Thread: Gallup Info

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Gallup Info

I've done some research and it looks like there are enough trails in an around Gallup (High Desert trails and Zuni Mtns./McGaffey Rec. Area) for at least two solid days of riding. My question is, will these trails be rideable (snow free) in mid April? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Judging by the XC skiing photos I'm seeing in the McGaffey area this last month, I'd say that April is probably a bit early for that area, but you never know....

I tried doing the Dawn Till Dusk race on the HDT last April and we were snowed out within 1.5 hrs.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I lived in Gallup last year while working at the Indian Hospital and rode those trails a bunch. Depending on the weather the HDT is rideable all year. I think you would be fine in April. The trails at McGaffey will likely have snow in April. Usually it is not recommended to hit those trails until May. Between both places you have two days of riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    We have some land in the zunis at about the same elevation as McGaffey and I would agree April is a bit of a gamble but not out of the question. Just need to keep your eye on the conditions. But HDT should be good to go, weather permitting.

This site has lots of useful info and directions to specific trails. Has not been updated in a while but still largely relevant. https://sites.google.com/site/galluptrails2010/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. As the date gets closer, I'll be checking the weather.