Is the bike OK?

Guaje Canyon (Los Alamos): anyone know the trail condition?

Does anyone know if the trees in Guaje Canyon got cut off the trail for the Jemez Mountain Run? I heard that Pajarito Trail, an option for coming out of the canyon, has been cleared this spring.

PS: Rode Guaje Ridge last night. The same four trees that were down on the lower trail a few weeks ago are still there and there are two new trees down on the upper trail but they're not to hard to climb over. Other than that and the thorn bushes the trail is in awesome condition and extremely green

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nealpederson
    Other than that and the thorn bushes the trail is in awesome condition and extremely green
    Would you reccommend wearing shin/knee armor to keep the thorns off the legs? How high are the Locust right now? Thinking of doing Guaje Ridge this weekend.

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by delnorte
    Would you reccommend wearing shin/knee armor to keep the thorns off the legs? How high are the Locust right now? Thinking of doing Guaje Ridge this weekend.
    Yeah, I'd where shin/knee armor and full-finger gloves. That's what I had on last night. The Locust are about waste high and didn't bother my arms. Have fun if you go!

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    I'd recommend you take some pruning shears and stop once in a while where the locust are impinging on the trail. If everyone who rode the Ridge would do the same, then before long we could have the locust problem under control.

Neal; Can't say for sure, but I'd wager no one has cleared the canyon yet. Woodhog and I were talking about getting the motos & saws up there, but haven't got to it yet. The biggest stack of downed trees is above the dam, and it's kind of difficult to get in there, whether you come in from above or from downstream.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by delnorte

mtbr member
    I've been cutting back locust in Pajarito Canyon... and a friend of mine is going up there Friday to clear more. Hopefully next week it will be much better. They just grow so damn fast. I've found a machete works pretty well and you look cool with the handle sticking out of the top of your camelback!
    there can be only one... track

Is the bike OK?
    Quote Originally Posted by NM_Highlander
    I've been cutting back locust in Pajarito Canyon... and a friend of mine is going up there Friday to clear more. Hopefully next week it will be much better. They just grow so damn fast. I've found a machete works pretty well and you look cool with the handle sticking out of the top of your camelback!
    Machete, hmmm, that does sound like fun . Pajarito Canyon's got to be one of the worst places for locust. I'll have to do that ride again soon if it's being cleared. The last one I did with you I ended up squeezing a 1/2" thorn out of my leg the following weekend after my leg was starting to turn black and blue from the infection. I thought I hit my shin downhilling until Dan told me it didn't look right.

Thanks for the info Joe. I got a pre-Jemez race report that put the trail at only four trees down compared to 20 on the ridge. They obviously cleared the ridge trees but I don't know if they cut any of the canyon trees or not. I might give it a go just to check it out. I'll post status if I do go.

mtbr member
    I'll bring a pair of snippers and clip little bit when I'm there Sunday. Anyone care to join? I have one extra set of clippers.

mtbr member
    I ended up squeezing a 1/2" thorn out of my leg the following weekend after my leg was starting to turn black and blue from the infection.
    Reminds me of my days down in Las Cruces. I was always finding thorns to squeeze out... it is so strangely satisfying.
    there can be only one... track

Is the bike OK?
    We'll be hitting Guaje Canyon leaving the ski area around 9:20-9:30am.

delnorte, if you need a shuttle from town we'll be heading up at 9am sharp. I'll PM my phone numbers to you.

Is the bike OK?

Down Tree Report

Guaje Canyon Down Tree Report: About 7 trees down total. Most didn't interrupt our flow much but there were a couple big clumps of trees near and after the reservoir. The ride is definitely worth doing now but will be better once Woodhog gets in there with NMJoe. Ride report/pictures to come.

Is the bike OK?

Fun Ride!

Chris M. and I did the ride as planned with our wives. It took a bit longer than we thought (wives ) but we had a great time even though we got soaked at the end. We were planning on riding out Pajarito Trail but it was raining and thundering too much at the end so we had Ben pick us up on the road in Rendija Canyon.

Pajarito Ski Hill, just before the start:
    GR01_2Couples.jpg

Chris on Canada Bonita:
    GR02_CanadaBonitaChris.jpg

View of the Valle Grande:
    GR03_ValleGrande.jpg

Headed out to the point:
    GR04_ChrisPaulaKris.jpg

Me and Kristin at the point:
    GR05_NealKrisPoint.jpg

View from the point:
    GR06_PointView.jpg

Paula & Kristin on one of the switchbacks (funnest part of the ride when you ride them ):
    GR07_PaulaKrisSwitchback.jpg

Paula & Kris in the canyon:
    GR08_PaulaKrisGrass.jpg

Chris under one of the down trees:
    GR09_ChrisDownTrees.jpg

I went OTB on one of the stream crossings. Didn't see that rock
    GR10_NealOTBStream.jpg

Is the bike OK?

Few more pics:

Paula on one of the MANY stream crossings:
    GR11_PaulaStreamCrossing.jpg

Big set of down trees, just before the reservoir:
    GR12_ChrisPaulaKrisDownTrees.jpg

Chris taking our bikes down at the dam:
    GR13_ChrisDam.jpg

Chris riding the stream:
    GR14_ChrisStream.jpg

Kris & Paula heading back quickly as the rain started:
    GR15_KrisPaulaCanyon.jpg

One of the walls in the canyon:
    GR16_Canyon.jpg

I <3 NM
    Great NM pics.. thanks for sharing with us NM natives who are forced to live elsewhere.

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

banned
    Killer pics!!

conjoinicorned
    nice terrain, some great pics!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    That big clump near the reservoir was the one I was pretty sure was still there. The way they're stacked, we were thinking there might be a way to creat some sort of obstacle/feature instead of just cutting them out. Probably won't be until late July before we get in there - too busy riding! Thanks for the report.
    - Joe

Guaje Canyon Down Tree Report: About 7 trees down total. Most didn't interrupt our flow much but there were a couple big clumps of trees near and after the reservoir. The ride is definitely worth doing now but will be better once Woodhog gets in there with NMJoe. Ride report/pictures to come.

banned
    Come on home, Nate!

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Come on home, Nate!
    Working on it Bro.. working on it.

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.