many parts of NM. Not Angel Fire... well, if it's rideable in December, we are totally screwed as far as climate patterns go.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    I'm just thinking I'll be totally burned out on driving when it comes time for me to move.
    At the risk of divulging way too much personal information and bumming people out, here's my two cents:

If you have the opportunity and the means to do the trip, by all means do the trip. As someone who has recently rediscovered the Road Trip during the past few years, I can say there really is no such thing as too much driving, as long as you take the time to talk to people along the way, see the sights and stop worrying about things. We plan one must-do activity each day in every spot we want to see, and that gives us enough free time to improvise on other stuff.

Now for the personal part. I spent more than half a lifetime putting off things so I could "do them later," or do them "when I had enough money," or when I "didn't have so many responsibilities," etc., etc. One day out of the blue, my life got hit with a 20-ton **** wagon—a surreal stream of unfortunate events that compromised my health, my bank account, my stability, well-being and a lot of other stuff as well. To top it off, a lot of friends and family members started croaking unexpectedly. My Mom, who had waited her whole life to finally start living, got struck down by health problems and now spends her days swathed in her own feces and unaware of her own name.

Long story short: All of these things were a huge wake-up call for me. I now try to live my life with an urgency of doing what it is I want to do. In the past two years I have checked off nearly a dozen bucket list items, and I've got dozens more to do. I have found that you can find the means and motivation to do nearly anything if you make it a priority, and although it's probable that I may still end up dead and full of regrets, the amount of those regrets will be far less than what they would have otherwise, and I think my heart will be a lot lighter than it would have been had I not made it a point to do these things.

From a fatalistic point of view, it is quite possible that we are living in the last great period of human history. We can either go out wondering whether there was really any good content on our cell phones or TV, or we can make it a point to get out into the world as much as we possibly can and know that you died knowing what good rich Earth smells like, knowing that the taste of blood in the back of your throat when you're climbing a long, steep hill on your bike is merely a sign that you're getting stronger, and being able to smile as you have taken your last breath because you know just how wonderful it feels to see a smile from another human being or to feel the warmth of the sun on your face.

Life is short, dude. Seize the day.

I like this place

mtbr member
    Amen, brother. Live now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have been blessed to have taken plenty a mbike trip. The last one I did was 40 days, last late Oct until Dec. I rode Moab, Vernal, Grand J, St. George and Hurricaine. There is something singular, pure and satisfying about a road mbike trip. You, your car and bike. Living in the now, seeking out splendid singletrack. You are going against the grain. Most people won't get it, except your fellow mbikers.

When you are no longer able to mbike, the trips you took, the trails you rode will be forever ingrained.

Ha, I sound like some article or letter in BIKE magazine.

mtbr member
    At the risk of divulging way too much personal information and bumming people out, here's my two cents:

If you have the opportunity and the means to do the trip, by all means do the trip. As someone who has recently rediscovered the Road Trip during the past few years, I can say there really is no such thing as too much driving, as long as you take the time to talk to people along the way, see the sights and stop worrying about things. We plan one must-do activity each day in every spot we want to see, and that gives us enough free time to improvise on other stuff.

Now for the personal part. I spent more than half a lifetime putting off things so I could "do them later," or do them "when I had enough money," or when I "didn't have so many responsibilities," etc., etc. One day out of the blue, my life got hit with a 20-ton **** wagon—a surreal stream of unfortunate events that compromised my health, my bank account, my stability, well-being and a lot of other stuff as well. To top it off, a lot of friends and family members started croaking unexpectedly. My Mom, who had waited her whole life to finally start living, got struck down by health problems and now spends her days swathed in her own feces and unaware of her own name.

Long story short: All of these things were a huge wake-up call for me. I now try to live my life with an urgency of doing what it is I want to do. In the past two years I have checked off nearly a dozen bucket list items, and I've got dozens more to do. I have found that you can find the means and motivation to do nearly anything if you make it a priority, and although it's probable that I may still end up dead and full of regrets, the amount of those regrets will be far less than what they would have otherwise, and I think my heart will be a lot lighter than it would have been had I not made it a point to do these things.

From a fatalistic point of view, it is quite possible that we are living in the last great period of human history. We can either go out wondering whether there was really any good content on our cell phones or TV, or we can make it a point to get out into the world as much as we possibly can and know that you died knowing what good rich Earth smells like, knowing that the taste of blood in the back of your throat when you're climbing a long, steep hill on your bike is merely a sign that you're getting stronger, and being able to smile as you have taken your last breath because you know just how wonderful it feels to see a smile from another human being or to feel the warmth of the sun on your face.

Life is short, dude. Seize the day.
    "last great time in human history" theres some hyperbole for you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast