Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

If Roswell Had a Decent Singletrack, Would Anyone Come?

Greetings,
    Roswell hasn't had a lot to offer for mountain bikes. Living here, I have gotten to know the Haystack OHV area fairly well over the winter, but it's pretty rough for mountain bikes. The little 3 mile mountain bike trail in Bottomless Lakes State Park really just hurts my wrists with so much constant steering. Fort Stanton has a lot of trails, but they're multi-use and really made without regard to mountain bikes, just horses.

If Roswell had a decently designed mountain bike trail system, either integrated into Fort Stanton, or elsewhere closer to Roswell, would you come and ride it?

Desert RAT
    Yes, we need to get a mountain bike club together in this area. I live in artesia we should get together. Do you know about the trails in carlsbad, they are pretty gnarly. WE hit em up every sunday at noon. Maybe we can meet up and work something out for those haystack trails.

mtbr member

Re: If Roswell Had a Decent Singletrack, Would Anyone Come?

Are these trails hard to find? How technical can they get? I live down in El paso, I wouldnt mind planning a little weekend getaway to head up there for some trails.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

I <3 NM

If Roswell Had a Decent Singletrack, Would Anyone Come?

The last time I was in that part of NM, I was 2150' below the surface riding an oversized golf cart.
    Last edited by MTBNate; 02-07-2013 at 09:01 AM.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member

Re: If Roswell Had a Decent Singletrack, Would Anyone Come?

Down in the intrepid mines?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Hernandezsrt; 02-06-2013 at 07:08 PM.

MIA
    Feb 2005
    Not until the bike baggage fees on flying saucers drop significantly!

Quote Originally Posted by JerBear007 View Post
    Greetings,
    Roswell hasn't had a lot to offer for mountain bikes. Living here, I have gotten to know the Haystack OHV area fairly well over the winter, but it's pretty rough for mountain bikes. The little 3 mile mountain bike trail in Bottomless Lakes State Park really just hurts my wrists with so much constant steering. Fort Stanton has a lot of trails, but they're multi-use and really made without regard to mountain bikes, just horses.

If Roswell had a decently designed mountain bike trail system, either integrated into Fort Stanton, or elsewhere closer to Roswell, would you come and ride it?

Desert RAT
    The carlsbad trails are on standpipe Rd, it's on the south end of carlsbad. They are kinda hard to find if you don't know where to go. The trail head is not very obvious. PM me for some directions or maybe I could meet ya down there. I ride every sunday at noon. Sorry I don't wanna hijack this thread. I have not ridden the roswell trails in like 8 years. I just remember them being very sandy.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hernandezsrt View Post
    Down in the intrepid mines?
    close - but not quite.

mtbr member
    Several studies have shown that bike trails and other adventure recreation amenities do add to the economic vitality of communities that create them. I have ridden the trails in Fort Stanton and enjoyed them very much. It seems like with the terrain you have in the area, you could build some fantastic trails—assuming there is land available to do so. Roswell has folklore and an already active tourist industry. Add the possibility of biking to the UFO mystique (particularly if there could be trails in the vicinity of the 1952 crash area), and you might have a right-nice destination there. Or at the very least, some really kick-ass trails for the locals.

Greetings,

"You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I think adding trails has worked out for Gallup. They have the advantage of all those travelers on I-40. There have been times I've stayed in Gallup going to or from somewhere else in order to ride, in addition to trips out there just for the riding.

Genius
    No. Even if you had a 20 mile trail in Roswell they would not come. Sitting here in Albuquerque when I am looking to drive 3+hours to ride I always think about my choices going north, NE or NW, you know , where the mountains are. I have never once though of going southeast. Occasionally I think of El Paso, las Cruces Socorro and the Gila but not once have I though about going to ride in roswell/artesia. It's flat. Think about it.

This brings me to mind.... occasionally I pop into the Florida forum or Michigan or whatever and think. How do these guys think they are mountain bikers if they never ride in the mountains?
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbnate View Post
    close - but not quite.
    wipp!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_B View Post
    Yes, we need to get a mountain bike club together in this area. I live in artesia we should get together. Do you know about the trails in carlsbad, they are pretty gnarly. WE hit em up every sunday at noon. Maybe we can meet up and work something out for those haystack trails.
    I rode the La Cueva trails in Carlsbad when I first moved there in '09. I liked parts. But when one trail ended with me walking my bike up an eroded drainage and another trail dissipating into cattle, I got a little frustrated and never went back. I never really rode the whole set and tend to think I probably missed out.

I'd be happy to show you around Haystack and have been thinking about taking another shot at La Cueva sometime.

RE: a club, I'm getting a job transfer in a few months, but I do have some work buddies that would probably be interested.

I <3 NM
    wipp!
    it...

wipp it good!

Desert RAT
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    No. Even if you had a 20 mile trail in Roswell they would not come. Sitting here in Albuquerque when I am looking to drive 3+hours to ride I always think about my choices going north, NE or NW, you know , where the mountains are. I have never once though of going southeast. Occasionally I think of El Paso, las Cruces Socorro and the Gila but not once have I though about going to ride in roswell/artesia. It's flat. Think about it.

This brings me to mind.... occasionally I pop into the Florida forum or Michigan or whatever and think. How do these guys think they are mountain bikers if they never ride in the mountains?
    This guy thinks he's a real badass. Just because he can't hack riding in the desert, he won't even give it a try. I guess since I live in the desert and all my local trails are desert trails, I am not a mountain biker. I guess I need to relabel myself a desert biker.
    Last edited by Joshua_B; 02-08-2013 at 01:59 PM.

Desert RAT
    I rode the La Cueva trails in Carlsbad when I first moved there in '09. I liked parts. But when one trail ended with me walking my bike up an eroded drainage and another trail dissipating into cattle, I got a little frustrated and never went back. I never really rode the whole set and tend to think I probably missed out.

I'd be happy to show you around Haystack and have been thinking about taking another shot at La Cueva sometime.

RE: a club, I'm getting a job transfer in a few months, but I do have some work buddies that would probably be interested.
    Great, yea I would love to hit haystack sometime soon. Yea I know what trail you are talking about in carlsbad, but we have marked it a bit better now, there are other loops out there that are better.

Genius
    What up JoshB?

You gonna play tough guy Neg. rep me and insert "Damn who the **** do you think you are. I hope crash on your next ride!" in the comment.

You asked the question. I answered. If you cant handle the answer when its is not what you want to hear then don't ask. I know the Roswell/Artesia/Lovington very well. I have spent a lot of work related time there over the last 15 years so I know. I have family/friends in Vaughn, Encino, Duran and yes Roswell. I own ranch land in the area and hunt there regularly. Its where my parents and grandparents grew up. And guess what, I never take any of my bikes when I go cuz there is nothing to ride. Like it or not, its just not a mountain biking destination.

Grow up.
    Last edited by 6bobby9; 02-08-2013 at 01:46 PM.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

Desert RAT
    Yes, you answered, but in an elitist manner. I don't know why you think just because you live in abq, that somehow that makes you a TRUE mountain biker. Then you poke fun of people who ride and live in Michigan an Florida. Mountain biking is fun, and the people who ride are the nicest and the most fun people to be around, you sir are not one of them and are a disgrace to mountain bikers everywhere.

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua_B View Post
    Yes, you answered, but in an elitist manner. I don't know why you think just because you live in abq, that somehow that makes you a TRUE mountain biker. Then you poke fun of people who ride and live in Michigan an Florida. Mountain biking is fun, and the people who ride are the nicest and the most fun people to be around, you sir are not one of them and are a disgrace to mountain bikers everywhere.
    Yes Josh. I am better than you.... and I am your father. You are the son of an elitist mountain biker that giggles when he see's 6" FS AM setups in the flat lands and its something you will just have to live with.

As I have claimed you as my son, I must tell you I hope you grow a little bit tougher skin. It will really help the next time you crash on that 0.001% downhill grade.

Bsafe! Ride On! Ride Hard!
    Last edited by 6bobby9; 02-08-2013 at 03:01 PM.

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by Just4Pix View Post
    Agree, bobby is pretty abrasive. It's no wonder that he rides alone. FWIW, he mostly rides the foothills of mountains. I guess as long as you can at least see the mountains, you're considered a mountain biker.
    Actually, I havent been in the footies but once last few months. Too many people, and its not a lot of fun with someone having removed all the rocks last fall. 10 years ago there were nice tech sections but alas. They are all gone. These days you'll find me everywhere and no where.

I usually take my bike with me to work and go ride afterwards at the nearest trail. I will be in Cuba next week where I plan to hit the northern Jemez. I have permission from the tribe. I am kinda scared tho cuz they have mountains and not footies. I can only pray my skill set is up to par.

Desert RAT
    The sun's in the sky, the fish are in the sea, you call me daddy ,when you are talking to me!

Genius
    I hope your a better rider than a poet cuz that was pretty bad. I think I will put you up for adoption.

Genius
    True. The A line is ok and not many go up there if that's what you mean and I dont go off trail up there (it sets a bad example . Honestly, I am just pissed that no one ever saw the guy doing the damage down below so I am just kinda worn out on the whole foothills thing for a while.
    Last edited by 6bobby9; 02-08-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Genius
    When put into proper context it's quite "genius," actually.
    Not quite "Genius". I was thinking more of the opposite of that.

Genius
    Those trails have been there for well over a decade.

Yeah, you'd prolly find yourself drifting "off-trail" quite a bit up there, but not on purpose.
    No worries. It's cool. I consider them to be part of the trail system whether they are or not. Also, take care of those Bandos this winter and make sure they all get healed up (bikes included) and ready for the spring.

bsafe B.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast