Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

GITA 09 inquiries

4K views 78 replies 18 participants last post by  icegeek 
#1 ·
I was thinkin' would someone want to help coordinate a GITA for 09?

Perhaps even in conjunction with the Urllfest at Pajarito?

Saturday September 26 (Ullrfest)

Then Sunday; the always fabulous South Boundary?

Anthony loved this ride:
http://www.anthonysloan.com/gita081.html

So, whatdoyasay??

#29 ·
IttyBittyBetty said:
DG - wear your armor on that nasty trail (something near the Jemez River)! It was a really fun trail, especially the rocky DH part I wrecked on.

I actually hadn't thought of heading down this year, but let me see what Jesper thinks....
That was on the East Fork/Battleship ride.

#34 ·
crd said:
is anyone interested in camping? How about a partee? The ski hill is having their Urll fest on Saturday, so there will be a festival at the lodge: Fall Mountain Celebration Beer Tasting Live Band.

I know planning this this is semi-difficult, but those who want something; voice your opinion!
I'm going to try to make it. Camping above the ski area and fest sound fun. SBT on sunday? Any thought of hiring a shuttle for that.

#35 ·
greg de taos said:
What can I do to help up here? SBT Sunday? Anyone want to hang out and do Lost Lake On Monday? Garcia Park camping on Sunday night. I dunno. Let me know what I can do.
How about a Lost Lake ride on Saturday?

That would give the pedal-peeps an alternative to Paja lift riding. (I'm looking out for you here BrianC)

#36 ·
greg should be able to work out the shuttle logistics. A few of us will not be heading to Taos for the SBT. We plan on being up there next month, gregg (I'll PM you with some details). That said, if anyone else is looking for an alpine experience we should be able to arrange a Santa Fe Ride. I'm definitely in for Friday at Battleship and Paj on Saturday.

#37 ·
I can put something together for Saturday, Lost Lake or something more strenuous if the need arises. :D

Here is my take on the SBT and shuttle. I am more than happy to shuttle people. I can fit up to 6 bikes of the XC variety or five of the bigger type. I don't drive all the way to Black Lake, it is too long a drive for the little bit you gain. If anyone wants to ride that section of trail I would be happy to ride down there from the top of Osha.
Of late though we have been trying to please everyone by driving up to Garcia Park. You have to climb up to the top one way or the other, you might as well do the best and most comfortable climb possible.
From Garcia you can climb up (sorta up with the first 2 miles being down) then a good climb from Quintana Pass to Osha Mountain. Or you can climb Jaracita and go down SBT (my favorite).
Those that are done upon returning to Garcia can be done and get a ride down, the rest can ride into town and all meet at the bottom.

#38 ·
greg de taos said:
I can put something together for Saturday, Lost Lake or something more strenuous if the need arises. :D

Here is my take on the SBT and shuttle. I am more than happy to shuttle people. I can fit up to 6 bikes of the XC variety or five of the bigger type. I don't drive all the way to Black Lake, it is too long a drive for the little bit you gain. If anyone wants to ride that section of trail I would be happy to ride down there from the top of Osha.
Of late though we have been trying to please everyone by driving up to Garcia Park. You have to climb up to the top one way or the other, you might as well do the best and most comfortable climb possible.
From Garcia you can climb up (sorta up with the first 2 miles being down) then a good climb from Quintana Pass to Osha Mountain. Or you can climb Jaracita and go down SBT (my favorite).
Those that are done upon returning to Garcia can be done and get a ride down, the rest can ride into town and all meet at the bottom.
SBT is rad, but some freshies would be better. Most of us have done SBT quite a few times, even some of the outta town folk like BrianC and Rich.

Are there longer Lost Lake routes than the one you, Roberto and Co. just did? What else could you string together around Red River/North Taos? Singletrack, high altitude, maybe some techy bits thrown in?

#39 ·
You can get to Lost Lake from TSV and back again. Starts at 10,000' get up and over at 12,000. Depending on how you do it at least 8000' climbing. Some of the best views ever. Serious back country. And with me, always the hope of getting a bit lost. If you guys are down for that I am in. Will post some maps as soon as I get out from under this summers paperwork that I mostly ignored.

#40 ·
greg de taos said:
You can get to Lost Lake from TSV and back again. Starts at 10,000' get up and over at 12,000. Depending on how you do it at least 8000' climbing. Some of the best views ever. Serious back country. And with me, always the hope of getting a bit lost. If you guys are down for that I am in. Will post some maps as soon as I get out from under this summers paperwork that I mostly ignored.
8000ft of climbing may be a bit much for some of the lower elevation folk. Frankly that kinda scares me...

When you have time toss out a few options and we'll go from there.

Thx

#44 ·
three big downhills and 8000'

Of course I am in. This is what I draw up. If GITA wants to go here we could do a bail car in RR It is a great up and over with only 3000 vertical, some may want to do Lost Lake as well and then still be able to bail to RR. I want to climb back over and do Long Canyon (Never Long Enough Canyon)! Profile is for entire ride. I am getting no paper work done.

Bryan, I think we need our own thread for our ride. This pertains to all.

Attachments

#45 ·
AndyN said:
SBT is rad, but some freshies would be better. Most of us have done SBT quite a few times, even some of the outta town folk like BrianC and Rich.

Are there longer Lost Lake routes than the one you, Roberto and Co. just did? What else could you string together around Red River/North Taos? Singletrack, high altitude, maybe some techy bits thrown in?
I've never done SBT! but high altitude ST with tech sounds good to me too.

#47 ·
AndyN said:
I think SBT is still on the plate for Sunday...
I would like to ride SBT. the version Jim Beam took us on would get my vote. great climb short shuttle, still ride all the good stuff. :thumbsup:

and the lost lake Red River ride on Sat looks outstanding. fair bit of driving if I stay in SF or the group camps in LA, but that's ok with me. I'm not so sure about the 8000' death march...that would end my weekend of riding.

b

#48 ·
brianc said:
I would like to ride SBT. the version Jim Beam took us on would get my vote. great climb short shuttle, still ride all the good stuff. :thumbsup:

and the lost lake Red River ride on Sat looks outstanding. fair bit of driving if I stay in SF or the group camps in LA, but that's ok with me. I'm not so sure about the 8000' death march...that would end my weekend of riding.

b
That SBT route is awesome for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.