Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    saddlemeat

Gallup/Zuni Mts trail conditions...

The Zuni Mts trails are mostly dry and in good shape, although there may still be a few soft spots. Please don't leave ruts and repair them if you inadvertently do. There is a spot on Lost Lake Rim where some ruts are still visible from 4 years ago, but they are easy to repair when they are still soft.

We are in the NEPA Study process on approximately 125 miles of new proposed routes in the western Zuni Mts. The ground survey work has been completed, and we are awaiting the final decision details, but obviously there will be a lot of new trail and more trailheads built in the next few years. Multi day bikepacking trips will be possible, with spectacular views and secluded camping opportunities.

We had a decent snowfall this past winter so I don't expect forest closures beyond the typical pre-Memorial Day campfire ban, which lasts until the mid-July monsoon brings up the summer rainstorms.

We are looking forward to an exciting racing season this year. The annual 24 Hours In The Enchanted Forest is hosting the Nationals, and the staging area will move to the McGaffey Campground and Day Use Facilities. The Zuni Mountain 100 is in it's 6th annual running, and will feature a reversed route this year. The race is hosted by the Gallup Trails Annual Party. I'm looking forward to seeing many of you this riding season, perhaps enjoying a post ride brew or two on the recently added Cabin 34 front porch.

24 Hours in the Enchanted Forest | Zia Rides - 12 & 24 Hour Mountain Bike Races
    Zuni Mountain 100 | New Mexico Endurance Series
    Gallup Trails
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update Bill!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Great news about the conditions and forthcoming trailwork. I have been watching that process over the last few years with the work of the Zuni Mountain Trail Alliance.

Ive been doing some bikepacking at the southeastern end of the range since last summer on the old logging roads - just stunning scenery and never seen another human soul (a few elk and some turkeys though). Headed out there weekend after next for an overnighter with my son. Scouted it (Bonita Canyon across from the Zuni-Acoma trailhead off SR53) and conditions were great.

High Alpine Adventure
    Hey Bill,

We are planning to ride the High Desert Course on Saturday. How much snow did you folks get and do you think the course will be ridable?
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

saddlemeat
    ^I think the course will be fabulous! We needed a little moisture on it, and that's all we really got.

High Alpine Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by bsieb View Post
    ^I think the course will be fabulous! We needed a little moisture on it, and that's all we really got.
    Good to hear... thanks for the feedback!
    Dug-Da-Goat

Something changes at 12,000'
    ...so welcome to the Odyssey!

Building your trails at FooMTB

saddlemeat
    There is still a lot of snow in the Zuni Mountains from the most recent snowstorm, and the trails are pretty sloppy in places. I couldn't believe how much more snow is up here. It will dry quickly if we get some sunny skies but it's been overcast so far. Just a heads up, I'll post an update later today.

Gallup HDT is still good to go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Any more details on Zuni conditions? Looking to head out there this weekend on the southern slopes where it is likely a little drier and lower elevation (Bonita Canyon area north of the Zuni-Acoma trailhead). But not sure what happened out there over the last week.

saddlemeat
    The trails are good to ride at the western end, probably good out there too. We have not had much moisture this week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks, I did head out for an overnighter last Sunday to Monday with my boy up Bonita Canyon (north of Zuni-Acoma trailhead). Conditions were excellent!

Gallup/Zuni Mts trail conditions...-8676286415_273f854387_c.jpg

Gallup/Zuni Mts trail conditions...-8677401096_52dba7dcdd_c.jpg

Gallup/Zuni Mts trail conditions...-8676316051_2db3af023d_c.jpg

Gallup/Zuni Mts trail conditions...-8677379682_39edd165da_c.jpg

Gallup/Zuni Mts trail conditions...-8676308341_fcf9afe01c_c.jpg

shred my gnar
    hey there, neighbor from flagstaff checking in. im working just west of gallup in az (sanders). going to be working on and off on this project until march of next year and staying in gallup while on the project.

finally got to sample the hdts a couple times last week and I gotta say I was super impressed. not sure I've ever ridden a spot where more was done with less. totally kick ass trail system in the what looks like such an unassuming bunch of little mesas from town. some of the best routing I've seen... kudos to all those involved in developing that system.

really looking forward to checking out the zunis soon but I want to max out my time on the hdts for now... I don't get off work and to the th until 5-6 right now and will be a bit earlier soon as we start as the sun allows.

a few questions for locals/those in the know:

-is there any more techy or even gravity oriented stuff near gallup? I'm aware of hdts and the Zunis so far... am I missing out on anything else?

- beer ... are there any beer stores in town that have a good craft selection? love being able to get happy camper for 7.99/sixer ... its 10-11/sixer in flag.

- beer... any good bars with some interesting stuff on tap? any good places to have a few in general. I haven't been getting into town until after dark until recently so I haven't really had a chance to explore much.

- food... I've hit el matate a few times which I really dig. What else is good that I shouldn't miss out on?!?

