Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    banned
    Jan 2013

If Sandia had an AWESOME Bike Park, would you pay?

According to Kerry, FS is taking over where the Abruzzos have failed. From what I understand, North and South bootleg are on the table for adoption. Of course this can be cumbersome for "participants" that number in the teens, as it requires shuttling.

Sandia Resort is a great landscape for mountain biking. It's got a near perfect slope, great terrain and access to resources and equipment.

So, what's it worth?

mtbr member
    I'd be down for paying 25-45 for a days ride ride. I've spent a few days on the current SP trails and always have a good time. If they stepped up their game on the downhill stuff, it would be awesome.
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

Airborne Flight Crew
    I'd be in. Hell yeah.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

I <3 NM
    I don't see how it couldn't be a money maker (unless it was horribly mismanaged).

Having a well designed place to ride in the summer heat (with temps in the 60/70's) right next to a metro area with nearly 1M folks can help but be a success.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    I think you may be onto something regarding business from other states. Utah is full of bike parks, but like this year, they will probably be unrideable until late june, early july. I have a few friends back there who would be all over early spring break trip to NM if there was a park that's open. Don't forget Texas as well. There are a lot of active bikers there who have never seen a lift access trail or park and I (believe) would make a days drive to get a taste of the good stuff.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Just4Pix View Post
    Logistically speaking it's perfect. Angel Fire gets lots of visitors from AZ and this would cut their trip by about a 1/3. If you include local New Mexicans southern Utah you've got a pretty good base.

The only problems that I see are that the lifts are pretty slow and they are well behind the curve when it comes to having incorporated such trails. However, I'm pretty sure that they are due for an upgrade on their lift, and finding skilled builders shouldn't be too much of an issue. When you add that you could potentially have access via the Tram, boy does that open up a lot of doors.

They have to be suffering from lack of revenue because of Climate Change (prolly not getting any better), and this would be a perfect opportunity for them. Would be a great opportunity for bikers, too, if when FS shuts down the forest due to lack of moisture.

Yeah, I was thinking in the realm of $20-$25 for a days pass and you can tack on another $10-$12 if you access by way of the Tram.

Edit: Tony, Vince, and Boice have all tried over the years to get this off the ground and they have made some headway, but it's gonna take everyone getting involved. I put in a phone call to Benny Abruzzo @ 856-6419 to let him know we're interested. Perhaps he'd like to hear your comments. I will update once I find an email for him.

I <3 NM
    We've got an International Airport fer christ sakes!
    and cheap hotels

and great beer

mtbr member
    Ha ha. Have to mention most are cheap and would pile into a van for the trip

We've got an International Airport fer christ sakes!

mtbr member
    Due to the lack of snow, do you think sandia will open earlier this year? I'd like to get up there before I move in june.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    We all know that the numbers that would go to a quality bike park is going up and up. BUT, look at the low turnout at Pajarito this last year. Some of the times we were up there last summer it was pretty dead. I was very surprised. Angel Fire draws a lot of people but look at what they have to offer. That would take a huge money commitment to even come close at Sandia. And Paja and Angel Fire are on private land I think. Will the FS even allow a actual bike park be built or just some down hill trails. Lots of questions to answer. If something were to get going perhaps a private shuttle service kind of like Gnar Tours at South Mtn in Phx could work out well. Especially trails north of the road. Looking forward to those trails being adopted.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

mtbr member
    Well, a bunch of Knomers (knolly riders) bought plane tickets for a "gathering" in AZ a little over a month ago.

I was thinking more along the lines of top level races and events.
    Three to be exact
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Just for a gathering? Impressive!
    Not really that impressive considering origin. AZ is a nice getaway from the cold/wet climes of the NW and SE.

-cabra cadabra

I <3 NM
    Plus, summer riding opportunites abound in/around ABQ with something for everyone.

mtbr member
    To the original question, yes. My kid picked up an old Turner DHR and would buy a season pass if selling a kidney was the only option to fund it. If he could take the tram up, he'd quit school and spend every day there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandia Peak Tramway
    Bikes and pets are NOT PERMITTED on the tramway
    And the reasoning:

Quote Originally Posted by Sandia Peak Tramway
    Space considerations, the heightened possibility that dirt or grease will get on another passenger or will be injured by knocking against the bike.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Pretty silly idn't it? Damn dirty mountain bikers.

I wonder how they get away with it in Whistler?

BTW, the Abruzzos are now heavily invested in Helidrop skiing in Canada, eh!
    You use the chairlift in Whistler.

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Telluride has a Gondola that takes you up to Mountain Village. Apparently they keep occupants from getting hurt by mounting bikes by mounting racks to the outside of the cabin.

Telluride Gondola & Attractions | Visit Telluride Colorado

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    the Googles say:

If Sandia had an AWESOME Bike Park, would you pay?-jef_058252.jpg

Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » A Short, Wet Trip Up Whistler Mountain
    Attached Images Attached Images

-cabra cadabra

Heckler db
    May 2008
    Yup I would pay but it will never happen.The abruzzos have been told over and over and over again but just don't seem to care. Every biker that has been on the mountain for the last ten years has said the same damn thing!

I <3 NM
    Times change and money talks.

Perhaps now is the time to make some traction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I used to take the lift up and ride down but I got better and ride kom up. I would spend more time and money up there if they had more fun trails for sure.

Genius
    Logistically speaking it's perfect.
    Yeah, I was thinking in the realm of $20-$25 for a days pass and you can tack on another $10-$12 if you access by way of the Tram.
    This^^.

It's all about convenience. I'd pay 35-40 bucks for a days worth of riding via the Tram. I have always thought its such a waste to have to drive all the way around just to get there when already have access right here on this side. That driving time would be of better use to me riding.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

Genius
    No doubt access to the lifts on both sides would open to door for many new riding possibilities. We have a near 11,000' Mountain in our backyard but the only way we can ride to the top is to pack the bikes in a automobile and drive around the freaking thing to access a trail head. Talk about an UN-needed connector.

While we are dreaming big. We should annex La Luz too.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

Single Speed Junkie
    According to Kerry, FS is taking over where the Abruzzos have failed. From what I understand, North and South bootleg are on the table for adoption. Of course this can be cumbersome for "participants" that number in the teens, as it requires shuttling.

Sandia Resort is a great landscape for mountain biking. It's got a near perfect slope, great terrain and access to resources and equipment.

So, what's it worth?
    Value and return on investment for a bike park in the Sandias would depend upon the level and variety of trails. Ideally a bike park would have wide variety from beginner to more advanced trails. The mountain has the topology supporting pretty much what ever feature a biker would want. With annual blow down there is a large supply of natural building material available at the right cost. With existing lifts infrastructure is already in place and if you get hungry there is food available right at the top. For over all investment it would be rather minor.

Albuquerque has a large population of cyclist bringing in local and steady revenue stream. With the large city infrastructure hotels & restaurants the area is prime supporting close by outdoor activities for tourist regardless if they fly or drive in.

From a business case perspective Albuquerque and the Sandias are well positioned to support mountain bike endeavors for the majority of the year.

What is it worth? Financially it would be an asset for the local community and mountains with minimal impact building sustainable trails. For local cyclists it would be an asset having premium trails with lift access right in the cities backyard. Overall I would say it is a win / win proposition.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would be there even if it started out as semi-awesome. It has everything to make it successful.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    You use the chairlift in Whistler.

They use a gondola at whistler also.

Moo!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast