Thread: Guaje Ridge?

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Guaje Ridge?

I know it was mostly rebuilt after Cerro Grande. Then I think the top part got burned by Las Conchas. So I'm sure it's not the same ride I remember from the 90s, but is it still there and worth doing? I'm visiting with the fam for the Santa Fe Bike/Brew fest and was thinking of dragging my wife (who loves tech riding but not pointless bushwhacking) up there for old times' sake.

What say ye, LA locals? And yes, I know that it might not be dried out in May.

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I know it was mostly rebuilt after Cerro Grande. Then I think the top part got burned by Las Conchas. So I'm sure it's not the same ride I remember from the 90s, but is it still there and worth doing? I'm visiting with the fam for the Santa Fe Bike/Brew fest and was thinking of dragging my wife (who loves tech riding but not pointless bushwhacking) up there for old times' sake.

What say ye, LA locals? And yes, I know that it might not be dried out in May.

-Walt
    Hey Walt,

It's in fairly good shape and the forest service has reworked and rerouted much of the lower half recently. The biggest problem is the locust bushes that grow in late summer making it a really painful ride. The best time to ride it is after the spring Jemez Mountain (Outside Bike & Brew Festival Schedule) run because they always do a really good job cleaning it up for the race and packing it in with all the runners. It looks like your timing is just before that but hopefully they'll already have it cleaned up by that time.

My favorite ride these days is to shuttle to Pajarito, ride up up the ski area, and then ride off the back side into the new Pajarito Canyon trail. Then I ride over past Nail Trail towards Camp May road and ride down the single track next to Camp May road and finish off with either Gabriela or Dickless. Hit me up when your in town and I'd be happy to show you this route.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Walt, Neal is spot-on. I'll only add that if you're short on time and looking for tech riding right in town, it'd be worth you both looping School Canyon. It's "new" since you were riding here (technically, it always existed, and Rod & others reclaimed it). It's not difficult, but it keeps your interest the entire way. Happy to show it to you if necessary and you don't get a better offer.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys! I always wished someone would rehab the trail connecting the old Townsite lift area with Pajarito Canyon - that is really good to know! The new Gabriela/Camp May singletracks look awesome too. It looks like things have actually gotten a lot nicer for mountain biking in the decade+ since I've visited.

My first ever ride with clipless pedals was Quemazon/Pipeline/Guaje Ridge/Cabra/AZ firebreak and back to my house. You cannot imagine the number of crashes. It's a miracle I didn't need a rescue. Halfway down the ridge I ripped a cleat out of my shoe and had to ride the rest only clipped in on one side...

Anyway, my interest in Guaje ridge is mostly sentimental but it's good to know that it still exists. Lots of thorns doesn't sound too fun though.

There is also a decent chance the whole family + Waltworks bikes will move to LA in 2016. I'd love to meet up with any/all of y'all for a ride while we're in town (anyone got a good babysitter they'll loan out for an afternoon or two?) and the beer is on me afterwards!

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com