Thanks for any input... can't wait to check out more trails this week!

saddlemeat
    I know more about beer than gravity/techy stuff... you can get Marble Brewing Co. IPA and Red at Albertson's, and La Cumbre Elevated IPA at The Rocket Cafe liquor store. Sammy C's and The Coal Street Pub have decent selections on tap, mediocre bar food. Jerry's Cafe is a bit of a cult restaurant, great rellenos. Allicia's in the back of the Lowe's at 66 ave and Ford is my current favorite New Mexican food. The 49er Lounge at the El Rancho Hotel has decent food and the Marble beers.

shred my gnar
    thanks for the reply!

ive been hitting the albertsons for marble and sante fe... they have odells as well so that seems to be the go to if there arent any liquor stores with a craft selection. glad to hear someone has la cumbre elevated... love that stuff.

will def have to try allicia's.

from the high points on the hdts it looks like all that terrain to ne of town looks to have some serious potential but i suppose that is rez land... not likely to have any (legal) trails. hell, it looks like there is good terrain in pretty much every direction to be honest.

looking foward to exploring the zunis when i have more time in a month or so.

is the bike shop (high meas??) still around?

saddlemeat
    Lots of trail NE of town but you will need someone to show you.

Current LBS is Sports World, 1500 S 2Nd St, Gallup, NM 87301-5862 (505-722-3055)

Join gallup-group-ride@googlegroups.com for local ride info, usually group rides Wed evenings and Sunday afternoons.

The Hilso Trailhead in the Zunis is 20 minutes from town, fyi.

shred my gnar
    nice... getting more and more excited to explore. those mesas off to the ne look pretty cool from a distance. gonna have to join up with some folks... return guiding in flagstaff of course!

mtbr member
    If you want a legit burger hit up 505 Burgers and wings.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-5...61837120589108

Send a PM if you are interested in checking out some primitive trails 40 minutes NW of Gallup on the Defiance Plateau. Lots of great riding out here.

shred my gnar
    awesome... thanks. ive worked in that area and there is def some nice country up there.

really appreciate all the gallup beta.

hit-up hdts again yesterday evening and snuck in 2 hours. ive decided i need 2 things... a much lighter bike and some sand paddles. pedaling my 34 lb steed around those mesas is a bit much!

burger question... how do nm locals feel about lotaburger? almost a cult following it seems from out-of-staters. what do the n.mexicans think... crap, great, whatever???

saddlemeat
    ^Lotaburger is the only fast food burger I would personally eat. 505 Burgers are awesome (but greasy) a couple times a year, Grampa's Grill has great wood grilled burgers. Fratelli's has a couple good beers (Modus Hoperandi, Ska Brewing's Porter) on tap and good pasta, pizza, gelatto.

Yep, HDT is the perfect rigid SS trail.

shred my gnar
    my back hurts just thinking about rigid a fork.

my guts stir and my co-workers run from me just thinking about a green chile lotaburger.

shred my gnar
    i finally made it out to the zunis yesterday after three weeks of hitting the hdt 2-3x a week. i have no idea if you all utilize the same trail names as the signs but i rode quaking aspen>turkey nest>smokin handlebar>berma, as i didnt have much time.

i must admit i was getting kinda bored by the turkey nest>handlebar section and then had a f'n blast coming down berma... def wasnt expecting all the fun corners and jumps. great end to a short ride!

what are some of yalls go-to loops out there? i ask bc there are so many different variations... one could spend an entire summer trying different loops! how is the stuff across the road like purple haze and lower sawmill? how about mikes, strawberry canyon, tampico/etc?? i was scoping quasimoto from berma yesterday and that looks promising as far as possibly being more techy.

again, you guys in the gallup area have done a great job with these trail systems that are "multi-use" but clearly had a builders eye towards bikes.

oh, and thanks bsieb for the heads-up on the rocket liquor store carrying elevated ipa... holy crap i didnt realize how good that stuff is. i tried it on tap once and i remember liking it but not this much... i put it right up there with my fav west coast hop bombs. really incredible ipa.

mtbr member
    I just did my first ride out there last week. .. going down quakeing aspen is lots of fun.... so climb aspen up handel bars. Then do the must ride down burma. Then climb y2k turkey to the hidden lake and blast down aspen.... .... on a side note i got lost looking for the rock climbing area and found an awesome freeride playground

mtbr member
    For someone who hasn't ridden in the area (only been in NM a few years), is that more 29er hardtail territory or 6" AM? Nothing like bringing a knife to a gunfight...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    For someone who hasn't ridden in the area (only been in NM a few years), is that more 29er hardtail territory or 6" AM? Nothing like bringing a knife to a gunfight...
    Yes. But im a biased 29er fan boy

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Six inches of travel would be more like bringing a gun to a square dance. Oh, wait a minute ... . You're supposed to bring guns to a square dance in NM. Never mind.

saddlemeat
    It's rigid 29er 8 speed IGH territory for me currently, like bringing a glass to a beer fight.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast