Thread: Guaje Ridge?

C S
    mtbr member

Guaje Ridge?

I am going to try to head home and do some riding sometime in the next two weeks. I was thinking about Guaje ridge, but I know that it was pretty overgrown. Any updates on the condition of the trail? The other option is guaje canyon, but I don't know how to get to the trailhead. Is it before the steep climb up pipeline road coming from Canada Bonita or after it?

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    The GC start heads north just after the gate and before that steep, loose climb. We're riding it tomorrow night, and Friday I can give you an idea of how many trees are down since the last effort at clearing. I think it was either Neal or Von that mentioned there'd been a few that had fallen recently. No beta from me on GR; it's been months since I've ridden it. But some folks here may have made some headway against the locust - anyone?
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by C S
    I am going to try to head home and do some riding sometime in the next two weeks. I was thinking about Guaje ridge, but I know that it was pretty overgrown. Any updates on the condition of the trail? The other option is guaje canyon, but I don't know how to get to the trailhead. Is it before the steep climb up pipeline road coming from Canada Bonita or after it?
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    AFAIK, pipeline road is clear, the beginning 2 miles of GR is clear (that's the forested part), the middle 2-3 miles has locust issues, and the bottom 3 miles or so is clear. I made a few attempts to clear off GR and kept having malfunctions. One trip I ripped my derailleur off and another I broke my loppers. I was clearing it backwards and think I made it as far as a mile below Mitchell before the last incident. So, the bottom several miles leading up to 3-bears (Upper Guaje Road) is clear. It's so late in the season I decided I'd get the rest in the spring once I start clearing winter-fall logs.

The last person I know to ride GR from this board was Ruby (rkopelov) on the Gita Sunday. She said there were some annoying parts,but nothing that made the ride unbearable. Ruby...you want to chime in here?
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Update - Nice ride last night, and perfect temps! Stream is still runiing with a decent flow. There are a dozen or so trees down that require a dismount. Yeah, they interrup the flow, but not so many as to be annoying. One very large pair pulled out, root ball and all, right next to the trail and begs to be incorporated as a trail feature. We may attack that this Spring.
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

C S
    mtbr member
    Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I will be doing Guaje ridge this time, I'll let you know what the vegetation situation is tomorrow

C S
    mtbr member
    Guaje Ridge is in pretty decent shape. There were only a few places where the bushes encroached on the trail enough to be annoying, otherwise it was awesome as always

Syrenne!

Glad you got up there!

Yeah, I didn't think the locusts were that miserable, either--the fun definitely outweighed the bother!
    Go huck yourself.