mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Getting to South Boundary Trail via Garcia Park?

So I'm going to give the legendary SBT a try on Monday afternoon. I don't have all day to do it so I'm going access it via Garcia park. How rough is the road and how do you get there? I undersand it's a a bit rough; but I'm confient my Jeep Rubicon will handle any roughness well. I did look on google earth and it seems like the best access to Garcia park is via FR 437 off US 64 the like 7 miles to Garcia park? Thanks

but i want to ride now
    Last I rode SBT (last june) the road was easily drivable in a normal road car, should be no trouble in Jeep. And yes, that is the preferred method getting to Garcia Park.
    sweet sweet trails

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aldousfilcher View Post
    Last I rode SBT (last june) the road was easily drivable in a normal road car, should be no trouble in Jeep. And yes, that is the preferred method getting to Garcia Park.
    Thanks so much for the info! So I'm assuming it doesn't take too long to get to Garcia park from the highway 64? I was picturing 7 miles of crawl speed lol.

banned
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by krazymatt View Post
    Thanks so much for the info! So I'm assuming it doesn't take too long to get to Garcia park from the highway 64? I was picturing 7 miles of crawl speed lol.
    It should take you about 20/30 minutes depending on how sensitive you are over the bumps. The faster the better. . It's not that bad, but I assume you have a driver to meet you back in town, yes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tres Bottelas View Post
    It should take you about 20/30 minutes depending on how sensitive you are over the bumps. The faster the better. . It's not that bad, but I assume you have a driver to meet you back in town, yes?
    No I'm just going to ride out and back in both directions from Garcia park to get familiar with the trail. Thanks!

banned
    May 2014
    No I'm just going to ride out and back in both directions from Garcia park to get familiar with the trail. Thanks!
    Interesting. Have fun, it's a great trail.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Ewww. That climb back up is going to be fun. Tres is right though, fun ride.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Ewww. That climb back up is going to be fun. Tres is right though, fun ride.
    What climb? Please do familiarize me!

Airborne Flight Crew
    From what I recall, the trail ends with a really fun descent down to 64. You'll have to climb back up that, which is probably doable by a person with better legs than I (meaning, about anyone), but I would think it a little ambitious?

Of course, you don't have to go all the way to the end either. Someone else will probably chime in, but in the meantime, there's an elevation profile here:

South Boundary Trail Mountain Bike Trail, Taos, NM

Your Rubicon will be fine on the road up.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks for all the info guys. I went got a little lost trying to find FR 437. I was thrown off by all the signs at that Valle Escondido resort area that I missed the turn off. Lost about 20 minutes so I didn't get as much riding as I would've like to but I had fun and got to experience a 4 mile out and back ride back towards Angel fire from Garcia park. I intended to get to the drop down towards angel fire but ran into a giant tree that blocked the trail bad. I probably could've hiked through all the poison ive and extreme thicket of trees but I figured I better head back as it was approaching 4:30 and I still had to make the 2.5 hour ride back home. Nice trail. I'd like to do the entire length if I can find someone to join someday.

banned
    May 2014
    Thanks for all the info guys. I went got a little lost trying to find FR 437. I was thrown off by all the signs at that Valle Escondido resort area that I missed the turn off. Lost about 20 minutes so I didn't get as much riding as I would've like to but I had fun and got to experience a 4 mile out and back ride back towards Angel fire from Garcia park. I intended to get to the drop down towards angel fire but ran into a giant tree that blocked the trail bad. I probably could've hiked through all the poison ive and extreme thicket of trees but I figured I better head back as it was approaching 4:30 and I still had to make the 2.5 hour ride back home. Nice trail. I'd like to do the entire length if I can find someone to join someday.
    I'm guessing by the description that you rode Heaven on Earth. That was a pretty good choice considering your logistics.

Thread Pollution

No good

There is no poison ivy on that trail
    SingleSpeed,in the way
    Amateur
    Dogs over Cats

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tres Bottelas View Post
    I'm guessing by the description that you rode Heaven on Earth. That was a pretty good choice considering your logistics.
    I believe you are correct. It was awesome. I need a riding partner next time. I'll try and hit it again after the summer rains subside some.