mtbr member

Front reflector mandatory in NM?

I ordered a flashlight mount for my bike, so I can just pop in one of those P7's from DX whenever I need to.

Is it OK to remove the front reflector though? Technically speaking I wouldn't have a light during the day, and I seem to recall it's mandatory here?

banned
    Nope! You must art least run a front reflector. Rear reflector is optional.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn. Biker123
    Nope!
    Bummer, for some reason it annoys me.

You must art least run a front reflector. Rear reflector is optional.
    Is it just me or does that not make any sense at all? I can definitely see the rear reflector being mandatory... in some places it's just mandatory to have it during darkness (or twilight). Nothing during the day.

Oh well... no sense in arguing about it on here I guess...

banned

That is the 'law', but....

I don't think that it is truly enforced. If you actually got cited for this offense, I would argue that the light ( as long as it was on ) would be adequate reflection.

That said...you probably won't find any MTB'rs, commuting or otherwise, that still running their reflectors. They are better on your person than on your bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Waves77
    I ordered a flashlight mount for my bike, so I can just pop in one of those P7's from DX whenever I need to.

Is it OK to remove the front reflector though? Technically speaking I wouldn't have a light during the day, and I seem to recall it's mandatory here?

I'll throw this out there ... just because:

(New Mexico Annotated Statutes Covering Bicycles)
    66-3-707. Lamps and other equipment on bicycles.

A. Every bicycle when in use at nighttime shall be equipped with a lamp on the front which shall emit a white light visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet to the front and with a red reflector on the rear of a type approved by the division which shall be visible from all distances from fifty feet to three hundred feet to the rear when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps on a motor vehicle. A lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear may be used in addition to the red reflector.

But sections B and C are really ....(insert Maka'ism here).

B. No person shall operate a bicycle unless it is equipped with a bell or other device capable of giving a signal audible for a distance of at least one hundred feet, except that a bicycle shall not be equipped with, nor shall any person use upon a bicycle any siren or whistle.

C. Every bicycle shall be equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make the brake wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement.

So much for the fixie crowd.

S
    If we want this sport to be a success, we need more categories. That way everyone can have a medal.

mtbr member
    Don't have a bell either

It's probably nothing to worry about right? Don't foresee APD doing stake outs to catch bikers without lights (which they do in the Netherlands, where I'm from).

mtbr member
    Never really thought about it, but I guess I really should have a bell, light and reflectors for that ride from the bottom of REM back around to Pacheco Canyon. Hmm...I wonder if I could get down REM without ripping my bell and lights off?
    "My life's ambition is to see a musical version of MacBeth performed by chickens."

banned
    Maka can make it down with all of his PPE
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mtn. Biker123; 10-20-2008 at 07:03 AM.

mtbr member
    as an alternative you could get some self-adhesive reflective strips

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NE2NM
    as an alternative you could get some self-adhesive reflective strips
    Yeah, no desire to be a bike ninja, but the reflectors are just a bit useless where they are.

Funny thing, I was checking out that free Abq bicycle map - has some picture of cops on bikes, none of them have reflectors. I'll
    think I'll take mine off and make sure I keep that map around for evidence

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarvis
    I'll throw this out there ... just because:

(New Mexico Annotated Statutes Covering Bicycles)
    66-3-707. Lamps and other equipment on bicycles.

C. Every bicycle shall be equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make the brake wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement.

So much for the fixie crowd.

S
    The chain is the brake. There is no problem getting the tire to skid on clean dry pavement. Also there is no mention of requiring a front brake so fixies are still good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crux
    The chain is the brake. There is no problem getting the tire to skid on clean dry pavement.
    That's what Ayla Holland thought ...and when she took it to court, with her lawyer, she lost.

http://bikeportland.org/2006/07/28/j...t-with-fixies/

The Oregon statute reads:

A bicycle must be equipped with a brake that enables the operator to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement. strong enough to skid tire.

The New Mexico statute reads:

Every bicycle shall be equipped with a brake which will enable the operator to make the brake wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement.

Sounds pretty familiar because, as with most western states, the Oregon vehicle code was originally based off of California's vehicle code (California just happened to have a vehicle code long before many other states).

Quote Originally Posted by crux
    Also there is no mention of requiring a front brake so fixies are still good.
    I can't wait until the next person takes that issue to court, and the court asks to see the rider skid the bike ... using the front brake.

At least it's not like NORBA and other racing organizations .... requiring brakes on both wheels. I don't think I used by back brake once at Dawn til Dusk.

S
    If we want this sport to be a success, we need more categories. That way everyone can have a medal.

Thread Pollution