mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Just arrived in Santa Fe, looking to do some endurance riding

I know this is a lame post, we just got into Santa Fe this evening and this forum is the first one I jumped to for information on riding in the area.

I'd like to get three or four or five hours in tomorrow, endurance style XC trail, it needs to be reasonably easy to follow as I don't have the time to get lost by myself. We have been traveling for the last three days and I will lose my mind if I don't get on my bike asap. I'd appreciate any recommendations.

If anyone is thinking of riding tomorrow and want company, please drop me a line. I'm a decent rider and in decent enough shape. I'm trg for BCBR and 24hr Worlds solo this summer. If there is a local group going out, that I could join, that would be fantastic.

Thanks,

Shaun

mtbr member
    Don't know where you are heading, but the South Boundary trail between Angel Fire and Taos is some of the finest XC riding anywhere. You will need a shuttle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the reply.

We might stay in Santa Fe until late afternoon Monday or Tuesday, then we are leaving from here and heading to Taos.

mtbr member
    Well, if you are going to be in the area, you should definitely do South Boundary. In Santa Fe, the Winsor Creek trail is a fine experience and there are numerous trails that connect to it to make an longer ride. However, to avoid getting lost, unless you have a map or someone familiar with the area, Winsor from top to bottom is probably your best bet. Again, you will need a shuttle. Or, you can go up and return down if you want a real good workout (7000 to 10000 feet elevation gain).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I could use the workout, and I enjoy climbing. Is the climb from bottom to top climbable (or is it more hike a bike pushing oriented) and also will I irritate other riders by riding up into the downhill flow?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    The windsor is probably the easiest place to get a good, long workout. From the Windsor you can connect to the dirt svc road that goes up to the radio towers above the ski area. It's a 4-5000' climb, depending on where you start. Check out the NM Endurance Series (NMES) site. The Windsor climb is part of event #3, Santa Fe Big Friggin Loop. Too bad you won't be around for the SFBL. Doesn't sound like you're too interested in South Boundary but it's part of the Double Boundary NMES event. Personally, the only time I shuttle Windsor is when I ride it with my 15 year old son. Otherwise, I like to earn my descent, Windsor is pretty easy follow and the lower sections are well traveled by hikers and bikers. Sorry I can't ride with you today - Taking my son to Pajarito (Los Alamos) ski area where they're running the lifts for DH/FR riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for the reply. Winsor or Windsor (seen it spelled both ways) looks like a fine recommendation.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You have GPS?
    Its the internet...we all sleep with supermodels.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos
    You have GPS?
    No I don't.

I'm sketching out a rough directional map for Winsor on the back of a Comfort Inn notepad right now. Low-tech GPS. ;-)

mtbr member
    You might try the Dale Ball trails. They basically start in town and are very well marked with a map at each trail fork showing where you are. Not being from SF myself, I can't tell ya how many miles are in 'em, but I think that you somewhere along 20-30 miles in a large loop.

There's a link to info on the Dale Ball trails and you can find a huge PDF map on that site.Dale Ball
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm heading out the door right now for Winsor, riding from the hotel I'm going to stop by 'Rob and Charlie's" bike shop and have a quick chat to be sure I'm going the right way, they open at noon (I hope).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Good ride today.

Starting from the Comfort Inn on Cerillos I rode up Cerillos to Hyde Park Rd, then on up to the Chamisa trailhead, that took an hour of steady climbing to get there. There were two trailheads in that parking lot I took the trailhead that had a steep entry point, not sure if they are different trail systems. Chamisa was a steady climb up to the obvious saddle then rather than dropping down and heading up to hook up with Winsor I took a less traveled route that was described to me as a technical singletrack called 'Serpentine?' which was a great trail that kicks you out on to Hyde Park Rd again. I rode back up the road till I got to Dale Ball trails and took the North trails, after banging around in that area it was time to head back to the highway again. 10secs before the end of the trail I clipped an evergreen sapling with my Ergon bar ends going a bit too fast and got thrown off the bike. Smashed my ankle and got an immediate triple sized goose egg and as a bonus my saddle was torn off the rails.

I stopped by Santa Fe Mountain Sports to try and get the saddle back on the rails, they were super helpful but I had no luck getting the saddle on the rails. While there one of the young guys scored me an ice bag and tensor bandage to take the swelling down, thanks for that.

Riding back down Cerillos on Ti rails was a drag. Hopefully my ankle cooperates for tomorrow as I'd like to see more of the trail system, of course a new saddle is required as well.