Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Las Cruces--Yea or Nay?

6K views 51 replies 11 participants last post by  LCdaveH 
#1 ·
I am visiting Las Cruces at the end of the month in consideration of moving there from Phoenix. What are the trails like? It looks like you guys are a great location to ride. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 ·
I read further on in the forum and a previous poster and ensuing responses answered my questions. I should have looked first. For the record, I live in Phoenix, which is DEVOID of culture, but has a thousand miles of singletrack. I'll take the singletrack culture over the "Phoenix Devoid" any day! :)

#8 ·
I moved from Phoenix to LC and loved it. Now I am up north a bit and love that too. I miss my riding spots in LC. The Dona Anas are ok, if you just like pretty smooth or looking for a workout. But there is so much more to be had there in the aggressive and gnarly category. Damn I miss those areas so much haha
There is some great riding down in EP as well and some extreme gnar and people who share the crazy draw toward it as well :thumbsup:
All depends on what you like. I can steer you towards that group if you like gnarly and crazy but super fun!

#10 ·
There is a lot of public land out here. And on this public land there are many roads. And many of these roads are outstanding jeep roads that double as double track. So you can add those to the miles of trail in the DAs, A-Mtn, Sierra Vista, Northern DAs, and the much neglected SST/Robledos. But then, I'm odd. I can only ride the same trail so many times week in and week out before I get bored. Thank gawd for the jeep roads!

My two scents.

#14 ·
Happy to hear of good trails in the LC, as I will be moving there this coming autumn. Got tired of living in the DC metro area and decided it give the SW a go. Going to be nice to get away from the humidity, but a bit strange to not have a canopy of leaves over my head... Anyhow, looking forward to getting there.

#15 ·
Ok, update to my previous post. I will be moving out there in a little over a month and have a quick question; what does everyone think of the local shops out there? Are there any that specialize in any particular areas? Any to avoid, or favor?

#18 ·
Yep, say goodbye to the canopy but you'll gain many other things. Year round riding, generally bug free, endless dirt (singletrack and rough two-track), great community of riders, and fantastic food. We've got it pretty good out here.

I'll second the Outdoor Adventures recommendation.

See ya soon.

#20 ·
I'm on the way. My house was packed up and shipped off yesterday, and I started the drive myself today. Staying in Knoxville tonight, and should probably be arriving in town on the seventh.

#23 ·
Hey all. Got in town on Tuesday and have been crazy busy since, getting things set up. Closed on the house Wednesday, received all my stuff on Thursday and have been swimming in a sea of boxes since. With that in mind, if anyone needs moving supplies, I'm your guy.

#26 ·
What do I think? I HATE boxes!! ;-)

I like what I've seen so far. It's nice to be away from all the stupidity that is the DC metro area. I just need to get the place settled so I can get out and enjoy things.

#27 ·
Quick question for you guys: is there a way into the Doña Ana trail system without going down Desert Wind Way? I went out there on Friday and was almost scraping the underside of my car doing down the dirt road leading to the trail head. Any other options?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.