Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

... and if we just ... Gutierrez Canyon trail build

We'll be working on the east side of the canyon from the Hobart Rd. trailhead on December 5th, a Saturday, from 9 to 1 or so. This is the new open space acquisition and a new trail leading into it all. Please come help lay the groundwork for some great riding. Contact Eric Zsemlye at Open Space at 452-5208 if you can help out.

Thanks!

tardcore
    Cool! I'll be there.

banned
    Nice! This is the first I've heard of it. Gutierrez has some great possibilities. Thank you for the heads up!

MTB avatar goes here
    Sep 2009
    I'll be working, so all I can do is maybe have some breakfast burritos ready for pickup?

Lemmeno how many you need and what time, Brian or PJ can pick 'em up on their way.

J

banned
    I had an expectation of being able to ride this weekend, but recent choice to "shoot blanks" has rendered me incapable of even bending over at the moment...at least for now. I should be able to make the trail day and help out where I can.

Heckler db
    May 2008
    Sweet! count me in!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by barnman
    We'll be working on the east side of the canyon from the Hobart Rd. trailhead on December 5th, a Saturday, from 9 to 1 or so. This is the new open space acquisition and a new trail leading into it all. Please come help lay the groundwork for some great riding. Contact Eric Zsemlye at Open Space at 452-5208 if you can help out.

Thanks!
    anyone got quickie link to a map and directions?

mtbr member

FYI guys

I could be wrong, but it seems you guys think this work day is scheduled for this weekend.

The OP's thread says December 5th.

And if Jaybob is providing burritos I may have to join in. Had a tasty post-ride burger at his joint today. Mmmmm.

banned
    Thanks...I'm a little out of it at the moment!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks!

barnman I would love to help. Do you have directions? TB

RCC
    Bandolero

Oouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    I had an expectation of being able to ride this weekend, but recent choice to "shoot blanks" has rendered me incapable of even bending over at the moment
    I'm pretty sure I can make it to the trail work day.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

Bandolero Crew N.M.
    I had an expectation of being able to ride this weekend, but recent choice to "shoot blanks" has rendered me incapable of even bending over at the moment...at least for now. I should be able to make the trail day and help out where I can.
    Dang. Sure you dont want to hit Otero and work on some drops? I think the ice pack is your best friend right now. Go hang with Bruce and look at MTBR all day. Heal up quick man.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbike52
    I think the ice pack is your best friend right now.
    Frozen veggies

7MGTE
    I had an expectation of being able to ride this weekend, but recent choice to "shoot blanks" has rendered me incapable of even bending over at the moment...at least for now.
    Ah, I hope to do the same this year but everyone says hows it's nothing for the man. Everyone I have talked to acts like, "oh, yeah its nothing, in and out" and I fig. it could never be that freaking easy. They say its much harder for the chics I guess? Hey are you sure they did not tie your fallopian tubes by mistake?

Did you get any good pain pills?

banned
    I did here an "oops" during the procedure

Standard pain management...HydroC and Vitamin I

You gonna make the build day?

7MGTE
    Just tell them those make you sick and you can ONLY take OC 80s for the pain

Yeah I plan on making it to the build day. My car should be working by then, well I hope.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Smile trailhead directions

I cannot find a suitable map for Gutierrez Canyon, so written directions will have to suffice.
    Take I-40 east to the Zuzax exit and cross over I-40. You are now on the north side of the freeway. Head back west along the frontage for about 1/2 mile, and you'll see Gutierrez Canyon on your right. Head up about 2 miles, give or take a bit, to the corner of Hobart Rd/Gutierrez Canyon Rd. The trail is immediately to your left. There will be a parking lot eventually, but you'll see spaces off-road to park. Thanks in advance for all the positives responses. I know it's tough to give up a morning of riding or whatever, but we all benefit, and I, for one, love riding a trail on which I've worked.

RCC
    Bandolero
    I cannot find a suitable map for Gutierrez Canyon, so written directions will have to suffice.
    Take I-40 east to the Zuzax exit and cross over I-40. You are now on the north side of the freeway. Head back west along the frontage for about 1/2 mile, and you'll see Gutierrez Canyon on your right. Head up about 2 miles, give or take a bit, to the corner of Hobart Rd/Gutierrez Canyon Rd. The trail is immediately to your left. There will be a parking lot eventually, but you'll see spaces off-road to park. Thanks in advance for all the positives responses. I know it's tough to give up a morning of riding or whatever, but we all benefit, and I, for one, love riding a trail on which I've worked.
    Cool thanks .
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    I've been wanting to get in on some trail work for a while now. I'll commit that time barring any interference from school or sporadic availability of work. ( I gotta work when I can ) I hope to be able to make it though.

mtbr member
    The first post says December 5

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hey there. Erik here from Open Space. It's great to see all the interest in this project, and I'm sure we'll get a lot of good work done on the 5th. We'll be finishing a section of trail that was started two weekends ago. This trail will bypass a section of an old, informal trail that has gotten severely rutted due to erosion. Also on that day, we'll want to close off that old section so that everyone uses our shiny new sustainable trail. Jim Sattler and I will also lay out another section of trail in case we finish those first two tasks and still have some time/volunteers left.

A couple of points about group size - we like to keep crews to no more than a dozen people, give or take a few. Any more than that, and things get a little unwieldy. Also, the more accurate of a head count of volunteers we have before the project, the better we can gauge how many tools to bring, how much trail to layout, etc. I think we can use this thread to keep track of how many volunteers we'll have (based on the replies, it looks like we're at about 8 so far). Mtn. Biker123 may try to create a poll (I can't seem to figure it out) where you can indicate if you'll be attending.

I created a map with the access for this trail noted on it (http://tinyurl.com/yfb2kj8). You should be able to just click on the marker and get directions from wherever you are. Let me know if that link doesn't work.

Lastly, there is no formal parking at that access point, and roadside parking is very limited. If we could use this thread to try to arrange as much carpooling as possible, that would be a huge help. My phone number is in the orginal post, you can also email or PM me with any other questions. Thanks, and we'll see you on the 5th!

tardcore
    I live adjacent to the trails on the other side of the canyon, so I will ride over with a change of clothes, people are welcome to park at my place and ride over with me just let me know so I can give directions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Thanks, Eric, for the additional info. I'd like to add my two boys to the crew since numbers may be a concern. See you all on the 5th.

MTB avatar goes here
    Sep 2009

Parking

There's ample parking behind the restaurant as well.

J

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Mtn. Biker123 was kind enough to start a new thread with a poll in it to help get a head count: Gutierrez Canyon Trail Day!! [Need A Head Count]

As I read barnman's last post, I realized that the poll doesn't allow for extra people to be accounted for unless they are logged into the forum with their own profile and also vote in the poll. If that's the case, when you vote in the poll, add a comment to the thread to indicate any additional folks that aren't accounted for in the poll response.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast