Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    shred my gnar
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    For someone who hasn't ridden in the area (only been in NM a few years), is that more 29er hardtail territory or 6" AM? Nothing like bringing a knife to a gunfight...
    as others have mentioned, def 29er hardtail trails... at least those that i have ridden so far. im lugging around a 34# 6" bike with a dropper post on all of the gallup area trails because thats all ive got. my "quiver killer" for the riding i do at home (flagstaff & sedona) has lost that status here in gallup... but it works. if i ever ended-up living in gallup i would def strongly consider picking-up a hardtail 29er... maybe a ss.

no complaints though, i loved having that travel bombing down berma the last 2 days. lots of flat landings, albeit at very high speed, that wouldnt be the same with a hardtail and high seat post.

cant wait to explore further out there... gonna check out quasimoto and milk ranch trail next, i think.

mtbr member
    Sweet, glad to hear. I got a 1x10 on the 29er, so I just wanted to make sure to take the right bikes.

Looks like an area I'd like to ride with the girl and do some car camping. Beautiful area.

saddlemeat
    ... gonna check out quasimoto and milk ranch trail next, i think.

If you ride from Hilso TH a Purple Haze> Upper Milk Ranch> Quasimodo> Burma loop is a good workout, and easy to extend if you still want more. They are some of the more challenging singletracks in the McGaffey area. The 50 miles of the Zuni Mountain 100 route is a real challenge from either direction, can't believe some of the racers do it twice, reversed the second time, in ~8 hours. It can be done from Hilso as well.

By the way, the Zunis are in Stage 1 fire restrictions as of May 10. Basically no campfires except in the campgrounds. Both Quaking Aspen and McGaffey Campgrounds are open this year.

Hope to see y'all at some point, you're always welcome to stop by McGaffey Cabin 34 and have a beer on the porch, also a water hydrant if you're running low.
    A Useful Bear is a handy thing.

shred my gnar
    nice... is upper milk ranch a right or left at the fork?

you work for the cibola?

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by happy_ending View Post
    nice... is upper milk ranch a right or left at the fork?

you work for the cibola?
    Right, in the direction I described above, if you are coming from Purple Haze.

mtbr member
    Had been following this thread and wondering if the High Desert Trail was worth the two hour drive from Abq. Took the chance yesterday and it was most definitely worth it. Whoever put that together did a spectacular job. And we'll have to keep going back until we've at least exhausted your list of places to eat.
    The silhouettes can be a bit unnerving to old guys with less-than-perfect vision. Lost one rider to the bobcat.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    ... Took the chance yesterday and it was most definitely worth it. ...
    I apologize for the condition of the trail on behalf of the 300 or so riders that beat the snot out of it last weekend in the 12hr race. It will be so much nicer after some moisture.

Now you need to ride the Enchanted Forest course near McGaffey. It's as nice as High Desert, but in the forest. Headed there right now myself.

saddlemeat
    Did I mention the El Metate restaurant, little neighborhood place? Their fruit tamales are the ultimate trail snack, pineapple is my favorite.

El Metate Tamale Factory - Gallup, NM

mtbr member
    You had not. Now I have another on my list. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrebyter View Post
    Had been following this thread and wondering if the High Desert Trail was worth the two hour drive from Abq. Took the chance yesterday and it was most definitely worth it. Whoever put that together did a spectacular job. And we'll have to keep going back until we've at least exhausted your list of places to eat.
    The silhouettes can be a bit unnerving to old guys with less-than-perfect vision. Lost one rider to the bobcat.
    try BadLands steak house its yummy!

mtbr member
    My wife and I are thinking about heading up to Gallup this weekend to ride. What trails are ridable? I have done the 24HITEF loop and the east HDT before once. What about that red rock stuff? The bike park?

Thanks
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

saddlemeat
    Everything is rideable, might have to break through some snow now and then on the mountain. It's been quite cold so there is minimal mud, riding early is good, gets cold quickly late afternoon but beautiful warm sunny days of late.

mtbr member
    where can one ride when it is warm and not worry about mud (saw it will be 50ish this weekend)?
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

"babies don't drink coors" - del norte

saddlemeat
    There is not much mud currently, so no need to worry much. If there were much mud I would "urge" you not to ride here. Way things are going we are looking at a dry Spring.

saddlemeat
    The Zuni Mt. riding continues to be fair to good, sections of snow and ice alternating with dry tread with the occasional late afternoon soft muddy spot. Please skirt around the muddy spots by riding a few feet off the trail, rather than leaving a rut or widening the tread. The trail treads are fluffy so expect to ride a gear or two lower. The forest two tracks are a good riding alternative also, or mix and match them with single track. Be sure to layer as the early afternoon sun can get quite warm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gallup/Zuni Mts trail conditions...-26-jan.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Gallup/Zuni Mts trail conditions...

Got a status on Zunis in light of recent snow? Heading out to the southern slopes north if El Morro Natl Mon this weekend and wondering if I should bring the bike...

saddlemeat
    Not sure how much it snowed in the Zunis, haven't been up for a week. We didn't get much in Gallup. Will update later today...

update: folks have been xc skiing so perhaps a bit much for riding.
    Last edited by bsieb; 02-09-2014 at 08:08 AM.

saddlemeat
    This is late for the past weekend, but it's a little sloppy right now, thanks to a couple of inches of snow followed by clear blue skies. Beer drinking is the most appropriate activity for the current conditions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Yes it was too snowy to ride. But beautiful! I hiked instead in Bonita Canyon. Sunday was a lovely warm crisp day and things were drying out fast.

saddlemeat
    Most of th snow is gon on th Zuni Mts. but it's still prtty sloppy if not froz'n. HDT in Gallup is fast.

(kybloard ff'd up, sorry)

saddlemeat
    We got 6" of heavy snow this past weekend so it looks like it will be sloppy up here for awhile. Still hoping for a wet Spring, but I expect we will be riding earlier this year, maybe closing early for fire danger early too. In any case I will be keep my fingers crossed for a good riding We got 6" of heavy snow this past weekend so it looks like it will be sloppy up here for awhile. Still hoping for a wet Spring, but I expect we will be riding earlier this year, maybe closing for fire danger early too. Keeping fingers crossed...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gallup/Zuni Mts trail conditions...-dscn5660.jpg  

saddlemeat
    Not much riding on the mountain, just gravel roads, but the High Desert Trail is good.

Food tip: the Eagle Cafe at 221 W 66 Ave is under new management. The dude is a chef and is cranking out an awesome vintage menu as well as some more contemporary offerings. The lamb stew is superb.

mtbr member
    Thanks for keeping this thread alive. I've got some folks here interesting in doing a long weekend out there this spring to check out the trails. Hopefully you have enough to moisture to keep things under control fire-wise...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Heading out to Zunis this weekend. Are things drying out after the last snow or still sloppy? Deciding whether or not to bring the bike.

saddlemeat
    ^It's still real sloppy up there, even for hiking.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast