banned

Gutierrez Canyon Trails

A few local MTBR'ers are going to check out some stuff in Gutierrez Canyon this evening. Meet and greet @ PJ's Triumph/Ducati at 4pm if your interested. I hear there is some good stuff out there, but it's short.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    A few local MTBR'ers are going to check out some stuff in Gutierrez Canyon this evening. Meet and greet @ PJ's Triumph/Ducati at 4pm if your interested. I hear there is some good stuff out there, but it's short.

Just wondering as to where this trail is..

Details?
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

banned
    I will know more after today. I have only heard about them at this point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTBNate
    Just wondering as to where this trail is..

Details?

East of North 14 near the Cedar Crest Post Office.

Heckler db
    May 2008
    There are two official access points for gutierrez canyon open space. One is behind the post office @ cedar crest and the other is @ gutierrez canyon road and hobart road. This almost 800 acre open space is owned by the city of abq and no! motor! vehicles! are! allowed! There is a ton of potential for bike trails out there, a killer loop can be accomplished with some new trail. I am going to try to get a group sanctioned by the open space to build trail and of course will need people to volunteer. I will put together some pics and maps soon.

MTB avatar goes here
    Sep 2009

Food, meeting, etc...

Count me in for any work that needs to be done. I'm a Cedar Crest Business owner that has been riding the Gutierrez Trails for 6 years and have some good ideas for additional trails. I live north of the actual canyon and have the San Antonito open space in my backyard.It is marked as "22" on the map. There are trails here as well, and an additional 168 acres, but no way to connect them with Gutierrez Canyon without going on the pavement. (yet)

I don't wanna get flagged as a vendor, but I have a great meeting facility in Cedar Crest.

J

banned
    Nice...you, hecklerdb, and pjlama need to get together. The Bandoleros can assist as well.

I <3 NM
    Gonna have to check this trail out durning the first 2 wks of Oct. I maybe able to help with some trail work too.
    Last edited by MTBNate; 09-04-2009 at 10:26 AM.

I <3 NM
    Last edited by MTBNate; 09-04-2009 at 10:34 AM.

MTB avatar goes here
    Sep 2009
    Nice...you, hecklerdb, and pjlama need to get together. The Bandoleros can assist as well.
    Let's do it.

J

banned
    whats up, J! you own the restaurant, correct? your the chef, too?

High Alpine Adventure

Don't just go off....

This is Albuquerque Open Space so please coordinate with Jim Sattler (JSattler@cabq.gov)

Thanks...
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

banned
    I'm sure that they (we) have every intention on involving Jim. This is just some internet chatter. You know how lazy I am when it comes to building things .

MTB avatar goes here
    Sep 2009
    I'm sure that they (we) have every intention on involving Jim. This is just some internet chatter. You know how lazy I am when it comes to building things .
    I just built 6 miles of singletrack last night. Boy I'm sore.

Yes, this is the restaurant guy Jay. Wanna get beers and have a meet and greet next week?

J

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybob

Yes, this is the restaurant guy Jay. Wanna get beers and have a meet and greet next week?

J
    Sure! I will be in touch. I think I still have your number, PM me just in case

tardcore
    Quote Originally Posted by jaybob

J
    If there's beer involved I'm in for sure Jay you still got Marble IPA and Amber on tap?

Sorry for the late reply I was visiting a mouse in California. I ride these trails at least once a week as I live next to them. I am all for working on them and am pretty handy with a shovel. Me and a couple guys are riding them Thursday after work so if anyone wants to check it out let me know and I'll show you around.

Heckler and Jay let's get together to talk ideas since we all live there and see what we can do. If you guys can make Thursday PM me and we can make it a scouting ride.

MTB avatar goes here
    Sep 2009
    Marble is still pouring.

I will be working Thursday.

J

Heckler db
    May 2008
    pj, jaybob, I am pretty flexible, let me know and i can be there. Yo goat, I definitely am trying to get satler to meet with me. I will be working to get approved as a group to build trail. I have property that borders and can be used to stage work towards the east side. mtb123, don't worry, we will find something easy for u to do! like cooler dooty.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckler db
    mtb123, don't worry, we will find something easy for u to do! like cooler dooty.
    I think that I could handle that job. Of course I could guinea pig all of your cool features too

RCC
    Bandolero
    I think that I could handle that job. Of course I could guinea pig all of your cool features too
    That's funny!
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

banned
    So are we riding today or what?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Hi there

This is Erik, with Albuquerque Open Space. One of our volunteers told us about this thread. It's great to see so much interest in Gutierrez Canyon. Just to confirm, Jim Sattler is the best contact for these trails. His phone number is (505) 452-5213. We are currently working on formalizing the trail system for this area. Many of the existing trails are showing significant rutting. We're now evaluating these trails and working on building some new ones as well. Anyone who's interested in being involved in the process, especially in the construction of new trails, should feel free to contact Jim or myself.

Also, I've created a map showing the existing trails, as well as ones we've added and/or are in the planning stages. I had to compress it quite a bit for this forum to allow me to post it. If anyone would like a higher-res copy, just let me know (ezsemlye@cabq.gov).
    Attached Images Attached Images

banned
    Awesome, thanks for chiming in Eric. Hopefully we will start meeting regularly with Jim as things develop. I think it is important to discuss amongst the user groups that will use the space what the needs are. Personally, and I know from previous experiences, that Jim is somewhat sensitive to the needs of the 'freebiker'. Meaning allowing the development of more challenging terrain for the aggressive riders. I have ridden sections of trails above and I know there is great potential. Especially if we continue to develop the kind of trails that dbheckler has carved on his property.

I look forward to this!

I <3 NM
    Count me in for trail work... I may not have the skills to do the aggressive stuff, but I can use a shovel and trail rake just fine.

I'll be moved to Alb by Thanksgiving.

Heckler db
    May 2008
    Thanks Erik! We look forward to working with all of you at open space. This recreation area has tremendous potential for mountain bikers and trail runners along with hikers and horsemen and we all can appreciate a well made trail.