mtbr member

Improvements to FR 76 for access to SBT

Forwarding this on to y'all:

Hello local trails enthusiasts,

I wanted to mention that a few of us here within the Carson National Forest Recreation program have been informally lobbying to get some improvements done to Forest Road 76 which accesses the eastern end of the South Boundary Trail #164 and Trail #70 (to Osha Pass) from Angel Fire. Youíre probably aware that that road features some segments that are really rough, to put it kindly. We wanted to see if anyone out there might be willing to share some comments regarding the importance/necessity of these improvements. With budget limitations in mind, there are no promises that this work will be pursued. But, should the Forest leadership decide to prioritize this roadwork, there may even be the possibility of the construction of a proper trailhead (with ample parking) for the SBT #164, someday.

If you have some thoughts on this, please email Amy Simms at: asimms@fs.fed.us

Or, if you prefer: US Forest Service, Camino Real RD ATTENTION: Amy Simms PO Box 68, Penasco, NM 87553

Thanks very much, and please feel free to forward.

Craig D. Saum
    Trails, Wilderness and Recreation
    Carson National Forest
    Supervisorís Office
    575-758-6284
    csaum@fs.fed.us

solum potestis prohibere ignes silvarum
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

High Alpine Adventure
    Not that it does need to be done, but I never understood this shuttle.

I mean you can start at Valle Escondido and ride the road up to the top of the Elliott Barker and then climb up towards Osho and you are less that a mile from where that shuttle starts you. The plus is you get 6-8 miles of nice forest road climbing in as a warm up! And the shuttle at Valle Escondido is WAY shorter. If you have a mechanical or need to bail, the road off from Garcia Park is right there!

I guess if I were to be lobbying for something it might be for a better trailhead at the base of the Elliott Barker with a permenant crapper. Better use of money if you ask me!
    Last edited by DaGoat; 11-16-2012 at 08:07 AM.
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

mtbr member
    May 2010

Map

I'm not as familiar with this area as I'd like to be. Is there a map available that shows the roads and trails in question? Thanks!

...or maybe someone can explain it in terms of what I do know. I was up there in September. We turned off the highway at the "chuckwagon" campground. Some of the party went up toward Garcia Park. The rest continued on the road, up some switchbacks and took "trail 70" up to Osho pass, Elliot Barker, Garcia Park, etc.

Thanks for the help, and thanks to the forest service for caring enough to want to improve things for us.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Rod, the FR76 access is the "traditional" way to ride SBT, and since it's a more straightforward route and one often found in writeups, it still gets traffic despite being nearly an extra 30 minutes of shuttle time each direction (and that's if you ride up FR76 instead of driving up). To get there, you have to drive all the way to Angel Fire and then another ~8 miles south from there. Beyond it being a more straightforward route, it also has the advantage of starting higher (esp. if you shuttle up FR76!), which can be important for out-of-towners and old, outta shape guys like me. But I'll continue to use the route you did, as it saves a huge amount of drive time.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by rodmccrady View Post
    I'm not as familiar with this area as I'd like to be. Is there a map available that shows the roads and trails in question? Thanks!

...or maybe someone can explain it in terms of what I do know. I was up there in September. We turned off the highway at the "chuckwagon" campground. Some of the party went up toward Garcia Park. The rest continued on the road, up some switchbacks and took "trail 70" up to Osho pass, Elliot Barker, Garcia Park, etc.

Thanks for the help, and thanks to the forest service for caring enough to want to improve things for us.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I think starting at the golf course is the way to go. I haven't done the traditional shuttle but it looks like a pain, too much driving. The added mileage from the course makes the ride more worth it.