mtbr member

How to deal with goathead (puncture vines)

Greetings from up North,
    Looking for some info on how best to deal with goatheads, sandspurs on your home turf. Racing the Tour Divide in June and starting from Antelope Wells, so will be in puncture territory for a few days and was wondering how you deal with these things? Is there a better tire, slim tube, etc.? Will be riding 29er with tubes.
    Thanks
    “Singlespeed, build character, destroy ego”

I ride with tools
    Switch to tubeless and home brewed sealant.

on the flats
    Feb 2011
    i havent had a flat with tubeless and stans in years. I have ran schwable, geax and wtb tubeless with no problems.
    i only ride for fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    +1 on stans and tubeless. Goat-head central in our area and haven't had a flat in years.

Climbs = necessary evil
    At the risk of being repetitive - stan's tubeless. We have the goat heads here too and I had a ton of flats later summer but zero since I switched to tubeless in the fall, while my riding partners with tubes continue to get flats.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

How to deal with goathead (puncture vines)

+1 to all the above. No punctures in 5 years of running Stan's. Best thing I ever did for my bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Maybe one day I'll get around to the Stan's set up, but I run tubes with slime and tire liners. Yep, it adds a little weight, but I've also been flat-free for ages. Kudos to you for taking on the Continental Divide Trail, in a race, too. Good luck! Maybe one day I'll get around to that, as well.

Genius
    If you run tubes use the puncture resistant ones and a couple spoons of glitter to the stans mix for even faster sealing of punctures, thus keeping more stans (and air) in your tire. Same mix for tubeless.

As for tires, i would suggest Specialized Purgatory 2Bliss. It"s a sturdy all-around tire. No matter what model you go with run a tubeless ready tire even if you plan on using tubes. The sidewalls, and tire in general have a much thicker build than regular tires.

Also, if you run through a whole patch of goatheads, I recommend leaving them in. Most will break off leaving the thorn and wont leak much if at all.
    Last edited by De La Pena; 04-20-2013 at 04:49 PM.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

I <3 NM
    I like both CafeLatex and Stans - Stans is easier to find and works great.
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barnman View Post
    Maybe one day I'll get around to the Stan's set up, but I run tubes with slime and tire liners. Yep, it adds a little weight, but I've also been flat-free for ages. Kudos to you for taking on the Continental Divide Trail, in a race, too. Good luck! Maybe one day I'll get around to that, as well.
    I was using your setup as well, heavy duty (thick tubes with slime) and liners. My back wheel was > 7lbs and front was > 6lbs. I dropped 4 lbs from my wheels by going tubeless. My Carve came tubeless ready I just needed stems and tape with Stans. My Ground Cntrls were the Cntrl version (2-bliss). Best move I every made for the money. Bike felt much lighter by loosing 4 lbs of wheel weight.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I sometimes use stan's, and sometimes slime, in tubeless tires. I bought a gallon of slime at autozone for not much money. It has visible bits of rubber in it, so no need to add glitter.
    The slime lasts longer than stan's before drying up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    Switch to tubeless and home brewed sealant.
    Home brewed sealant? I would love to have the recipe.. I assume it saves $$.

mtbr member
    +1 to stan's and ghetto tubeless, no pinch flats either. Isn't this race almost (entirely?) off singletrack? Really rare to get a goathead on anything but a rarely ridden/driven section of dirt, since others pick them up for you.
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info, looking at options: tubless with a few tubes as back-up. Now time to start training for the heat: steam room.
    “Singlespeed, build character, destroy ego”