Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

I forgot how much I love Tunnel/Otero canyon

A buddy of mine and I did a nice loop starting at Tunnel canyon and looping around back down Otero and then back up through Tunnel. It had been awhile since I've ridden over there (years), but it may make weekly ride status again. What a wonderful trail that is....and a perfect day to be out there.

banned
    +1, I had not done Tunnel for a few months before Saturday and it is truly a grand descent.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Agreed on the descent. Otero is nice coming down but Tunnel just keeps going and going.

I have a question for anyone who knows those trails up there. After riding past the DOE signs for a bit (North I believe) you come to the left turn that takes you over to Otero, or if you can go straight on a fairly rough but very apparent trail. Where does that trail take you? We rode it for a bit but my buddy was struggling a bit on a borrowed bike so we chose to come back and cross over to Otero.

banned
    There is quite a network beyond the signage? What signage ?. I have noticed that the trail is very 'apparent' as well. It is hard to explain, but eventually you get to an overlook with an old fire tower. If you make it up here look SE from the tower and there is a faint trail. Great little techy descent with a 3' drop. Once you reach the next intersection take a left and head back towards Otero. It is a great lollipop loop with about 3.5 grand of climbing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I remember that old fire tower, it used to be a fav lunch time spot on solo rides back in the '90s. For some reason I recall hitting a short service road to get over to that trail network back then. Sounds like it's all trails now....very cool. If the weather holds up I may have to check it out next weekend.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TBarnaby
    ... What a wonderful trail that is....
    A late day trip from Tunnel to Otero (with naughty side trips along the way) was my first ride in over a week, and my first time out there in ages. It just doesn't get any more serene than that setting, especially in the evening. How do I manage to stay away so long? That's going to be my first choice from now until the snow flies.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    (with naughty side trips along the way)

When ever you need some company for one of your more 'casual' rides, be sure to send me the message. Glad you finally got to see some of the work that has been done out there Garson. I'm sure that I could show you some more.

RCC
    Bandolero
    tunnel rocks!
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    With all the great riding in N.M., David-Otero-Tunnel are my #1. Pluss the fact that they are in my back yard dont hurt. The run down the west ridge of Otero then down tunnel is a blast. I think there were more people out here Sun than I have ever seen.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    ... Glad you finally got to see some of the work that has been done out there ...
    My naughtiness stems from simply following some sweet trail, only to find myself looking at the backs of some metal signs after a few miles. Amazing, given the prevalence of bike tracks, although I did see some fresh big-wheel tracks, too.

I'm game for some company and seeing where you've been probing. Late afternoon fri?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson
    My naughtiness stems from simply following some sweet trail, only to find myself looking at the backs of some metal signs after a few miles. Amazing, given the prevalence of bike tracks, although I did see some fresh big-wheel tracks, too.

I'm game for some company and seeing where you've been probing. Late afternoon fri?
    sounds good! I have actually encountered the fella that has been riding up and down Otero on his moto. His reply was "your out-of-bounds too". Supra can vouch that we really didn't have an argument, 'cause essentially he was correct. Although, we noticed his tracks later on the lower part of Otero and thats definitely a no-no!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52
    With all the great riding in N.M., David-Otero-Tunnel are my #1. Pluss the fact that they are in my back yard dont hurt. The run down the west ridge of Otero then down tunnel is a blast. I think there were more people out here Sun than I have ever seen.
    I wonder if I ran into you Sunday. I was up there from 1000-0100.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Could have. I saw a bunch of riders Sunday. Thats around the time I was there. Silver Specialized Enduro-Grey Beard. You will find me out there more than not.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Don't recall passing you, I'm planning on spending more time up there so maybe someday. I'll stop you if I see you. I'm on a silver FELT 29er.

Tim

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Better enjoy it while you can. It wont be long until the snow comes. And I hope for tons of snow. Tons of snow is the first step to no forest closings next summer. See you on the trail.

tardcore
    Is there a map of that area? I want to go in the next week but haven't been and don't want to get too lost. If anyone is up for showing a new guy I'd appreciate it. Any days but Sun and Mon are fine.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    If this Fri. or Sat will work, Id be glad to show you around. You can get a Cedro map at the ranger station in Tijeras. But lots of stuff not on the map. After you get the basic layout, you just have to explore.

tardcore
    Great, Saturday should work fine PM me so we can work out a time and meeting location.

banned
    Can you go with Garson and I on Friday? Then Mike on Saturday?

tardcore
    I can shoot for Friday but my window is between 9:00 and 1 or 2-5, gotta pick-up my son from school at 1:30 so I'm good either way.

banned
    I can do that...Garson?

tardcore
    Just so you guys know I'm a fairly new rider but have been riding a ton for the last few months so my fitness pretty good, not great so just don't kill me

banned
    I do fine on the technical stuff, but I will rely on your guys momentum for the climbs.

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by pjlama
    Just so you guys know I'm a fairly new rider but have been riding a ton for the last few months so my fitness pretty good, not great so just don't kill
    me
    No need to worry Bryan has a 50 LB Turner and he is very slow (well up hill, DH he is ok).

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    I can do that...Garson?
    Friday - 2 until dark is fine with me. Not sure where we're going or meeting. Guess that's up to Br'ando.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast