mtbr member
    Jun 2005

FS Cedro Restoration Project-Comments due!

USDA Forest Service - Sandia Ranger District NEPA Projects - Cedro Landscapce Restoration Project
    Comments due May 10th. Most important thing I see here is FS proposal to ban mountain biking and equestrians from any "non-system" trail and their intent to obliterate "non-system" trails. Please read the documents on this link and provide comment as indicated.

As I see it, the FS already has laws on the books prohibiting illegal trail building, and this new proposal will have no effect on that. They don't enforce their existing rules now. Rather, they will obliterate non-designated trails, many that have been in existence for decades, and I've personally used for 50 years (yes I'm a ripe old 62 now). As an example, it would also prohibit anyone from having a "session" on a ledge or drop not on an "official" trail. I see riders doing that all the time, and frankly, I think it's a legitimate use of public land. I personally ride non-system trails all the time and enjoy the solitude and off the beaten path riding.

I honestly don't care if anyone agrees or disagrees with me on this, but I would encourage you to make your comments and we'll see what happens.
    Richard

(ps-also noticed the FS buried another proposal for the Faulty trail/armijo/sulfur canyon area on their web site). Looks to include a similar closure of "non-system" trails. Need to read through that still.
    Don't hate me because I'm Ti

mtbr member
    wow. This includes Otero and Tunnel Canyons, and according to the document riding trails like 3 Bottles would be illegal. That is unless you are hiking.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    The FS has another proposed action that I think Kerry linked to a while back where they are going to officially designate 3 bottles and several other trails, so you'll still be able to legally ride that.

mtbr member
    Right, that is why I said "trails like."

3 Bottles is probably one of the most popular unsanctioned trail in that area. This proposal makes it illegal to ride any trail not officially designated.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Sorry, didn't read carefully enough. You are correct! Seems to me the FS has kept this under the radar hoping nobody would find and read it..........

mtbr member
    Not trying to keep it under the radar as it's on the Schedule Of Proposed Actions just like everything else. I didn't post it because I'm not the lead on this project so they make the call as to where things are posted.

Please do submit comments according to the instructions on the Proposed Action. MTBR doesn't count...

mtbr member
    The scoping period for this project has been extended until the 28th of June. Additionally, there will be a public meeting at 6:30pm on the 20th of June at the Los Vecinos Community Center located at 478 New Mexico 333, Tijeras, NM. A link to Google Maps is here.

If you have SPECIFIC comments about trails in this area, submit them. General comments saying "I don't like this" are not considered. Do you have an idea for a trail or know of an existing one you want kept, then say so.

banned
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by skerry00 View Post
    The scoping period for this project has been extended until the 28th of June. Additionally, there will be a public meeting at 6:30pm on the 20th of June at the Los Vecinos Community Center located at 478 New Mexico 333, Tijeras, NM. A link to Google Maps is here.

If you have SPECIFIC comments about trails in this area, submit them. General comments saying "I don't like this" are not considered. Do you have an idea for a trail or know of an existing one you want kept, then say so.
    Many of these trails are not mapped, or have a name that I know of. Hopefully we can get some more comments about which of the trails that may be compromised are worthy of keeping...

Dick?

mtbr member
    That's what we're looking for. Specific info regarding existing trails and/or other ideas to complete the system, etc.