Thread: Guaje Ridge

???
    Jun 2007

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Guaje Ridge

I don't care what anyone says - Guaje Ridge rocks. Mile after mile of flowing single track through the beautiful locust forests of northern Los Alamos County. A true classic...

RCC
    Bandolero
    Quote Originally Posted by muppetry
    I don't care what anyone says - Guaje Ridge rocks.
    I'll second that cool pic too.
    RCC
    I heard the mission bell
    And i was thinking to my self
    This could be heaven or this could be hell...

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden the upper part in a couple of months now. What was the condition? From the photo it looks overgrown.

The one down side to the Punishment not running on GR is that it doesn't get the late season grooming that it has had in the past years. Perhaps a lopper run is in order.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

mtbr member

Needs work

Guaje is in BAD shape (not all of it, just most of what burned... the first 1/4 mile is great). It is seriously overgrown and the erosion has not been kind in some spots. No trees down though. To be honest I would prefer a few trees to climb over instead of the lashing.

I was up there last summer with a machete clearing locusts before the race. Everyone that helped did a good job and I thought it would last for a few seasons. Unfortunately it didn't last even one season and now it is worse than it was before it was cleared. It seems the weeds have us outnumbered.
    there can be only one... track

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NM_Highlander
    Guaje is in BAD shape (not all of it, just most of what burned... the first 1/4 mile is great). It is seriously overgrown and the erosion has not been kind in some spots.
    Ug...crap. I'll try to make a point of hitting the ridge in the next couple of weeks and haul my loppers with me. The lower 2-3 miles isn't bad. I've been riding it periodically and haven't had issues. Generally I turn around and then hit Cabra or Pajarito trail or even head out on Garcia. Looks like I was missing the jungle.

I'm out of town over this holiday weekend. Can't get up there till next. Anyone else in LA want to give it a buzz in the meantime?
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."