Thread: Jemez?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Jemez?

Are there any good bike trails in Jemez? I'm not talking Parajito either, although technically its not really Jemez. But are there any good trails out in the Jemez mountains? I've only really seen hiking trails.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I am curious what is good to go out there now after the fire as well.

I hven't seen any no bike signs on battleship rock trail, and think I saw some people riding down it but they werent hardcore and looked kinda clueless.

mtbr member
    Most the hiking trails bikes are allowed on. I have one ridden out there once for a short ride .. Its an out and back that revolves around some hot springs. There is a techy section to climb on the way back but its just chill and fun on the way down. For the most part the trail is smooth ant flowy

Ill post a map when i get a second.

Not a "hard core" ride but if you got a significant other with mpdest riding ability the trip to the secluded hot sprigs is well worth it

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by warimono View Post
    I am curious what is good to go out there now after the fire as well.

I hven't seen any no bike signs on battleship rock trail, and think I saw some people riding down it but they werent hardcore and looked kinda clueless.
    I rode Battleship last summer. It was in bad shape, lots of erosion and probably 10 to 15 big trees down across the trail.

mtbr member
    I camped at Jemez Falls (Redondo campground was completely closed) last weekend. Most of the trail was closed with yellow tape. The stream/river and the trail that runs along it is complete toast and I think that's why everything was closed, due to the flash-flood risks.
    The Bonita entrance to Valle Caldera was open on the weekend. Mostly two-track and costs $10.
    The Dude abides.

mtbr member
    Doing the twilight Valles ride last summer was quite breathetaking and highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Check with Tom Mayer. He knows a lot about the Jemez - Abundant Adventures Trail Guides

mtbr member
    I might be the only one that didnt know but this is the same trail. 137 (east fork trail) goes from battle ship rock to Los Conchas picnik area.

The section i did is from jemez falls trailhead to McCauly Hot springs and then back. But if you wanted the whole trail is 20 miles out and back and that would be a decent ride... Lots of stuff out there from what ive heard

Quote Originally Posted by rpinata View Post
    I camped at Jemez Falls (Redondo campground was completely closed) last weekend. Most of the trail was closed with yellow tape. The stream/river and the trail that runs along it is complete toast and I think that's why everything was closed, due to the flash-flood risks.
    The Bonita entrance to Valle Caldera was open on the weekend. Mostly two-track and costs $10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    I rode Battleship last summer. It was in bad shape, lots of erosion and probably 10 to 15 big trees down across the trail.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElektricEye View Post
    Are there any good bike trails in Jemez? I'm not talking Parajito either, although technically its not really Jemez. But are there any good trails out in the Jemez mountains? I've only really seen hiking trails.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    Most the hiking trails bikes are allowed on. I have one ridden out there once for a short ride .. Its an out and back that revolves around some hot springs. There is a techy section to climb on the way back but its just chill and fun on the way down. For the most part the trail is smooth ant flowy

Ill post a map when i get a second.

Not a "hard core" ride but if you got a significant other with mpdest riding ability the trip to the secluded hot sprigs is well worth it

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Near La Cueva are forest roads 604 and 607. Near these two roads are miles of truly awesome singletrack. Tom Mayer's guide is the only one I know of for that area.

Also check out "Mountain Bike Guide to the Jemez Mountains" by Brant Hayenga and Chris Shaw. It's fairly old but the rides are still there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    There are quite a few in the area, but a lot of them are hard to find and/or consist mostly of cow trails strung together.

My personal favorite ride there starts at the Las Conchas area (near the climbing wall). Although you almost never see bikes on this trail, they ARE allowed. You'll wind along the stream for a ways, do a steep hill climb, and then have some awesome flowy downhill until you arrive at a campground.

If you're up for more, you can cross the road and continue--which will take you to the Jemez Falls campground, then the (McCauley? sp?) hot springs, and finally battleship rock. At that point you'll probably want a shuttle back, though.
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rpinata View Post
    east fork trail still cosed due to flas flood danger. I went camping at redondo, the sign said it wasnt maintained but you could still camp there. just park on the side of the road.

Genius
    The wife was up there last week and every trail she went to was closed...
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12