Heathen

Good food in Los Alamos?

I'm looking for a good authentic mex burrito. No chains. Someplace old and weird would be cool.

Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    My real suggestion would be to find some place other than Los Alamos to look for an authentic burrito since something like 97 percent of the population is gringo.

That said, your best bet for a pretty tasty burrito probably is El Parasol, though it's not going to be anything particularly special. Just a good solid tasty burrito.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by Blister Butt View Post
    My real suggestion would be to find some place other than Los Alamos to look for an authentic burrito since something like 97 percent of the population is gringo.

That said, your best bet for a pretty tasty burrito probably is El Parasol, though it's not going to be anything particularly special. Just a good solid tasty burrito.
    +1 on El Parasol. Blue Window Bistro has really good food too, but not sure if they have burritos or not.

I <3 NM
    Forget burritos for awhile... it's GREEN CHILE STEW season!!!!

Mmmmmmmmmm...
    "Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

I <3 NM
    Chile Works next to Sonic makes a good green chile burger.

Mi Casita isn't bad for New Mexican either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    de colores use to be good...havent been there in ages and from what I hear its over priced for what you get. but, their red chili was awesome at one point. As others have said...Los Alamos isnt the place to feast for new mexican food.

Is the bike OK?
    +1 for El Parasol, +1 for Chili Works, Mi Casita went bye-bye. For breakfast burritos a lot of people like Chili Works but I think Coffee Booth (near Smiths) makes the meanest smothered breakfast burritos around and they sell them all day. De Colores is still OK and about the only place to get a burrito and Margarita to go with it (it is more expensive, especially with a Marg!).

I <3 NM
    I liked that coffee shop there across from Smiths, a great local vib.

mtbr member
    May 2010

Gringopinion

Old and weird: Chile works. Great burritos too.

Great burrito: Rigoberto's. New and weird.

I guess I'm racist, as I believe white folks can make good food. Even burritos.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    The coffee booths burnini is awesome. It's a breakfast burrito that they put in their panini press. Something about having a crispy-ish tortilla for a breakfast burrito makes it taste better IMO.

I <3 NM
    there is a really good bagel place around the corner from Starbucks.

Heathen
    Thanks all for the info

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've been wondering how Rigoberto's is. May have to try it out here soon. There's also Hot Rocks which I think is pretty good.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    This! Makes for the best breakfast burrito in town, hands down. Bonus is that the Coffee Booth owned and run by a local guy, and Brian gives quite a bit back to the community. My only gripe is that, like most things in LA, it's overpriced. But if you're looking to treat yourself, the extra $3 or so is worth it.
    Another option on weekdays is the grill down in Totavi at the gas station. My personal favorite is Knapp's Wraps, run out of a small trailer parked out front of Metzgers in White Rock. Why, you ask? Because they actually say "Thank you" and appear to appreciate my business, which is rare here in LA.
    - Joe

Quote Originally Posted by borracho View Post
    The coffee booths burnini is awesome. It's a breakfast burrito that they put in their panini press. Something about having a crispy-ish tortilla for a breakfast burrito makes it taste better IMO.
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 90supra View Post
    I've been wondering how Rigoberto's is. May have to try it out here soon. There's also Hot Rocks which I think is pretty good.
    I went to Rigoberto's for lunch once and it was nasty. Haven't worked up the courage to go back again.

Hot Rocks has the best green chile I've found in Los Alamos, breakfast burritos are great there.

I <3 NM
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    Another option on weekdays is the grill down in Totavi at the gas station. My personal favorite is Knapp's Wraps, run out of a small trailer parked out front of Metzgers in White Rock. Why, you ask? Because they actually say "Thank you" and appear to appreciate my business, which is rare here in LA.
    - Joe
    I second this recommendation. I found myself getting lunch there 1-2x per week. Extra bonus was eating it at the Overlook Park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Knapp's Wrap got a lot of my money last summer when I worked down there. Breakfast burrito steak xmas. So tasty

mtbr member
    +1 for the Coffee Booth.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about Rigoberto's, so I don't think I'll be moseying in there soon.
    "You'll thank me when it's all said and done"

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 90supra View Post
    Knapp's Wrap got a lot of my money last summer when I worked down there. Breakfast burrito steak xmas. So tasty
    I almost got one this morning on the way in to work cause I left my carne adovada and eggs at home

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by Crap_Stick View Post
    Roll your own.
    Still talking burritos, right?