mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Just getting back into it...Hardtail or FS in Alb area?

I've been away from biking for a few years and decided to get back into it . When it came to purchasing a new ride, I didn't do too much research, and thought that I'd just stick to a hardtail, as that's what I've always ridden, with the requirement that it be much lighter than my previous ride (35lbs), or at least feel quick and nimble.

My plan was riding to work a few days a week, and riding north foothills on the weekend with my wife and brother (both beginners), and hopefully trying some other trails in Tijeras, Santa Fe etc.

My budget going in was around $1000, but I ended up really liking the Trek Superfly Carbon hardtail 2013 which I purchased for $1700.

But now, I've been scouring these forums and looking at all the trails around here, and getting all pumped, and I'm wondering if I made a bad decision not getting a full suspension ride. I am still able to exchange the Superfly for store credit, and noticed that the Fuel Ex7 and Superfly 100 AL Elite are not that much more expensive at this point.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Genius
    That is a nice bike. Congrats on returning to the sport. IMHO unless your looking to hit some serious chunk, or are looking to huck more than 3 feet, or plan on not using brakes much and flying downhill, your choice of bike is fine and is better than most you'll see out on the trail. Plus once you're in riding shape, you will be passing most full suspension riders on the climbs.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    I was gonna say buy an in expensive steel hardtail and wait and see. Then i read your post.

I say do the exchange get your full squish. The spend 300or so bucks on a single speed steel hard tail.

mtbr member
    I ride a hardtail, but I recommend to almost everyone that they should buy a full suspension rig. Unless you're racing crosss country (and even then), there's not much disadvantage to modern full suspension, aside from that at any given price point, one is going to get better components with a hardtail, and the hardtail will be a 3 or 4 pounds lighter.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I ride both, but my hardtail gets the most miles. For me the hardtail keeps the easier stuff fun and more challenging. (Foothills, White Mesa) The FS I save mostly for bigger hit stuff, or going to new places where I don't know what to expect, but I still try to ride it at least once a week.
    I would say ride your hardtail until you get to the point that you feel the riding you are doing exceeds the limitations of your bike. Based on what you plan to ride I think it will be fine. Plus there are those who will tell you that starting on a hardtail will teach you to be a better rider.
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning." 2drsrbtrrthn4

mtbr member
    Actually, that's a pretty good deal on the bike that you bought. One thing you might consider, since that bike has a pretty good parts selection, is to ride it, and if after a season you think that you need a full suspension, sell just the frame and buy a short travel dually to replace it with.

You might only be out a few hundred more, and have a better equipped bike in the end.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by marmick View Post
    I am still able to exchange the Superfly for store credit, and noticed that the Fuel Ex7 and Superfly 100 AL Elite are not that much more expensive at this point.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Take the credit and do a demo couple of days on the different models.
    The 2013 is the old model, the 2014 9.6-9.6 Superfly bikes are a model coming out of the Apollo Project use of road bike carbon frame compliance engineering with shorter chainstays(435) and some added bb drop. So a light very stiff frame vs a light very compliant and quicker one. More fun and comfortable with great trail feel.
    Have them figure in the Trek Fest discount and you will pay a little more for a 9.6, but it is a long term bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks so much for all the advice everyone. I ended up trading to the Cannondale Scapel 4 29er. I rode it quite a bit and really like it. It feels a tad bit heavier than the Superfly, but it still feels great and I feel nice and confident riding it. I'm looking forward to taking it down some more technical trails in the East Mountains.

I didn't realize that NM had such an organized community of mountain bikers, so I'm really glad to have stumbled upon this group.

Hopefully after I get a little more in shape I can meet up with some of you for some rides, and help with some trail building.

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by marmick View Post
    Thanks so much for all the advice everyone. I ended up trading to the Cannondale Scapel 4 29er. I rode it quite a bit and really like it. It feels a tad bit heavier than the Superfly, but it still feels great and I feel nice and confident riding it. I'm looking forward to taking it down some more technical trails in the East Mountains.

I didn't realize that NM had such an organized community of mountain bikers, so I'm really glad to have stumbled upon this group.

Hopefully after I get a little more in shape I can meet up with some of you for some rides, and help with some trail building.

Thanks again!

We pride ourselves on our organizational skills

Next trail day is Sunday April 13th at the mars ct trail head. We will be working on a full suspension friendly trail

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    We pride ourselves on our organizational skills

Next trail day is Sunday April 13th at the mars ct trail head. We will be working on a full suspension friendly trail
    Haha awesome.

Where is the marts ct trail head?