Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ugly As F*ck

Late October trip to northern New Mexico, worth it?

Hey neighbors to the west. I'm debating on whether I should take a 2 week road trip out to New Mexico or not at this time of year. I went to Angel Fire last year, but in July. I'd be coming from Houston. I'd hate to get all that way out there and run into crappy weather that will limit my mountain biking. Also I've never driven in snow and have a 2 wheel drive vehicle.

I wouldn't think there'd be much snow this time of year, but what do I know, I live in southeast Texas.

I know I'd want to hit Angel Fire again. Any suggestions on a good route or other places to ride if I do go? Last year I went north up toward Dallas and then across, I think this time I'd head straight west and go through El Paso. I want to stop in Roswell (yeah, I'm into the alien stuff). Also heard of a trail called Alien Run out near Farmington (again, the alien stuff lures me in). I'm thinking I want to head into southern Colorado also. You know, for the sweet mountain biking.. and ok maybe to buy some Mary J while I'm there.

mtbr member
    Albuquerque checks all the boxes.... what bike you bringing?

Ugly As F*ck
    I have a Trek Remedy 8. I figure I can ride anything from XC to DH on it.

mtbr member
    El Paso has a huge network of the rockiest, most technical trails in Texas. You should consider stopping for a ride on the way up to Abq/Santa Fe.

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by kinsler View Post
    El Paso has a huge network of the rockiest, most technical trails in Texas. You should consider stopping for a ride on the way up to Abq/Santa Fe.
    That's why I was wanting to head through there. Plus the route I took last year totally sucked ass.

Do you guys think I'll be alright heading to Angel Fire? I was thinking about going the last weekend they are open, which I believe is October 26th and 27th.

mtbr member
    Youll know as good as us... check the forcast.. i would defentetly have a back up plan.

Ugly As F*ck
    I'll keep my eyes on the weather. And I need to do some research on the trails out there, all I know is Angel Fire.

Anything in the Albuquerque area an intermediate rider should stay away from? Or not ride alone? I plan on doing all my rides alone. I'm slow, not very skilled and ugly, so people generally don't want to ride with me. And honestly, I prefer to be alone anyway.

mtbr member
    Yea lots of stuff.. white mesa is the best ride for you passing through abq. Classic scenery not very technical, easy to navigate. Pop back online when your in town for better directions. Or if change your mind theres always people willing to show you around

mtbr member
    +1 on White Mesa, especially solo. It's an amazing experience, more psychologically challenging than technically challenging. There are also two or three optional DH-y shots if you're feeling up for it.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    If the weather is good, Angel Fire during the last weekend could be spectacular. White Mesa is a classic as others have said and perfect in the fall.

You should definitely ride the Alien Run. It is a goofy good time that is fast and fun. Don't forget to stop at the top of the climb and read the little plaque about the UFO crash. The trail will be great that time of year, even if the weather turns cold-ish. The trail puts you a short ways away from Durango, and even if the high-country trails are snowed in, the trail network just outside of the downtown area is really fun. From there, you are spitting distance from Cortez, with it's classic trail, Phil's World—seriously something not to be missed.

Yep. There's lots of good riding this time of year around these parts. Have fun!

mtbr member
    good ole' white mesa

mtbr member
    Nice vid!

mtbr member
    Thanks the tank(bradley) is my faviort

Ugly As F*ck
    I watched several videos of White Mesa, looks incredible.

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutter Jim View Post
    If the weather is good, Angel Fire during the last weekend could be spectacular. White Mesa is a classic as others have said and perfect in the fall.

You should definitely ride the Alien Run. It is a goofy good time that is fast and fun. Don't forget to stop at the top of the climb and read the little plaque about the UFO crash. The trail will be great that time of year, even if the weather turns cold-ish. The trail puts you a short ways away from Durango, and even if the high-country trails are snowed in, the trail network just outside of the downtown area is really fun. From there, you are spitting distance from Cortez, with it's classic trail, Phil's World—seriously something not to be missed.

Yep. There's lots of good riding this time of year around these parts. Have fun!
    Can't believe I had never heard of Phil's World, I checked out some YouTube vids of that place, looks like a ton of fun. If I make it as far as Colorado that will be on the list for sure.

Only thing about Alien Run is it's pretty far out there. I'm bad at planning these sort of things so I don't know how far I'll be able to make it. Another city that interests me (for the creepy/alien factor) is Dulce, are there any trails near there or are the trails in Farmington going to be the closest?

And how is the climbing on some of these trails? Being from Houston I don't get much chance to work on climbing so I kinda suck at it, and my bike isn't really set up for it (1x10 with a chain guide).

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Don't waste your time in Dulce. There is nothing there but disappointment.

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by Shutter Jim View Post
    Don't waste your time in Dulce. There is nothing there but disappointment.
    Wait a sec... do you work for the government?

Ugly As F*ck
    I will be lost.

I just hope they don't turn me inside out with their laser thingies like they do with cows.

Ugly As F*ck
    So far my planned stops look something like this...

El Paso
    Roswell
    Albuquerque
    Santa Fe
    Farmington (area)
    Durango
    Cortez
    Angel Fire

That's if I decide to hit Angel Fire on the return trip, which I would probably want to do if I'm planning on going the last days they are open (October 26th and 27th). Roswell is kind of out of the way, but I still want to go. Are there any trails near Roswell? If not I'm at least stopping for a t shirt and a bumper sticker.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    Wait a sec... do you work for the government?
    Hah hah. As a matter of fact I do work for the government. My interests are similar to some of the ones you stated here, so I have found myself up in Dulce a couple of times—once to camp at the the site of Project Gasbuggy (underground nuclear test to try and release natural gas), and another time to see if I could find the entrance to the secret underground alien base in the hills outside of town. I can tell you from experience that that town was extremely sad, the people unfriendly, and the terrain uninspiring. I base my previous comment on those factors rather than a sweeping government conspiracy.

Nevertheless, have fun wherever you end up. New Mexico is a fine state!

mtbr member
    So far my planned stops look something like this...

El Paso
    Roswell
    Albuquerque
    Santa Fe
    Farmington (area)
    Durango
    Cortez
    Angel Fire

That's if I decide to hit Angel Fire on the return trip, which I would probably want to do if I'm planning on going the last days they are open (October 26th and 27th). Roswell is kind of out of the way, but I still want to go. Are there any trails near Roswell? If not I'm at least stopping for a t shirt and a bumper sticker.
    Damn that sounds like a fun little road trip. Be sure to say whats up when you make it through abq

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Roswell is kind of out of the way, but I still want to go. Are there any trails near Roswell? If not I'm at least stopping for a t shirt and a bumper sticker.
    In nearby Fort Stanton there are some pretty cool trails. They have used them the past couple of years for a 12-hour race. The course is fourteen miles. Most of it is single track. There are a couple of ugly climbs, but the downhill parts are fast and flowy. Here is a link to the strava page for the course.

Be sure to stop at Classics frozen custard while you are in Roswell. It's right on the main drag. Good stuff.

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank N. Byke View Post
    Well, you'd be unfriendly too if you had to cohabitate with Aliens. It probably reminds them of Mars. Which begs the question why we spent billions exploring such uninspiring terrain.
    I don't know about you, but I can imagine some pretty awesome singletrack on Mars!

I like this place

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank N. Byke View Post
    Well, you'd be unfriendly too if you had to cohabitate with Aliens. It probably reminds them of Mars. Which begs the question why we spent billions exploring such uninspiring terrain.
    Uninspiring?

Get out of here.

Biggest canyon in the solar system, as well as the biggest mountain, and it's made out of nice grippy rock all the way down. ~1/3 gravity too, for great big airs (aside from the lack of air).
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

Ugly As F*ck
    Redbull Rampage on Mars?

It could happen.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast