Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gita, 2008

banned

Gita, 2008

Well if it is going to happen might as well start a new thread. I am game for any date, so you guys can hash that out. I am more interested in the rides.

1. I definitely think that AV road to RR to Upper Winsor ( many good options after upper Winsor )is a winner and no GITA attendee from out of state has ridden RR as far as I know of or REM for that matter. Friday Ride?

2. Crash in SF @ Aspen Ranch or some can head directly to Paj. The gravity folks can have a day at Pajarito and those wanting a good dose of XC/AM can hit Guaje on Saturday.

3. Potluck maybe music and a warm fire at Camp May before the northerners hit the traditional SBT and those heading west may opt for east fork on Sunday.

Sound like a plan? Either weekend of the 26th or the 4th work for me.

Single Speed Junkie
    Lets just call GITA for the 26th.

Rides are being sorted out. Plenty o camping, or crash in ABQ.

I'll default to those who know the trails better for ride selections, but would like to see a SS friendly epic thrown into the mix.

mtbr member
    Gotta warn you... Guaje was not very fun about two weeks ago due to it being badly overgrown. I wouldn't want to take outta-towners on that trail in its current state; they may never return to NM. But then again, Rotmilky just went up there with his loppers and a broken derailleur. I don't know how his trimming session went.
    there can be only one... track

banned
    Guess it could be a first for GITA then. A whole day of lift assisted DH for the GITA clan unless you guys in LA know of an alternate ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NM_Highlander
    Gotta warn you... Guaje was not very fun about two weeks ago due to it being badly overgrown. I wouldn't want to take outta-towners on that trail in its current state; they may never return to NM. But then again, Rotmilky just went up there with his loppers and a broken derailleur. I don't know how his trimming session went.
    I rode up GR backwards and broke the derailleur before getting to the overgrown area...turned around and came back. No lopping done. I plan on trying to get up there this weekend if I can cobble a derailleur together. I think it should be cleared enough to ride before GITA

If GR is not rideable, I think we can do one of two things:
    1) Guaje Canyon was just cleared by Neal. Maybe do a GC run instead.
    2) Do a Jemez 2-fer on Sat. Calaveros/Cebollo loop ride (would be beautiful) and then catch East Fork on the way back
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    Whateva! I am riding the lifts. I can see lots of Aspens from the lift!

mtbr member
    I'm interested! What does GITA stand for?
    Thanks!

Mythical Creature
    Guaje Canyon sounds great! FWIW - there is TONS of riding for non lift-served types at the ski area, near the ski area, and all over Los Alamos and the Jemez...

GITA = Gaspin In The Aspens

Quote Originally Posted by uconn1150
    I'm interested! What does GITA stand for?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by glenzx; 09-05-2008 at 10:40 AM.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Mythical Creature
    It could never be as bad as last years Tadpole Ridge adventure in the GILA though!

Gauje Canyon sounds worthy... what would the ride be? Up and out via Rendija? Or can we come up and out via 3 bears / Cabra? Seems like we could make a serious epic.

Quote Originally Posted by NM_Highlander
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123

1. I definitely think that AV road to RR to Upper Winsor ( many good options after upper Winsor )is a winner and no GITA attendee from out of state has ridden RR as far as I know of or REM for that matter.
    To be clear, we'd park (or ride for us locals) to/at the start of the dirt road at Pacheco Canyon, or in En Medio, then climb 5k - 6k and then descend Ravens Ridge and Rio en Medio, eh? Sounds suitably brutal for lower elevation folks. I'd suggest a shuttle option to Aspen Vista for those who 'only' want or need 2k feet in climbing up a dirt road with monstrously epic views... overall a good plan though!

I'd also likely opt (any could join) to come down through the ski Basin and skip Ravens Ridge / Upper Winsor - as that stuff is more fun on skis than a bike (for me). It would be mandatory for all to check out the views from Deception Peak though (just above RR)! Few places in the region are that stunning.
    follow me on Twitter!

Kathleen in AZ
    What was that ride that Jen opened up her shin on last year? I never did get to do that downhill. I think I'd wear armor this time... but I'm open to whatever. Thanks for posting up the new thread!

banned
    That would be E. Fork/Battleship which is a good ride option for Saturday while we are having a mellow day at the lifts. Suppose the folks coming from AZ could hit SBT, SF, Cochite, Flag? on your way home on Sunday. Sounds Good!

mtbr member
    How advanced are the rides? I've only been biking since April.

banned
    Pretty advanced...are you coordinated, athletically inclined.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    What was that ride that Jen opened up her shin on last year? I never did get to do that downhill. I think I'd wear armor this time... but I'm open to whatever. Thanks for posting up the new thread!
    That is up in Jemez area, cant recall the trail Battleship maybe???

mtbr member

Saturday options for XC

I'll take lead on the Sat. XC portion of GITA. (unless someone else wants to). This is for the people who don't want to do the Pajarito lift runs. There are several options that we can do around LA/Jemez so I'll throw them out there and see what people want to do. Three potential rides with variations are listed below:

Guaje Canyon
    This is an unburnt portion of the Santa Fe national forest that lies a little N of Guaje ridge. Doubtful it's been ridden in past GITA unless they happened before 2000. It has rarely been ridden by anyone since the fire of 2000, but the trail is a smooth fast singletrack all the way to the reservoir. There's 1500ft of beautiful singletrack descent over 4 miles till you hit the reservoir. At that point, you have to either continue down the old burn road...recently cleared but not pretty and some hike-a-bike and ungodly rocky, or climb back up Mitchell to Guaje Ridge. The climb is about a mile long and is probably hike-a-bike. Here's my ride report from early summer:
    Guaje Canyon ride report

1a) Quemazon - pipeline - GC-Mitchell-GR: 2500 ft of climbing up Que & pipeline. Quemazon is so much fun to ride that it's worth it. Descend GC, hike-a-bike up Mitchell and then end on GR. Ride distance ~ 17miles. 3 hour climb, 2-3 hours on descent.

1b) Camp May-GC-Mitchell-GR: Start up at ski hill to cut out most of climb. Still a couple hundred feet of climbing to get up Canada Bonita (and it's is incredibly bonita) to hit GC. Then down GC, up Mitchell, and end on GR. Ride distance ~15 miles 1 hour climb, 2-3 hour descent.

I don't think continuing down GC road is a great option. It's a tough ride in the bottom of a hot canyon. Better to just walk up Mitchell to get to GR...much better ride finish there, plus we can hit 3 bears, Cabra loop or Pajarito trail to end the day. Travel time to these rides ranges from 5-20 minutes from LA.

Calaveros/Cebollo loop & East Fork
    2 rides here. The first is a ride up Calaveras canyon and down Cebollo canyon back to the start point. Ride is through rolling grass-covered canyons surrounded by pines and aspen. Not very technical...with one short steep climb along pipeline road. Loop is a lazy 14 miles. Never ridden in GITA and probably only ridden by about 3 people in the state. Ride report here
    Calaveros/Cebollo ride report Three hours for loop.
    On the way back to LA, we pass by both Battleship Rock & Las Conchas parking lots, so we can easily shuttle this ride. Ridden last GITA. This is the ride that caused a pretty nasty shin injury last year. It's a beautiful ride through pine/aspen forests. It climbs a couple hundred feet from Las Conchas and then drops another 2000 or so down to battleship rock parking lot. It's pretty smooth singletrack interspersed with some nasty rocky techy sections. Total distance is about 10-12 miles from Las Conchas to East Fork.
    East Fork ride report 2-3 hours for ride.

Drive to Calaveras/Cebollo is about 45 mins from LA. We pass shuttle lots and trailhead for East fork on the way back. Time to drive from Battleship PL Las Conchas PL is about 30-40 minutes. We can snag the shuttle vehicles on way back to LA.

2a) Calaveras/Cebollo followed by East Fork
    2b) Just East Fork.

Guaje Ridge
    This is the local epic ride and has been ridden in past GITA. About 12-18 miles of sweet technical singletrack. The upper parts are in old growth forests, the lower half is in the 'post-apocalypic' burn region. If you like a good technical ride, this one is hard to beat.
    Guaje Ridge ride report

3a) Perimeter-Quemazon-Pipeline-GR: About 2500' of climbing up Que/PL, then 12 miles of descent down GR. Can end on 3 bears, Cabra, or Pajarito Trail depending on desire. ~18 miles of singletrack. Technical singletrack oriented ride.
    3b) Camp May-Pipeline GR-3B/Cabra/PT-Perimeter: Starting at ski hill, up through Canada Bonita, then following pipeline to GR. Down GR to 3B/Cabra/Pajarito Trail. These all end at Cemetary. Take perimeter back to High School for suds. Loads of techy singletrack, but less than 3a.

Travel time for 3 is about 5-20 minutes from LA.

You can search for other threads on Guaje Ridge and East Fork (Battleship Rock). Both have numerous other ride reports than what I listed. Calaveras/Cebollo and Guaje Canyon have only the listed threads. They're not heavily ridden.

Anyone else want to offer suggestions, I'm open to them. There are lots of other rides around, but views of changing aspen might suffer.

Edit: We don't have to ride LA/Jemez at Sat. There are some beautiful rides elsewhere, like SF or Taos. SBT, the TSV-Red River ride we did a coule weeks ago, and numerous SF rides come to mind. I don't ride those areas enough to lead the rides though.
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

Vita brevis
    If you guys are going to shuttle Los Chonchas\Battleship and want a longer ride, you might want to start a couple of miles farther up the road at FR 280. Ride up the dirt road about three or four miles to the top of Peralta Ridge, turn right just before the cattleguard, and take Peralta-Peliza singletrack to Corral Canyon trail, which dumps you out on hwy 4 a mile above Los Chonchas. It is a fun descent (easy) that adds a few miles to the ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fragilie
    Quote Originally Posted by rustus
    If you guys are going to shuttle Los Chonchas\Battleship and want a longer ride, you might want to start a couple of miles farther up the road at FR 280. Ride up the dirt road about three or four miles to the top of Peralta Ridge, turn right just before the cattleguard, and take Peralta-Peliza singletrack to Corral Canyon trail, which dumps you out on hwy 4 a mile above Los Chonchas. It is a fun descent (easy) that adds a few miles to the ride.
    I rode LC/BS with that option thrown in the last time I was up there. Makes it more worth the trip for sure.
    It's Better To Die On Your Feet Than To Live On Your Knees. (Emiliano Zapata)

A Guy Who is Going Places
    I'll be @ Pajarito in Saturday with a full trailer of '09 Demos, fresh from Interbike.

I'm highly interested in doing the SBT on Sunday. Anyone who wants to demo can do so. I can also facilitate shuttleage.

Gallup on Thursday?
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Great write-up, Von! Lots of good options. I've no opinion, as I'll be riding in CO w/ the missus that weekend. But I'll be hitting Guaje Canyon all the way to Rendija on the 20th w/ a few buds, and can give you a ride report of the lower end afterward if you'd like.
    - Joe

Mythical Creature
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    I'll be @ Pajarito in Saturday with a full trailer of '09 Demos, fresh from Interbike.

I'm highly interested in doing the SBT on Sunday. Anyone who wants to demo can do so. I can also facilitate shuttleage.

Gallup on Thursday?
    Holy Moly.

Might 'have to' try out some bigger bikes at PAJ then!!!
    follow me on Twitter!

mtbr member
    Are these Yeti demos? I hear a Yeti day may be in the works. If so, that would be great and would make for a cool change to the GITA format. Everything up on Pajarito Mtn. is super fun (from the easier trails to the craziest FR stuff). Plus with the live music and the local breweries it would be a great addition to a social gathering like GITA is. I'll be there for sure.
    there can be only one... track

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    Holy Moly.

Might 'have to' try out some bigger bikes at PAJ then!!!
    Me too!!! Got any "big" bikes in size small? I think I might need a lift-assisted gravity day

mtbr member
    Sounds like everyone wants to hit Pajarito on Sat. With a trailer load of Yetis and a band/beer fest going on, I can't say I'm surprised. I'm going to cancel the XC rides unless loads of people pipe up.

'Tis fine with me. I'll be able to join in on the Fri and Sun rides.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Also curious if this is the Yeti demo? I had heard that was on Ullr fest weekend? the 27th or is that the weekend being discussed. Sorry i'm a little lost.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast