Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I ride with tools

GITA Sunday - South Boundary Trail option A

Here is how I'm gonna work it. Anyone who wants to join me is welcome. If anyone wants to do something longer / shorter / later / earlier, then go for it!

Meet at The Bean at 8:30. Out of consideration for those who have to drive a long way after the ride, if you need to buy coffee or food, use the restroom, have a safety meeting, or read your tarot cards, get there ealier and get 'er done.

The convoy will leave The Bean at 8:40 and roll over to El Nogal campground where we will leave at least one shuttle recovery vehicle. Then up the canyon to Valle Escondido to RIDE!

mtbr member
    you know I'm in it to win it. see you Sat. I'll have to ask friday night where to meet you.

you never know I may get a wild hair and drive all night and you'll see my car in your driveway when you get up. so i can ride the RR ride. (but I really doubt that)
    b

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    never done the group mtbr ride thing before, but this is a good weekend for me to ride sbt, so I'm thinking I may join you guys, if you don't mind.

I'll let you know if I'm in tomorrow or saturday. If it happens I'll be driving from s.fe.

crd
    ride like a girl
    It should be FANTASTIC!

Bring coolers for post-ride. Also, wonderful mexican food (cheap) nearby...

mtbr member
    If I can pull it I am down with some South Boundary. Anyone else goin up from Santa Fe? wanna car pool? I will get there early for my safety meeting and Cubano so as to not hold you up Robert. I know how precious your time is. Since this is a shuttle, Should I bring the big hit bike?

crd
    ride like a girl
    Quote Originally Posted by SSweetleaf
    Since this is a shuttle, Should I bring the big hit bike?
    I woudn't; there is still a good amount of climbing!

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Last edited by lacticacidbath; 09-25-2009 at 09:08 PM.

Bandolero
    If I can pull it I am down with some South Boundary. Anyone else goin up from Santa Fe? wanna car pool? I will get there early for my safety meeting and Cubano so as to not hold you up Robert. I know how precious your time is. Since this is a shuttle, Should I bring the big hit bike?
    Now you go.

banned
    yes, but he will be in a sea of spandex....more his style, I guess.....
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 09-25-2009 at 05:48 PM.

crap magnet
    Tim, I'll take you up on that carpool if it's still available. I'll call you Saturday.
    When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam
    Here is how I'm gonna work it. Anyone who wants to join me is welcome. If anyone wants to do something longer / shorter / later / earlier, then go for it!

Meet at The Bean at 8:30. Out of consideration for those who have to drive a long way after the ride, if you need to buy coffee or food, use the restroom, have a safety meeting, or read your tarot cards, get there ealier and get 'er done.

The convoy will leave The Bean at 8:40 and roll over to El Nogal campground where we will leave at least one shuttle recovery vehicle. Then up the canyon to Valle Escondido to RIDE!
    Sorry about the late start everyone. I should have balked early on knowing that I'd be breaking camp up at Camp May in the AM and then driving from LA to Taos. And then I also owe thanks to you all for waiting for my slow self on the the ride. It was a great time, but OMG... so much climbing! After two hard GITA days, my legs were noodles. oh well, it was worth it to *finally* ride the infamous SBT. I didn't get too many pics - here are a few...
    Attached Images Attached Images

crap magnet

Nice to finally meet you Kathleen.

And the others too. Here's a few more shots.

When you find yourself on the side of the majority it's time to pause and reflect.
    -Mark Twain

I <3 NM
    It's not a party until someone breaks out the potato cannon!

"Someone must have put alcohol in my beer last night." ~ Mr. Richard Baty, Esq.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What a fun ride with a really diverse great group of people. Sorry I scared away the biggest elk I have ever seen before you guys got to the turnoff. He really scared the crap out of me, I don't think I need anymore eye to eye encounters with anything that large for a while.

What was that whiskey again? I can still taste it.

Nice to meet new people and catch up with old friends, you all come up and ride anytime, couch is normally open although you may have to wrestle for it.

Skinny dehydrated guy with a beer and a half = drunk. It is fun to mess with Jim Beam, he only seems prickly.

Good to see Maka back in the saddle and surly as ever.

I forget the big red headed guys name but he can ride, nice to see a big dude stomping it.

Good day, fun times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What does "GITA" stand for?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Gaspin' in the Aspens

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    What does "GITA" stand for?

mtbr member
    look at those colors! I really missed out. Glad you all had fun!
    b

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by greg de taos

What was that whiskey again? I can still taste it.

Good day, fun times.
    That is Stranahans

Was great riding with everyone. Wish I could of seen Todds mishap

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    That is Stranahans
    Bottle ordered, thanks Tim. yummmm

Kathleen in AZ
    Did anyone take a GPS track of the route on Sunday? I'd love to see a map view of what we did, as well as know the distance, climbing, and descending.

crap magnet
    I realized I forgot to turn on my GPS about 2 hours into the ride. Typical for me. At that point I figured why bother. Greg usually rides with a GPS but I didn't notice one on his bike Sunday. I'm sure he can give some pretty accurate info regarding climb/mileage even if he didn't have one.
    -Mark Twain

crap magnet

Don't despair.

Wish I could of seen Todds mishap
    There will be other opportunities. You just need to ride with us cycling mortals in the back of the pack.
    -Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I did not ride with GPS but I have for that ride a few times.

I will post up the stats tonight as I am supposed to be working. So far today I have brewed a batch of beer, made some brandy and spent a couple of hours online. Whew, tough work, but now, to the grindstone!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Well, I would love to post a beautiful map but there is a little problem with one section of the SBT. Right near Bear Spring, there is no elevation data. No matter how I try it, it always says no elevation data, I have ridden with the GPS up there a hundred times with the same result every time. Could someone smarter than me explain this please?

So.. no profile, I did it by hand, should be very close as there is only one point with corrupted data.

Robert did 32.18 miles
    We did 33.86

Total climbing for the Jaracita crowd was (drum roll please)....4825. No wonder it hurt.

Can't wait to do it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast