Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well It has Begun...(Fire Restrictions)

Just letting everyone know that fire restrictions have started in Sandia and Mountainair Districts. Unless we see some serious moisture I assume more to follow soon.

Quoted the email I received. Lets be careful out there.

Stage One Restrictions are now in effect on the Sandia And Mountainair Ranger Districts.

Please e-mail me if you would like to be take off this mailing list. Thanks KT

Cibola National Forest and Grasslands’ Sandia and Mountainair Ranger Districts begin Stage I fire restrictions on April 22, 2013

Albuquerque, NM. April 18, 2013 – Cibola National Forest and Grasslands Acting Forest Supervisor Travis Moseley announced that the Mountainair and Sandia Ranger Districts will begin Stage I fire restrictions on Monday, April 22, 2013 at 8:00 a.m. “Due to ongoing drought conditions and increasing fire danger, these restrictions are necessary to prevent human-caused wildfires and to protect public health and safety,” Moseley said.

Stage I fire restrictions include:
    1. Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire, campfire, charcoal, coal, or wood stove, except within a Forest Service developed recreation site, or improved site. Exceptions: The use of petroleum-fueled stoves, lanterns or heating devices are allowed providing such devices meet the fire underwriter’s specifications for safety.
    2. Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material.
    3. Possessing, discharging or using any kind of firework or other pyrotechnic device.
    The following are exempt from Stage I fire orders on public lands managed by the Cibola National Forest and Grasslands:
    1. Persons with a Forest Service permit specifically authorizing the prohibited act or omission.
    2. Any federal, state or local officer or member of an organized firefighting force in the performance of an official duty.
    3. Resident owners and lessees of land, and holders of Forest Service recreation special use authorizations, within the restricted area are exempt from Restriction No. 1 above, provided such fires are within a permanent structure.

Moseley said that forest employees on all the districts regularly analyze conditions to assess the dryness of the vegetation by monitoring temperatures, humidity and precipitation. This information is used to determine whether fire restrictions are either enacted or elevated to a higher level.

Current fire restrictions for the Cibola National Forest and Grasslands are:
    · Mountainair Ranger District: Will begin Stage I Fire Restrictions on April 22, 2013.
    · Sandia Ranger District: Will begin Stage I Fire Restrictions on April 22, 2013.
    · Black Kettle and McClellan Creek National Grasslands: No restrictions; fire conditions are currently moderate.
    · Kiowa and Rita Blanca National Grasslands: No restrictions; fire conditions are currently high.
    · Magdalena Ranger District: No restrictions; fire conditions are currently very high.
    · Mt. Taylor Ranger District: No restrictions; fire conditions are currently moderate.

The current fire restriction orders can be found on the Cibola’s web site: Cibola National Forest and National Grasslands - Home in the “Alerts and Notices” section. In addition, fire restrictions information is also posted on a new national fire restriction website: Fire Restrictions.

Useful fire websites:
    · Southwest Coordination Center: Southwest Coordination Center (SWCC) Website
    · National Interagency Fire Center: National Interagency Fire Center
    · National Incident Information Center: National Interagency Fire Center
    · FireWise: Home - Firewise
    · Fire Restrictions: Fire Restrictions
    Ride: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

mtbr member
    Not too surprising, hopefully the restrictions do not escalate. Thanks for posting this info.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Single Speed Junkie
    Thanks for the heads up on fire restrictions. Hope we see some much needed rain soon.

Stucco Bucket
    Are you the new Foo Pres?

mtbr member

Re: It has Begun...(Fire Restrictions)

No that would be Claudia. I'm not sure if she has an account on here.

I help out anyway I can and do the social media stuff for them!

I just want to get an awesome IMBA chapter here and create a bad ass mtb community herw in ABQ!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Ride: 2014 Yeti SB66AC

mtbr member
    It would be pretty cool if Abq had a club that was as effective and active as SFFTS. Wishing you guys the best!

mtbr member
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Rain come on!

mtbr member
    It's raining good in the Santa Fe mountains! Sprinkling in town! I see a Winsor shuttle on some tacky dirt in my near future
    Should be a good time to shape things up at the Trash Pit, too!

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte View Post
    It's raining good in the Santa Fe mountains! Sprinkling in town! I see a Winsor shuttle on some tacky dirt in my near future
    Should be a good time to shape things up at the Trash Pit, too!
    No such luck here in the East Mtns.
    Sent on my Droid while hitting that $h!t

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Damn is it hot and DRY out there! Nothing like talcum powder trails

mtbr member
    Yeah, no bueno. Trails in the Sandias not too bad yet. Hate to say it but I'd expect closure within a few weeks unless we get rain....

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    Yeah, no bueno. Trails in the Sandias not too bad yet. Hate to say it but I'd expect closure within a few weeks unless we get rain....
    I'm hoping to take the family camping once prior to closures. This year looks like we will be shut down early without rain. Going for a longer ride trying to make up for closures on the horizon.

Wonder if Socorro or Cuba trails will be open longer than ABQ trails???

mtbr member
    Closures are district specific. I was referring to the Sandia RD. I'm not sure about Cuba (Santa Fe NF) or Socorro (BLM). Either way, if we don't see rain, we might all be out on our road bikes a lot more and nobody wants to see that! :P

mtbr member
    Closures are district specific. I was referring to the Sandia RD. I'm not sure about Cuba (Santa Fe NF) or Socorro (BLM). Either way, if we don't see rain, we might all be out on our road bikes a lot more and nobody wants to see that! :P
    Start the praying to Zeus.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Whatsa roadbike?
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

7MGTE
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Whatsa roadbike?
    Seems dangerous as well. Have you seen all the white bikes around town?

mtbr member
    Owl has got some good UNM lines laid out. Also the tvi montoya campus right by my house has some stair gaps. I got some new 2.4 big apple tires knockoffs ready to step up my street game.

mtbr member
    Back in the day before good music

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Tried to ride the Corrales Bosque today. Closed due to fire restrictions.

mtbr member
    Looks like the Sandia will most likely implement stage 3 restrictions June 10. All areas will be closed except foothills south of the Tram and out of the wilderness. Looks like I'll have to break my "only ride the foothills in the winter" rule....

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Looks like I'll have to break my "only ride the foothills in the winter" rule....
    What? I figured you had the latitude to "patrol user trails", "search for illegal trail building", "assess forest conditions", "assist in wildlife counts", or even "perform scat surveys". All while "minimizing the potential for creating ignition sources" by riding your single speed. Need any help with your scat surveys? Please?

mtbr member
    I could ride for patrolling purposes but I'd have to ride in full nomex, fire boots and fire pack. I'm not that desperate yet.

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    Quote Originally Posted by bg2lk15 View Post
    What? I figured you had the latitude to "patrol user trails", "search for illegal trail building", "assess forest conditions", "assist in wildlife counts", or even "perform scat surveys". All while "minimizing the potential for creating ignition sources" by riding your single speed. Need any help with your scat surveys? Please?
    Funny you should mention that. About 10 years ago the FS would let some of us do bike patrols here in the East Mtns. We would have to sit through a couple of classes,get a green vest and off we would go. Thought it was a pretty sweet deal. I bet we could get some volunteers to sign up.

saddlemeat
    The Zuni Mountains are now in stage 2 restrictions and the riding is great if you can do without a campfire and smoking on the trail. It has been unusually cool and wet this spring, last night was still in the high 30's, so it's very green and lush right now.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast