Hey, wait up!

HTH '08 - fresh stuff

Sunday September 21 - Dona Ana, NM (just north of Las Cruces off of I-25)

Online registration open

Registration flier

Website: HornyToadHustle.org -- Updates and additional content coming soon.

Chainless race - costume or some sort of kookiness mandatory - Saturday at 6pm. Valuable prizes available. Limited to the first 25 or so who email us to reserve a spot. gotdirtnm at gmail dot com

I was flagging the sport course today and got a fresh data track: 18.4 miles; 2,150 feet of climbing. The steepest grade I found was 19%, for a very short stretch.

Fresh map / cue sheet in development.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In best Klingon voice: Today is a good day to ride!

New Mexico Off Road Series

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Great job on the flagging Dave. I got a chance to ride the course the right way today because of your flags. Man it was hot! I hadn't ridden the 19% spot you mentioned because i had always cut that part out and took the right turn just before it. That section of singletrack at the very top is pretty cool. Really great job with picking the course. I look forward to the suffering. i'm telling everyone i don't know about it i see out riding the DAs hoping the turnout is big. See you on the trails.
    Bret

Hey, wait up!
    Map / cue sheet ***click-click***
    (clear as mud?)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mnt bike laws of physics

Request for the Pro/experts

Dave, is it possible to add in some extra technical stuff for the Pro/expert group or is it too late to ask?

I was thinking the inner loop (on the west side) backwards at least and 2 other deviant deviations i have in mind near the green rock(one up the rock step up that we did last year and the steep climb on the left right after the green rock)....you know, to spice it up some.

Remember last year were we had the trail split for the sports and the experts. Just like that, but a few more of them.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by yogiprophet
    Dave, is it possible to add in some extra technical stuff for the Pro/expert group or is it too late to ask?

I was thinking the inner loop (on the west side) backwards at least and 2 other deviant deviations i have in mind near the green rock(one up the rock step up that we did last year and the steep climb on the left right after the green rock)....you know, to spice it up some.

Remember last year were we had the trail split for the sports and the experts. Just like that, but a few more of them.
    Day-amn, now you're starting to sound like Ray: "Let's send them up the hill, then over the hill, then around the hill, then through the hill, then they can hand-over-hand climb the cliffs, do a traverse then rappel off the other side, then dig a tunnel and drill a well and make a mud pit, then they can do some wrestling .......... "

I rode the inner loop backwards, it didn't seem like much fun at all. If we do a course split, odds are someone will get confused/miss it. Plus the racers would miss some good flowy, with a couple of tight surprise turns to derail overcookers.

I'm agreeable to including the rock step (for pro/experts/sports and SSers).

The steep short grunt up / skid down to the left just after the green rock is a bit treacherous, and if we included it we would have to have a marshal to police that all who are supposed to ride it do so. (It's also not a formal part of the approved trail).

Things are already pretty complicated with junctions and turns and such. I'm not inclined to up the complexification factor much more.

.d.

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Didn't you know that Ray is my real daddy. As they say - like father like son.

The very first time i every saw Ray, he was out in front as a big goup of us were riding the west side and he took the steep climb deviation after the green rock i mentioned. I knew right away he was my daddy. That part is not dangerous is it? Besides, I was hoping Ray could be there to make sure we all did it

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    ... Online registration ...
    Hey, Dave. SportsBaseOnline charged me $40 (plus handling fee).

Isn't it supposed to be $30?

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson

They aren't supposed to charge any late fees for online registration. We'll get that fixed asap and give you back $10 at packet pickup.

daveh

Dirt Rocks!

Let Go, and Let Bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thank you, my friend. I hope the misunderstanding hasn't been holding your online registration back.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Looks like a great course, will there camping (overnight parking) at the venue?

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by gt_park
    Looks like a great course, will there camping (overnight parking) at the venue?
    Yes parking and camping available.

Primitive desert camping on BLM land. Beware of snakes, spiders and other critters.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garson

The pricing is fixed.

Online registration open through Friday night with no late fees.

Packet pickup / Late registration at the bike shop Saturday 1-4

Packet pickup at the race start Saturday evening AFTER the 6pm coaster ride.

Packet pickup at the race start Sunday morning before 8am

Racers meeting 8.15am / First racers off at 8.30am

Flier

Fresh Map (new squiggle on the lower far west side / beginner by-pass moved south by a scootch)
    Last edited by LCdaveH; 09-16-2008 at 12:05 PM.

mnt bike laws of physics
    Quote Originally Posted by LCdaveH
    (new squiggle on the lower far west side / beginner by-pass moved south by a scootch)
    Sweeeet! The beginner course is a little bit longer this year. Good deal.

Hey, wait up!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Dave and crew,

Thanks again for a great race. It was my first XC race, but if they're all like that, I'll definitely be coming back for more.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004

Chainless DH video

Check out the chainless dh video. That's a handheld camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miaGtApqkck
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

mnt bike laws of physics

Damn!!!

That is sweet DW! Classy, very classy.
    Thanks for the entertainment.

"I can see why you guys are riding back here" Shaila and i got a kick out a that part.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    [QUOTE=LCdaveH] Results: QUOTE]

Outstanding race organization on a great course. Love those short, steep, rocky climbs. Right at the limit, but the solid footing lets you stay on the bike the whole race. Really appreciate the courses that route through the loose crumbly stuff on the predominantly flat/downhill segments, and do the necessary grooming otherwise. Also, can't remember seeing anything like that Rollercoaster anywhere else - what a trip. Thanks for all the hard work by Mr Dave and the local community.

One of NM's classics. I definitely plan to get back down there for some winter riding.

And Going Nowhere Fast
    That is sweet DW! Classy, very classy.
    Thanks for the entertainment.

"I can see why you guys are riding back here" Shaila and i got a kick out a that part.

Two comments. #1, the bar has been set. Looks like we all know what is required to win the chainless race next year - an ugly dude in a g-string. Gross, but it would win. (Enough ugly dudes, no g-strings.) The well produced video has some great shots of the winner, hot chick + g-string. #2, the race was awesome. The 2nd lap provided all the pain and suffering that the single speeders require. Awesome course, fast & rough & challenging. If only I stopped at the fountain of youth that Ray found on the 2nd lap. Great job, it was a blast.
    Dead Last Doesn't Mean Loser

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thank you Dave and all who put this race together. That course was sweet!!! Loved it! The climbing was fun but all rideable and boy were those climbs rewarded by those incredibly flowing downhill sections. The weather also couldn't have been any better. Awesome race.
    Anyone know the story on this memorial on the dirt road out there? By the dates on the helmet it seems like it was a young person.

mnt bike laws of physics
    I always assumed it was a motorcycle crash by the looks of it.

I saw a lot of people taking pictures at the race. Doesn't anyone have any race pictures to upload?

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    I saw a lot of people taking pictures at the race. Doesn't anyone have any race pictures to upload?
    Ditto.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by ep-henry
    Thank you Dave and all who put this race together. That course was sweet!!! Loved it! The climbing was fun but all rideable and boy were those climbs rewarded by those incredibly flowing downhill sections. The weather also couldn't have been any better. Awesome race.
    Anyone know the story on this memorial on the dirt road out there? By the dates on the helmet it seems like it was a young person.
    I believe it is for a young girl who died in an atv accident.
    Last edited by LCdaveH; 09-24-2008 at 07:30 PM.

Hey, wait up!
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    Ditto.
    Here's some photos from the chainless (if you dare) and from the race,

Photos

Photos

A couple of samples: